Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metroid: Other M

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Metroid: Other M

Does anyone else have it yet?

I'm enjoying it a lot. A review I read said that it's ahead of its time in how it blends elements, and I agree. It's hard to say it's a worthy successor to Super Metroid, but it's certainly a huge advancement for the series.

Also, the introduction is amazing. They managed to take what was already one of the most amazing segments in gaming and make it feel even grander and more dramatic than it already was. It gave me chills.

certainly a gorgeous game. Not sure how I feel about the auto lock on though... I need to give it more time though. I have barely played it considering I started the FFXIV Beta and played some Monster Hunter Tri. Plus I still need to beat Arc Rise Fantasia!

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

It is pretty rad, but this game does have it's share of bull and demons.

The first one was the changing of enviroments with their wierd VR tech. What bothered me is that by covering the area in the illusion, there is a hole in it that reveals a crack in the real wall you couldn't see before...

How the hell does that even work?

And the parts you are forced to slow down, or where you have to scan the area for a specific thing, a couple of them are just annoying as sin. Like the bugs that both move and blend in with the ground.

Other then that, outside of an occasional hiccup in switching between first and third person, it's quite awesome.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Its on my list of games to pick up. I'm pretty excited for it actually.

It definitely has its problems, almost entirely due to the control scheme. Unsurprising for the Wiimote.

The auto-lock on makes most battles way, way too easy. You just run around, pulling the trigger, and things die. That's pretty much half the combat in the game, and it gets boring fast.

The other half of the combat is gimmicky and annoying. To use missiles, you need to be in first person mode, which not only severely cuts your vision (as turning while in first person mode is rather annoyingly slow), but also prevents you from moving. And, yeah, that just gets frustrating.

Trying to destroy a hive churning out bugs constantly with missiles while simultaneously trying to evade and destroy the bugs necessitates constant POV changes, and gets frustrating when you can't get enough time to lock on (which is required for a missile shot), or a bug steps in front of your missile.

Then there are the flashy moves. Jump on top of an enemy, and shoot a charge shot into its head for an insta-kill, or run up to a downed enemy with your charged shot for a similar deathblow. Unfortunately, the platforming is rather annoying for jumping on enemies, especially when they are all moving around. But, more than that, these just feel unnecessary. They're tacked on just to prevent you from being bored with the constant power beam spam (not that it prevents that), but are too annoying to activate, and nearly impossible to do without.

And, my final gripe, enemies don't drop health or missiles anymore. And this is just a WTF moment. With controls as unwieldly and gimmicky as this, you really, really need a constant supply of health. You have basically unlimited missiles, which is nice, but when an enemy can take out 30 energy in one hit, and you can't replenish except at a save station, you do not have kind feelings towards this game.

This game felt a little out of place to me. It doesn't feel like Metroid, which is a big disappointment after all the games that came before it. It lacks the simple elegance that Metroid's combat has always had in exchange for gimmicks and flashiness.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    And, my final gripe, enemies don't drop health or missiles anymore. And this is just a WTF moment. With controls as unwieldly and gimmicky as this, you really, really need a constant supply of health. You have basically unlimited missiles, which is nice, but when an enemy can take out 30 energy in one hit, and you can't replenish except at a save station, you do not have kind feelings towards this game.
    That's what concentration mode is for. I mean, I agree with you to some extent that it's silly to not have them drop assist items, but if your health is in the red, there is an opportunity to heal. You just have to be strategic about your timing on it.

Just beat the game, and I staying up until 7am in the morning to do it. And I must say, what the ever loving smurf was this?

I mean for the love of god, they actually had a good premise for some storytelling and they shot everything to hell. Samus's character remains terrible beginning to end, everything is predictable as smurf, and that was a completely horrid ending.

For christs sake, I'm just stopping now before I start foaming at the mouth and end up in need of someone chucking raw meat at me.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    Just beat the game, and I staying up until 7am in the morning to do it. And I must say, what the ever loving smurf was this?

I mean for the love of god, they actually had a good premise for some storytelling and they shot everything to hell. Samus's character remains terrible beginning to end, everything is predictable as smurf, and that was a completely horrid ending.

For christs sake, I'm just stopping now before I start foaming at the mouth and end up in need of someone chucking raw meat at me.
    FYI, there's more to do after you beat the game, including a 2nd final boss so I hear. Plus it's more like the traditional Metroid where you can go anywhere and use your abilities freely and stuff to explore.

THE JACKAL

Other M looks awesome. Makes me wish I had a Wii. Altough I don't understand why they have focused on developing Samus as a character. The appeal of the character was that she was the silent bounty hunter. Seems a bit off having her moping around like she has PMS.

Also giving Team Ninja the responsibility of creating a story sounds like a disaster.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Love the commercial. watched reviews, need this game.

Quote Originally Posted by ljkkjlcm9 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post

FYI, there's more to do after you beat the game, including a 2nd final boss so I hear. Plus it's more like the traditional Metroid where you can go anywhere and use your abilities freely and stuff to explore.

THE JACKAL
    Yeah, after that BS, I have no desire to waste more time on it. I'll just youtube the second ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    Other M looks awesome. Makes me wish I had a Wii. Altough I don't understand why they have focused on developing Samus as a character. The appeal of the character was that she was the silent bounty hunter. Seems a bit off having her moping around like she has PMS.

Also giving Team Ninja the responsibility of creating a story sounds like a disaster.
    Team Ninja did not create the story, it was done by Yoshi Sakomoto, who IS Metroid
    Following the original Metroid, Sakamoto has directed all Metroid games produced internally by Nintendo except Metroid II: Return of Samus. These are Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, and Metroid: Zero Mission. He also supervised the production of Retro Studios's Metroid Prime series. Sakamoto also directed Metroid: Other M which was co-developed with Team Ninja.
    Essentially, the character is what Sakomoto had envisioned, and many fans of the series had different ideas and are complaining and blaming Team Ninja and etc, when it's really been the idea the whole time. Metroid Fusion definitely was similar in character to Other M.

Fun side fact. Yoshi Sakomoto is who Yoshi(the Dino) is named after in Mario.

THE JACKAL

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, the gameplay is great, but the story is the worst smurfing thing ever. Samus is not a damsel-in-distress ever. That may be what he wanted, but she went in a totally different direction. She wasn't even that bad in Fusion - introspective, but never flat-out a wuss. The part with Ridley just made me lose all faith in the storytelling. Inner conflict and introspection is fine, I mean, Samus kinda has always had that. But they just made her so smurfing weak. She's a badass bounty hunter! It's just wrong.

That said, I like a lot of the gameplay, aside from dropping the pick-up support items. It's a genuinely fun game. The story is just atrocious.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

From what I've heard...

- Samus is portrayed as a subservient to some dude, is sexualized, and can't stop droning on in monologue about emotional crap. She's suddenly be turned from a mute protagonist who gets the job done to an overly emotional SOOOO DEEEEEEEEPPP character
    - The only way you can choose what to shoot is in first person mode, during which time you cannot move
    - To refill your health and missiles all you have to do is hold down a button, to "focus" (dear god is there any challenge at all?)

I don't know, it doesn't sound very promising, but if I ever get a Wii I'll probably still play it.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    From what I've heard...

- Samus is portrayed as a subservient to some dude, is sexualized, and can't stop droning on in monologue about emotional crap. She's suddenly be turned from a mute protagonist who gets the job done to an overly emotional SOOOO DEEEEEEEEPPP character
    - The only way you can choose what to shoot is in first person mode, during which time you cannot move
    - To refill your health and missiles all you have to do is hold down a button, to "focus" (dear god is there any challenge at all?)

I don't know, it doesn't sound very promising, but if I ever get a Wii I'll probably still play it.
    1. Yes. It sucks.
    2. Yes, but it's not quite as bad as you might think. I'd still like to be able to shoot missiles without first person, and maybe put back a reliance on scanning things (it's really under-utilized).
    3. Yes, but you can only refill your health when it's glowing red (I think it's <50% on your last tank) and it takes time to refill, and it only fills your first tank at first (you can get upgrades to refill more but they're very sparse, I'm almost at the end and only can get up to 2). You have to basically stand still for about 20 seconds, totally defenseless, to get your health and missiles. It can make battles fairly intense, but admittedly I still prefer pickups.