Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gaming series that haven't let you down

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian XIII View Post
    Half-Life first comes to mind.
    Dude, totally.

I retract my previous answer, Half Life is one.
    I knew I still had faith in the gaming world.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Anything made by Valve as well as Starcraft. I can't really think of much else after mulling it over since yesterday. If Nintendo had stopped making games after the N64 I might be able to say things like Mario or Zelda, but those have kind of started ting the bed starting with the Gamecube titles.

Mario and Metroid mostly. Metroid Prime Hunters was crap, but I'm ignoring it completely. Mario games are always fun, the main ones anyways. I would say Zelda, but Spirit tracks sucked IMO. It was the first Zelda I had to force myself to complete.

Final Fantasy probably as well, though I haven't played through all of them. Essentially it just means there were games in the series that I liked (X for example) but didn't love and moved onto another game before beating it.

I enjoyed the Megaman Battle Network series. Fire Emblem, up until Radiant Dawn (was the first Fire Emblem where it felt worthless to train up the starting characters as they ended up worse than the later characters anyways). Advance Wars is a great series. Mario + Luigi series. Megaman Zero/ZX series are great too. God of War series is pretty good. Assassin's Creed, first wasn't outstanding but not bad either IMO, but the 2nd was awesome, and the next looks even better.

Half-Life is a good one people mentioned. Donkey Kong Country is another good one. No More Heroes was exactly on par with my expectations.

How could I forget.. MONSTER HUNTER.

There are a lot of series that I enjoy most of the games, with some bad eggs.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Blog Entries

I forgot to mention Rival Schools, Darkstalkers, Mega Man Zero, and Monster Hunter. How the **** could I?

It's really messed up that a lot of consistently good series are from Capcom.
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rantzien View Post
    Monkey Island
    Make that a smiley, or you'll be wearing my sword like a shish-kebab

there was a picture here

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Clo View Post
    Silent Hill hasn't disappointed you? Some of them have been lackluster recently.
    -4 was great
    -Origins was good although it had too many respawning monsters. The mental asylum was huge and one of the best areas in Silent Hill altogether imo.
    -5 was disappointing at first, but it grew on me, and it has a couple of Silent Hill's most spine-chilling moments as well.
    -Shattered Memories was awesome again. I love the concept of not fighting monsters at all. It's why Clock Tower is one of my favorite games.

That leaves the first three games, which are pretty much universally agreed on to be great games, and it's something I agree with as well.

So, nope! it hasn't disappointed me.

Quote Originally Posted by Levian View Post
    -4 was great
    Thank god I'm not alone on that one. SH4 is my second favourite in the series, behind SH2.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Suikoden, Disgaea, Guilty Gear..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Articles
    Blog Entries

Definitely FF. It kinda sucks that there's nothing to do in FFXIII except battle, but the game has a great score, many character archs throughout its story, breathtaking visuals, and a next-gen battle system.

Metal Gear Solid is obviously up there as well. Every game has been nothing short of a masterpiece, up to and including the recent release of Peace Walker on the PSP. Portable Ops was definitely at least one step below, but that was not directed by Hideo Kojima so I refuse to acknowledge it, despite its canonical status :P

God of War is another, I feel every entry has gotten better and better, and even Chains of Olympus on the PSP was pretty impressive as far as cinematic action-adventure titles go on a handheld. GoWIII had arguably the best opening play sequence to any video game, period, and although the ending was not as stellar as the other high points, it still had so much throughout to really distinguish it as an artistic achievement in video games.

The Team Ico games, if they are sequential in some way, are classics as well.

The Uncharted series is only 2 games, but I've seen people listing KoTor and Mass Effect, so screw it... Although the first one seems dated for the mere fact that the second game is one of the best action/puzzle/platformers ever made, it's still a great game as well, and even though it was made in 2007 as a first-generation PS3 game, it's still one of the best looking games this generation and nearly 3 years later has yet to be visually topped by anything the PS3's competitors.

I guess Motorstorm may as well be placed in the same category as well.

I would say the main GTA games since III, which has arguably been a new series, but I can't vouch for I or II or the London/whatever expansion so maybe that should be left out?

So yeah, there's actually a lot for me, even (and maybe especially) this generation, I'm sure I could think of others if I had the time...

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Im surprised how many people mentioned FF.. Im a die hard fan and I still love the series but some people have to admit that FF13 is the truly disappointment of the whole series..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm skipping series that only have two entries cause it just seems kinda silly to say these two games that came out recently are awesome while a series that been going on for 20+ years gets the shaft cause its had more opportunities to fail.

Breath of Fire oddly enough, I love the major black sheep in the series (BoFV) and the only entry I feel is weak is the first entry and even then it seems rather unfair to judge it so harshly. I still like the game, its just not as awesome as its sequels.

I'd say Suikoden as well though I have yet to play the DS entry so this might change.

Street Fighter is up there, I haven't really played a terrible entry (buggy and archaic yes, but not actually bad) but to be fair fighting games tend to be the type of genre where if you like one entry in the series you tend to like the whole series, mostly cause sequels tend to only offer subtle enhancements that hardcore players will notice.

MGS is another great series, I know I've bitched and moaned about MGS4 downplaying stealth for more third person element but it doesn't mean I didn't like the game or thought it was terrible.

Persona has become this, yes most fans can't stomach the first entries and prefer the high school sim entries, but I really do like the whole series. Persona 1's story plays like a an old B-Movie that is so bad its good in just how ridiculous it is, P2 did an excellent job of balancing legitimate creepiness and scares with some campy elements on the side. Even P3 and P4 hold onto the campy aspect though its downplayed in favor of anime high school hi-jinks. Still, I really don't believe there is a bad entry in the series yet. Let's hope P5 keeps up the good work and even more, let's pray Atlus will do a PSP port of both P2 games.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Persona has become this, yes most fans can't stomach the first entries and prefer the high school sim entries,
    Orly? I tried playing P4 and found the high school sim elements made it unplayable. Maybe I should give P1 & 2 a look.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Suikoden, easily. Other than that... maybe Metal Gear Solid.

My first thought when I read the title was Suikoden, so I'm going with that. No other name really comes to mind. While I enjoy most of the FF titles now there was a time where I hated FF8, and only began to like it later, so I can't really say it's never let me down.