Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scary Games

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Online games.. You have to interact with, realPeopleeee!!! ..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

lol wut

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Scary games don't really scare me much. There's the occasional "caught off guard" scare where you turn around to find something that wasn't there a second ago is there or an enemy makes a loud and flashy entrance that's isn't foreshadowed. Otherwise, I don't get freaked out as much as I should.

Probably the only game that has ever truly unnerved me was Vagrant Story but I blame it on the narrative, the visual aesthetics, and the music. Not to mention the game is quite hard so dying is a real reality for you and save points are few and far between which makes every boss fight a scary endeavor. I don't think I've ever feared dragons as much as I do in VS. The one part that always gets me is when you go into the Undercity. Everytime you enter this place, the location opens up with the sound a church bell in the distant and it basically is an abandoned city brimming with the undead and lost souls of the city.

Usually when you enter, you start hearing the sound of children giggling and laughing. You look around in the unearthly blue light given off by the flames that light the streets and notice the floor is moving towards and then you go into attack mode and find yourself swarmed by four or five Quicksilvers. These creatures are marionette dolls possessed by the souls of children who died in war or from illness. That's what's making the laughing noises... Its all accompanied by this track and the place is crawling with all manners of evil. Seriously when basic undead zombies and walking corpses are the seen as sign of relief you know you have trouble. The Quicksilvers travel in packs and attack from all sides, usually waiting for you to get towards the center of the rooms before attacking. Harpies are giant Emu like birds with human faces that casts curses on you that allow everything else in the place to murder you faster, and this also the place you start meeting the Lich spirits as normal creatures including one room that has Death itself who is so powerful he can only be killed after a few New Game+. Throw in the fact the place is a bit of a maze and the enemies respawn quickly and attack you in ways where you get turned around rather easily. It doesn't take much to find yourself lost in the undercity.

This is not all helped by the fact that the powers showcased in the game makes several cutscenes feel like mind trips cause you seriously can't trust anyone or anything...

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Eldritch Horror, anyone?

I wonder if he sells nothing?

I'd also like to add Condemned 2 and Siren Blood Curse. Which from the looks of this thread are two very underrated titles. I'd go as far to say they are the only scary games released on this generation of consoles.

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

fewgh56h
    Last edited by Nominus Experse; 03-17-2014 at 02:54 PM.

I just get bent on games that require things jumping out at you in dark places to scare you. There are lots of games good at this type of scary, but very few games set the whole mood to leave you feeling dread constantly. That's the type of scary I prefer. When you're playing something like Doom 3 you're half expecting the next sudden creature to jump out of the dark.

It's like a scary movie that builds up suspenseful music and then it's suddenly a cat jumping out and making an noise.... except that's the whole damned movie. To hell with that. Actually leave me feeling ill at ease. That's a lot scarier than scripted spooky moments every few steps.

Hell, the second level of Thief 1 (in the burial chamber) is scarier than most games that attempt to be scary these days.

Blog Entries

I'm a a huge fan of the Silent Hill series, although they've gradually been descending into Suckville. Silent Hill 2 is awesome though.

And Dead Space really creeped me out when I played it -- very unsettling.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Any game featuring Barbie.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Silent Hill 2 always and forever.

The Pyramid Head rape scene is so smurfed up it still haunts me to this day.

anyone play penumbra?

after that one, in all honesty, i couldn't find dead space or silent hill or pretty much any horror game to be even close to the level of scariness that penumbra makes you endure.

there aren't so many holy-god-where'd-that-monster-come-from moments so much as there's just constant and horrifyingly suspenseful tension that makes you see a shadow and nearly go into cardiac arrest.

you're in a seemingly abandoned and pitch-black mine shaft, your flashlight is good for all of two seconds, and they don't even give you a gun.
    leather transcends gender

Ominous Wanderer Tech Admin Samuraid's Avatar

Penumbra: Black Plague

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

A bunch of folk have talked about Penumbra which was scary, and SH obviously, but this game:

Quote Originally Posted by razorrozar7 View Post
    Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth.
    Scared the living bat out of me. In fact, I never finished it.

Every time i enter a fog gate to fight a boss battle in Demon's Souls it makes me more scared than any of the Silent Hill/Resident Evil games ever did.Especially worlds 3.1,3.2,5.1 and 5.2 are seriously smurfed up.Of course the fear of loosing all the souls you carry plays a role too.

I have the first Project Zero game and all three Siren games but unfortunately i haven't really played them yet.