Thread: SE wishes to "Illuminate" the future.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Wink SE wishes to "Illuminate" the future.

Remember Crystal Tools and how awesome it is with... FFXIII and now XIV? Looks like SE is making its replacement already.

My god Squenix, you've barely used the White Engine despite touting it for half a decade and you're already getting ready to dump it in favor of a new engine?

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Remember Crystal Tools and how awesome it is with... FFXIII and now XIV? Looks like SE is making its replacement already.

My god Squenix, you've barely used the White Engine despite touting it for half a decade and you're already getting ready to dump it in favor of a new engine?
    BTW, White Engine is Tools set not actual game engine and it is PS3's Cell-based not Cross-platform friendly.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

They have to keep all those legions of coders they hired to make FF13 busy. I mean what else are you going to spend you HR budget on, writers and game environment planners?

EDIT:
    The existence of a new engine was originally revealed in a recruitment listing that used used iconic Final Fantasy 7 character, Cloud Strife's eyes, sparking yet another rumour of a remake.
    Ahahahahaha

Thinking about it, maybe starting the next gen engine now isn't a bad idea. Not that I don't think launching your flagship title on a new console 4 years after it is released is an inopportune development cycle.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by ShinGundam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post

BTW, White Engine is Tools set not actual game engine and it is PS3's Cell-based not Cross-platform friendly.
    Actually, I believe the "White Engine" was simply a place holder name for what became Crystal Tools and was meant to be cross-platform technology created for better facial modeling and working with 3D games.

Quote Originally Posted by joystiq
    In 2004, the company wanted to a "common 3D data format" to work on. This decision occurred as hardware manufacturers started offering new details on the current generation of hardware. Square's Research and Development Division was established on September 2006, and they announced an engine, then nicknamed "White Engine." At GDC, Murata unveiled its official new name: Crystal Tools, which reached version 1.0 on September 2007. (Internally, the team is working with v.1.1 of the tools.)
    The development team requested extensive use of character close-ups and stylized expressions. Visuals are of the upmost importance for Square Enix. "When you look at the screen, it should look cool, or you should feel good."
    GDC08: Square Enix unveils Crystal Tools engine | Joystiq

Also:
    ‘Crystal Tools’: Final Fantasy Engine Renamed, Supports Wii | GameLife | Wired.com

Square-Enix Rechristens White Engine, Plans To Bring It To Wii

GDC 08: Square Enix's White Engine renamed Crystal Tools- Destructoid

The articles point out the purpose of the engine was being able to make it easier to build 3D games on multiple platforms although its still up in the air if it will work on the Wii.

The problem here is that when the White Engine was originally announced, SE said it was PS3 exclusive but as early as 2007, they started saying it was multi-platform based game engine. I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 exclusiveness was either a mistranslation or more likely an idea SE quickly changed their mind on seeing as how a year into its development the White Engine was starting to be touted as multi-platform.

On topic though, it sounds to me like Luminous might be developed for Eidos more than SE's flagship series since it incorporates technology from previous Eidos titles. That or SE is hoping to build a more flexible game engine for both Japanese and Western developers.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Lol SE..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

FF14's graphics aren't even DirectX 10, so yeah.

Does it look pretty? Yeah. It it anywhere near cutting edge graphics technology? No, far behind.

If they want impressive looking games in a few years from now, it is kinda obvious that they have to start working on the tech for that already now.
    Last edited by Mirage; 09-06-2010 at 08:31 PM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I care less about their games looking pretty and more about them actually producing the good games I've been waiting for.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

There's always Versus 13. Our last hope.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    I care less about their games looking pretty and more about them actually producing the good games I've been waiting for.
    Won the thread.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    There's always Versus 13. Our last hope.
    No. There is another...

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

You really can't blame Square Enix, it's the nature of the medium now that it's such a calamity to make a game that actually looks good and doesn't have many obvious imperfections. It's a highly risky thing and like Mirage said, they need to start now if they want to do it.

Also, it does seem from the article that maybe this is an eidos engine.

Also, this could potentially be a very lucrative proposition. Looking at how successful and widely adopted the Unreal Engine 3 was at the beginning of this generation, it's up for grabs whoever makes the industry standard for the beginning of the next generation. Crytek seems confident that they've already done it but they need to get out there and try to make it happen (I personally know people at IllFonic, the first company licensing CryEngine 3 for their game Nexuisz and apparently Crytek is very hands on in sending people to come and help you with the development).

If Square Enix actually made that engine, it would be a massively beneficial thing for the company. Also their developers wouldn't have to be sitting on their asses waiting for it to come and then being rushed because you've taken so long this generation to release something.