Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your final Final Fantasy

Articles
    Blog Entries

Well, the answer is FFXII. It's a little more complicated than that.

I mean I want to say FFXIII is the last one for me and shrug. It's not the best FF, but it's not a bad game and there's a lot of things this FF-team did right in this generation that's actually pretty astounding considering this is their first game on the PS3 and 360.

But I'm going with XII because FFXIII only showed how ahead of its time FFXII was.

I also want to say FFX, because I did enjoy that like I liked VII-IX, and XII didn't have that Final Fantasy feel. So that was the last game in the series to have that FF vibe to it AND be good.

But I'm still going to give it to XII. Like I said, in 2010, nearly 4 years later, I have to say DAMN that game was waaay ahead of its time. With a slight upscaling this would look and just be better than most ps3/360 games made today, while keeping that same feel. I mean XII was basically a bold answer from Japan to KoTOR, and that game's progeny like Mass Effect are what the kids playing RPG's today worship. I mean it had seamless battles (XIII didn't), an actual world with tons of places to explore from nearly the beginning of the game, you can customize the battles deeper than Paradigms, and it looked good enough to pass off as (or better than) an early PS3/360 game.

All I'm trying to say is they should've split the XII team into two like they did after FFVI and have them both work on "next-gen" Final Fantasies, because that was clearly the team to go with.

Hopefully with Matsuno, Sakimoto, Minagawa and Yoshida all working on Tactics Ogre they may actually come together and do a PS3 game. Seriously, after thinking about all this, that's one of the best teams in gaming they should be seriously thinking about a game right now.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

FFX undoubtedly.

X-2, XI, XII and XIII just haven't held that same awesomeness I felt with all the others, even though I like them all.

But don't get me wrong. I still love the series, and was super excited for XIII and can't wait for Versus XIII.
    Last edited by DMKA; 08-26-2010 at 03:23 PM.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

All I'm trying to say is they should've split the XII team into two like they did after FFVI and have them both work on "next-gen" Final Fantasies, because that was clearly the team to go with.
    Most of FF12 members worked on The Last Remnant on PC/360 excluding few key members moved to work on other projects.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I always felt Last Remnant was sitting on a HUGE untaped potential. I was very disappointed it came up as shallow and unrefined as it did.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ShinGundam View Post
    Most of FF12 members worked on The Last Remnant on PC/360 excluding few key members moved to work on other projects.
    I know the producer worked on it, but I didn't think that many worked on Last Remnant. That game was almost sent to die really.

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

at this moment it would be X.

Here's to hoping XV will be magical.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ShinGundam View Post
    I know the producer worked on it, but I didn't think that many worked on Last Remnant. That game was almost sent to die really.
    Over-budgeting and the new software technology are both deadly sins that harmed SE, You can see that clearly on FF10,FF12,FF13 and now FF14 for the lack of endgame content.

The last Amazing FF -- Final Fantasy VI
    The last Great FF -- Final Fantasy IX
    The last Real FF -- Final Fantasy X
    As if it hasn't been said enough. XIII is too Scifi for me to call it a FF. 12 is about as much as a main FF as Tactics.
    If it was up to me I would've stopped at X. I'm not about to play XIII until I feel the need to complete it to satisfy my obsession.

I've never played anything beyond IX and I don't particularly wish to.

Slanted and Enchanted Shotgunnova's Avatar

IX marked the last time an installment truly captivated me. I didn't stop paying its follow-ups, but I should've.

The last Amazing FF -- Final Fantasy VI
    The last Great FF -- Final Fantasy IX
    The last Real FF -- Final Fantasy X
    This.

Even tho I don't love X as much as a lot of people, it still has a certain charm that newer games lack. XII has the crystal theme and prelude theme right in the intro, but it doesn't feel very FF to me. Instead, it feels like it's trying too hard to be FF. Take the "Final Fantasy" out of the title of XIII, and you have just another JRPG. I have never really played XI, so I have no commentary on that.

For me, the series ended with XII. Merely for the fact that you could no longer summon the good old boys. I mean come on, that pissed me off for weeks. Then I got over it. XII was a really awesome game. I'm not sure yet how I feel about XIII.

I really love the series, but XIII was bittersweet. I'm becoming less and less thrilled with recycled JRPG and anime character stereotypes. However, I'm hoping Ageto XIII is ok. I personally have no problem with change, as long as the games are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Nomura, who has been blasted by fans for ruining the series is about the only guy over there who seems to get what makes a game and actually gets the series anymore and in a way that's kinda sad...
    I've generally lumped both Kitase and Nomura in the same pile and blasted them both, so could you explain your views on Nomura a bit?

Anyways, I really like the topic of this thread, because it implies that Final Fantasy is about the essence of the game, not the title it's given. For me, FFX is the last traditional Final Fantasy made by Square. Then Sakaguchi left, and I think the FF spirit went with him. I've read a lot of people saying that Lost Odyssey should have been an FF (though I've never played it), and now we have The Last Story on the way. It is my impression that these games are attempts to reach a level of sophistication that has not been seen in a Square game for a very long time (with the exception of FXII, which I agree is more like a 'guest' entry). With X-2, Compilation of FFVII, FFXI online, XIII, etc., I no longer get the feeling that Square games are works of artistic expression, but rather that each one is 'just another anime game from japan aimed at a teenage audience.' We've already seen these compromises in action from the developmental standpoint as well - If i recall correctly, Basch would have been the main character of FFXII had Matsuno been in charge long enough... but after he was gone, it was changed to Vaan (of all people) so that the game would appeal to a younger crowd. Sakaguchi, however, still appears passionate about making fantastic games without compromise, and that's probably the reason why he left Square in the first place. To me, it seems the only thing holding him back at this point is the budget.

Nomura has been working on the games since FF4. He started out as a debugger, and in V and VI he did some of the graphics designing.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

On that topic I prefer belts to capes. At least belts can have a practical purpose!