Thread: Sixaxis controller not working

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

Default Sixaxis controller not working

Hey all. Question here:

I was playing some Fallout 3 earlier when my controller started making the characters run in circles and generally wouldn't respond to my button presses. I switch off the controller and change to a second one, thinking it's just a typical Fallout bug that's caused it. When I try to use the first one again, it flat out won't turn on.

So, to recap: Started going haywire, and stopped working altogether.

I got it with the PS3 slim back in January. My girlfriend and I both play fairly regularly, so it's seen a ton of use. So is the thing smurfed, or is it just the battery? Is it possible to just change the battery, or what? Any suggestions from those who have encountered a similar problem?

Thanks very much in advance.

Blog Entries

I don't know if I can provide a definitive answer for you, but I encountered a similar problem with one of my controllers where the down directional button would constantly register as pressed and it'd make gameplay and menu selection processes an absolute nightmare.

It ended up being a dust issue and all I had to do was take it apart and go over it with a bit of a dab with a damp cotton bud and a good spray of compressed air to fix it. But I'm a bit reluctant to say that your problem is the same as mine, since I never experienced any problems with it not turning on.

have you tried resetting the controller, there's a small pinhole located next to a screw on the underside of the SixAxis, that 's the SixAxis Reset Switch, try plugging the controller directly into the console to see if that powers it up, if so hit that reset switch under the SixAxis, hold it for like 10 seconds before releasing it, if that doesn't work check the manual that came with the PS3 for troubleshooting tips, if all else fails you may need to buy a new SixAxis or call Sony Support...