Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quina's a boy.

Blog Entries

Quina is a boy, Vivi is a girl, and Freya is a bot wanting you to view her cam.
    Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.

To me, Quina is a distinctly feminine name, with the final "A". It's just how my italian brain is trained to recognize names. (My language also marks feminine/masculine, and Quina is always addressed as female in game.)

Plus, she... wears a dress. Pink. With frills. Now I know Kuja's clothing is probably even more feminine... but if you want an asexual effect, you don't go with a skirt, pink and frills, and a distinctive feminine sounding name.

I think the English translation pushed it with all the s/he (which looks VERY stupid - honestly? They're supposed to be talking. How do you pronounce S/HE? Don't you just end up pronouncing a "she" sound?) in the jap version, Quina just didn't have a specially distinct feminine/masculine way of speaking, but big deal! - many people don't. It doesn't mean they don't have a gender.
    "Memories shape time.

Time overlaps.

The overlap becomes our memory.

Memories construct time."

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by L9999 View Post
    (My language also marks feminine/masculine, and Quina is always addressed as female in game.)
    That's a screenshot form the game as I was playing it for my FF walkthrough. In which Quina is referred to "his" IE male. Hence the thread But is it always female in your language? What's your language! What's it translated to?
    Last edited by Freya; 09-14-2010 at 12:44 AM.

I've played the Italian version. (since I am, well, italian)

It's apparently the closest translations from the japanese, too. You know, with the actual Japanese names getting transliterated instead of just grabbing the english ones. Plus, Italian and Japanes work in similar ways. "トレノ" is actually "TO RE NO". We get TOLENO, the way a japanese would read it. You guys, for some reason, get Treno.

And, to get back on topic, Quina is always referred as female. She refers to herself as female, too.

The only mistery around her left to us italian gamers is - what IS she? An animal? A doll? (with those eyes...)
    "Memories shape time.

Time overlaps.

The overlap becomes our memory.

Memories construct time."

Blog Entries

If Quina turns out to be a dude then I'm...

Oh my God

there was a picture here

Quina sounds like a more feminine name and s/he has a lot of pink with that frilly outfit, so I always imagined it as being female. No clue why so many people thought it was a guy.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Screenshot says "his" THAT'S DIRECT EVIDENCE GUYS! Quina is a boy. Just cause you wear pink doesn't mean you're a girl! Y'all just don't wanna admit the facts.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

It also says s/he.

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Screenshot says "his" THAT'S DIRECT EVIDENCE GUYS! Quina is a boy. Just cause you wear pink doesn't mean you're a girl! Y'all just don't wanna admit the facts.
    In all seriousness, since this is the English translation of the game, it's very much possible that the translation accuracy + localization isn't very accurate. It certainly wouldn't be a first time for a Final Fantasy game, or any other JRPG for that matter. Especially since this was back in the Playstation era [look at FF VII].

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

FF8 had an all right translation, and FF7 had a lot of its errors fixed up in later editions of the game, so I don't think "it's a PS1 game" is all that relevant to the quality of its translation anymore.

In either case, the "his" right there might just be a translator messing up, considering the whole deal about "protect girls".
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    FF8 had an all right translation
    Well yes, and FF IX had an "all right" translation as well. It just has some errors, and this would be one of them. That's all I was saying. And yes, the FF VII translation was terrible hands-down. The fact that you're saying they had to make corrections for later editions shows that they didn't take their initial release as seriously, which to me is unprofessional [though I don't know how much is supposedly corrected, my copy of the game doesn't really seem much different from the version I had on the PC].

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I assumed that Quina was female because Quina is a feminine name. The fact that its gender is left ambiguous sounded like a joke to me.

The casual localization of the game leaves this open to debate. If the game was translated today, I am sure that this issue would be dealt with humorously or concretely.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm surprised there's no joke about Quina being female because you find him/her in the kitchen.

Blog Entries

I haven't played IX that much but a quick google and most people seem to think Quina is 'genderless'?

EDIT: unless there is more than one Quina and I've looked up the wrong one?!
    If I turn my back I'm defenceless, and to go blindly seems senseless.

I always thought of Quina as a guy and the whole pink and frills (i think it was referred as) he wears is simply because he's a weird guy