Thread: Back to school...

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Back to school...

Many people are starting school again in the next few weeks.

My question: What is your first class you're taking when you return to school this semester?

My first day, my first and only class is History 353;

HIS 353 ​- J: Postwar Japan

This course provides an in-depth look at post World War II Japanese society, culture, and political-economy. We will take up a number of debates on topics such as the postwar "miracle," technocracy vs. democracy, mass consumer culture, Japanese youth, postwar feminism, US-Japan relations, and war memory.
    Nihon ^___~;;;;

Blog Entries

My first class is on Tuesday at 8:00 AM, and it's General Methods Secondary, which is a class about lessons for secondary classrooms that coincides with my TA placement at a high school. I learn methods in the class, and then apply them in a real classroom.

And directly after it, I have a class on Shakespeare.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

That's really cool, Clo! I took a class where I prepared elementary and secondary lesson plans, and then you taught them out to a group of your classmates. It was really fun, we never had any tests, minimal essay writing, and I got an A! It was all hands-on work. Best class I ever took. It wasn't even a methods class either, it was Children's Psychology class for people going into teaching. We had to apply points of children's psychology within the lesson plans, of course, which was the very best way to learn it.

My first class is Western Civilization II: 1650 - Present (Western Civilization I covered everything prior). It is from 10:10 - 11:00am on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. It is the first Friday course I have had since I started school. The first day we talked about the syllabus, the second day we talked about the Defenestration of Prague (the second one), and today we discussed Guy Fawkes and the Gunpowder Plot. Both of these took place before 1650 but it is history so you kind of have to learn about them before the other things. We also talked about legos, since a Defenestration of Prague lego set exists and that is how you know something is important.

My other classes are Introduction to Statistics, Humanities: From Medieval to Modern (which ties into my History class somewhat) and Geology. I'm also taking a course in Human Geography but decided to drop it because I cannot stand the teacher. I will be replacing it with History of Islamic Civilizations, which starts September 14th and is a ten week class meeting on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

I guess I'll mention that my other classes, which are on Tuesday and Thursdays (my T-Ths are like a marathon of classes non-stop, splendid...), are...

EGL 320: Literature of Hiroshima and Vietnam
    EGL 204: Literary Analysis and Argumentation (fun...)
    AST 102: Introduction to Astronomy (This is going to be the best class ever. So psyched that I get out of taking a labbed science)
    WRT 102: Writing (Extremely lame. Easy A, but jesus christ, I already tested out of this in my last university, why can't my current university accept that?)

Blog Entries

Oh, my other classes are:

• EDU 461: Methods English. Similar to my other Methods class, except this is about specifically ELA lesson plans and literacy in middle school and high school. Also goes with my TA.
    • ENG 420: History of the English Novel I. I get to read a bunch of old British novels, RIGHT-O CHAPS. I'm actually very excited for this class, because I love the professor and I've only ever taken Victorian Poetry and early British poetry classes with him, so I'm excited to do a novel class with the man.
    • ENG 490: English Senior Seminar. I'm supposed to take everything I learned in all my English classes and apply it to the wonderful world of careers, or something.

And that makes five classes!

And two jobs.

EDIT:
    EGL 320: Literature of Hiroshima and Vietnam
    Oh, I hope you read Hershey's Hiroshima! I loved that book. It was so interesting.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, that's on my reading list. Glad to hear it's good! I have a huge stack of books from that class alone to read. Lots of Kenzaburo Oe. Between that and my Japanese History course I have over 20 books I need to read this semester. XD

I've started reading some of the books so far. I'm reading The Crazy Iris right now. Hiroshima literature is gorgeous, but so, so, so disturbing. But isn't that part of beauty?

AST 102: Introduction to Astronomy (This is going to be the best class ever. So psyched that I get out of taking a labbed science)
    I was going to drop my Geology class and take this until I met my Geology teacher. I ended up talking to him for about 45 minutes or so after class on the first day and he's a really likable guy.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I just finished my first week.

~*allie's life*~
    Thermal Systems and Design (3hrs)
    Creative Project I - Solar Boat (2 hrs)
    Professional Engineering Practices (1hr)
    Intro to Micro Electro-Mechanical Systems (3hrs, grad level class!)
    Honors research (no credit hours, but a lot of work, and it will follow along with Intro to MEMS)
    Intro to Linguistics (3 hrs)
    University Physics III (3hrs, plus lab, 1 hr)

and tutoring/grading for Mechanics of Fluids.

lucky ducks

enjoy school while it lasts~
    leather transcends gender

Cellular and molecular biology of infectious diseases.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm in the middle of finishing up my dissertation for my Master's degree. The topic is the strategic situation of the Byzantine Empire and the means the empire used to survive for so long. After that is done (Which is now less than a week away, tops) I will be done with university for some time, which saddens me, but there it is.

Blog Entries

Well, I'm still in high school. xD My first class when I come back is Chemistry. Should be easy. Really easy.
    Era Vulgaris
    "My life's a chip in your pile. Ante up!" ~Setzer, FFVI

"Knights do it two-handed!" ~Drunkard, FFV

Articles
    Blog Entries

Transference of history and culture. It's totally gonna suck.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

My first class of Junior year is Art of Editing on Tuesday at 9:00 AM. Not excited about my first class being so early in the morning, but meh. I'm very excited about this class because it's taught by a very renown editor who has since retired from editing and is now trying to ease his way out of the business by teaching at a university. We'll probably be learning a lot about the theory of editing more so than the technological aspects.