Thread: Point and Click Adventure

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default Point and Click Adventure

Ah, the greatest genre of the 90's! Sadly I don't see to many of them these days. What's your favorite though? and are you still playing them?

My favorite is Grim Fandango. Lots of great humour and enough of a challenge. Unlike certain games, you don't have to combine two obscure items and use it to do something that makes absolutely no sense! Eh, I love Leisure Suit Larry regardless!

I've seen news about Monkey Island 2 getting released for PSN, I can't wait to try that. I've never gotten really into a Monkey Island game before. I've tried one of the games, but I don't think I got far. The reason probably being me refusing to use a walkthrough and the game being insanely hard if you don't use one!

I'm also currently playing Black Mirror. So far it's quite slow, but I think stuff is about to pick up.

Blog Entries

My all-time favorite games are still: "Dracula Resurrection" and "Dracula 2: The Last Sanctuary". I have so many great memories playing these games, and I never, ever, get tired of plowing through them.

"Necronomicon: The Dawning of Darkness", "Amerzone" and the "Myst" series are worth mentioning, too.

I absolutely love the Monkey Island games, and replay them quite often. I also have a nostalgic attachment to LOOM, although I don't like it as much as the MI series.

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Haha, Loom. I think any attachment I have to that game is nostalgic as well. I imagine that game must be almost unplayable for most people today.

Aww i love the monkey island games.
    Am currently playing Sam and Max: The Devils Toybox series and they are brilliant so far. Some great humour in there. Max has become one of my favorite games characters!

I did have one for the NES when I was a kid, I can't remember the name of it though. I remember that when you punched the wall, it used to say "Ouch, that smarts!" It was a fun game.

Other than that, the only other point and click games I like are the FASCO games (Crimson room etc). Shame he stopped making them.

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

I've been thinking about this genre lately as I've been playing a copy of Heavy Rain lent to me by a friend. It's a curious take on the Point-Click genre, although the player is a lot more passive rather than active in the proceedings. It's also a bit rhythm-y with the heavy use of quick-time events and sets up some really exciting and tense scenarios. Unique, but it doesn't provide the same amount of satisfaction is a really good adventure.

Anyway, this is kind of off-topic, but I was thinking about HR in relation to the Point n Click genre last night and figured I'd mention it here. With Heavy Rain being successful (is it?) maybe there will start to be an influx of adventure-styled gaming soon.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Phantasmagoria series, just to Riff on with friends

Syberia 1+2, probably the last point and click adventure game to come out. Great music, good story. Only problem is that it can be a little slow if you have to move 7 screens to get somewhere

And my all time favorite: Indiana Jones - Fate of Atlantis

Quote Originally Posted by Levian View Post
    Haha, Loom. I think any attachment I have to that game is nostalgic as well. I imagine that game must be almost unplayable for most people today.
    I would think so. It would be nice to get an updated version of it.

I recently played a demo of a hidden object game called Robinson Crusoe and the Cursed Pirates that paid a lot of homage to Monkey Island. It was a good game on its own, but all that MI nostalgia is what sucked me into it to begin with.

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

Last edited by Nominus Experse; 03-17-2014 at 02:54 PM.

I had an obsession with many point and click Sierra games back in the early 90's. King's Quest, Space Quest, Police Quest, and the Quest for Glory series were all fantastic. I think the games that stand out the most to me are King's Quest V, King's Quest VI, Space Quest IV, Space Quest V, and Quest for Glory IV. Even Inca 2 was hilarious to play.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Haven't played many of these in my time, but they've been good. Zack and Wiki was a nice new attempt at rebooting the genre on Wii.

man I miss that golden age of point n click.
    I remember going over to my friends house and his dad would always be bringing home new shareware demos of various adventure games to try out.
    Sadly I don't remember the names of half of them.
    I never got in to Monkey Island... thinking about trying out the remakes.

Machinarium was a recent high profile addition to this genre, but aside from the beautiful art style, I felt it was kind of lame.

Pajama.

smurfing.

Sam.

edit: also Shadowgate. I had the GBC port, Shadowgate Classic, and oh sweet sweet lovin' that game was the tits

Oh gawd yes! "Point and click" adventure games used to be tha shizz back in the days!

I especially remember playing King's Quest VII a whole lot as a kid. Also Myst, and a bunch of other games I've sadly forgotten the names of.