Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141519 ... LastLast

Thread: Dissidia Duodecim Final Fantasy (PSP) announced

I actually would rather have Snow in there.
    Is that your final answer?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Though, I do find it interesting that there is a mystery slot behind Lightning. Perhaps FFXIV's token character or maybe a hint of a non-numbered FF character?
    Based on the fact that FFXII only has one slot shown, I'm thinking it's Vaan, and they're going to move it to the FFXII area once he's revealed. Though that's just me assuming the worst case scenario, so if the worst case scenario doesn't happen it'll psych me up for the game even more.

...but if there are really only four new characters, that's rather disappointing. Especially since they aren't adding any new villains. Let's just hope like crazy my guess is wrong.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Except your forgetting that Gabranth is shown in the trailer. So having one slot has to go to one of them but both are confirmed...

I'm sure SE is just teasing. 10 new characters sounds about right and if memory serves me correct, they gave that estimate after Lightning, Kain, and Tifa were already confirmed, so there may even be a chance the list of new characters are actually 13.

If it's 13 then that is enough to bring one new character from each FF title, unless SE decides to screw a few entries (I, III, and IX sadly come to mind) so they can bring out more characters from more popular FFs or spin-offs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Except your forgetting that Gabranth is shown in the trailer. So having one slot has to go to one of them but both are confirmed...

I'm sure SE is just teasing. 10 new characters sounds about right and if memory serves me correct, they gave that estimate after Lightning, Kain, and Tifa were already confirmed, so there may even be a chance the list of new characters are actually 13.

If it's 13 then that is enough to bring one new character from each FF title, unless SE decides to screw a few entries (I, III, and IX sadly come to mind) so they can bring out more characters from more popular FFs or spin-offs.
    I was thinking that Gabranth is the FFXII slot that's empty currently while Vaan is the ? slot.

For FFs that likely won't be getting new characters, I'm heavily betting that FFI won't get any (especially since there aren't any central characters that can be added). And Xande will likely be getting the axe again (I still don't get why they chose the Cloud of Darkness since to me, that's like choosing Zemus over Golbez). I'm guessing FFII won't be getting any new characters either, though I was really hoping that Leon would be added. I've posted the rest of my guesses in the "Let's Play a Little Game" thread. I'm wondering if they'll be adding a FFXIII villain and any FFXIV representatives.

On a side note, if you're wondering why I like Leon and not Kain, even I don't really know, seeing how they're both traitors. I guess it's the whole fact that Kain succumbed to his jealousy and hate, twice, while Leon wasn't mind controlled because of his weaknesses. I know that Golbez is also like Kain, with the mind control issue. Though at least Golbez really tries hard to make up for it, especially in the last part of FFIV, FFIV The After Years, and in the first Dissidia. And judging on the Dissidia Duodecim previews, I'd say that Golbez in general in Dissidia is a much better good guy than Kain could ever hope to be (though I can't say that for sure yet since I don't know the story). At least everything Golbez did to the good guys was to secretly help them in his own way.

[Edit] To not sound like a blind hater, I guess I will mention that there are some things I like about Kain, like how he apologizes and atones for the bad actions he commits (though not to an extreme degree like Golbez does) and how his whole rivalling personality he has is rather interesting, though I think he takes the whole "viewing allies as rivals" mindset to a whole new level.
    Last edited by Evastio; 11-24-2010 at 05:17 AM. Reason: Didn't Want To Sound Like a Blind Hater

Then why don't they just add Zemus in there as well?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I still say its too early to say if the ? is just Vaan.

Honestly, I still feel that Leon has a good chance. It's IX I feel may have issues garnering another worthwhile character out of the game. Only Vivi and Dagger have actual relationships with both Zidane and Kuja. I feel both would create issues trying to make builds for their fighting styles and have issues fitting into the plot. Still, I'm really hoping for Vivi cause he has the better chance and I like him more.

I guess my main concern is that Lightning still needs a villain (though I wouldn't mind if they decided to opt out cause XIII never had good villains to begin with) and I just can't get over this nagging feeling that SE will cave into the Japanese fandom and bring both Yuna and Seymour into the game, since both were originally considered. That's why I feel a few FFs might get the flack so they bring two characters from a numbered FF instead of one. Hell, I'm still waiting for Zack Fair to be announced to represent Crisis Core and be a secret character.

As for Xande/CoD vs. Golbez/Zemus; there is one major factor you are forgetting here. The OKs don't have an actual relationship with either one of III's villains. Xande may have had more to do with the plot but he still technically a random evil bad guy to the main characters. They don't know each other and they don't even meet til the very end of the game. Golbez was chosen cause he actually has a history with Cecil. Considering Kain was originally considered before Golbez by the development team should show that Golbez wasn't special to begin with.

CoD I felt was chosen cause it represents the true main theme and conflict of III, a battle for balance and the need for light and darkness. If it was Xande, it would simply be about him. Since Dissidia pretty much takes most of the characters out of their environments and scenarios; Xande would completely lose what made him an interesting villain to begin with. He would just be another "I R EVIL" wizard. It's like how some of the villains like Kuja, Sephiroth and ExDeath for example, are kinda flat in Dissidia. Because once you remove their main conflicts you realize they don't have much else going for them.

You know, I never really gave that much thought. I have usually wondered why I couldn't make up my mind about Sephiroth. His physical style is cool and I dig the "making-up-for-his-shortcomings" gigantic sword, but otherwise Sephiroth is damned shallow. If at any point in the VII saga they had expressed that Sephiroth could be a decent person should the world allow him to be, he would've been that much more interesting. But to have his "switch" flipped from good/sane to evil/psychotic in a matter of moments was pretty disappointing. Sephiroth had no real history of trauma to justify his quest. He just suddenly decided to be a jick.

Genesis may have been a little weird, but I honestly feel he was a better executed villain than Sephiroth. He should definitely be the next VII reveal for Duodecim.

And to remind y'all my opinions for the rest: "I" doesn't need any, II should be Leon, III should be Xande or Goldor (bonus points if they design him to look similar to Power Rangers Goldar lol), IV should be Edge or Yang, V should be Faris & Gilgamesh (just because Gilgamesh is now one of FF's staples), VI should be either Shadow or Sabin (notice me trying to do away with "swords"?), Zell for 8, 9 would be either Vivi, Amaranth, or Steiner (if only because I think his Trance form looks cool), X would be funny to have baller Wakka, and I'm not gonna even try for XI,XII,XIII...

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Oh man. No more Genesis. Please. Probably the only FF character I downright hate. Crisis Core would have been so much better without him

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

For once we're in agreement on something FF related.

No... just good god no to Genesis. He single-handedly ruined Crisis Core and the last thing I need is him ruining Dissidia with his constant quotes from smurfing Loveless.

LOL

Yeah, his lines were strange, indeed. Although I do think maybe we should give him a chance for his fighting style.

What? C'mon Genesis was like a deranged-Shakespeare version of Kefka. At least Genesis was a
    character... Sephiroth was just "that thing the good guys fight."

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Genesis felt like what would happen if a whiny Sephiroth Fanboy with low self-esteem, wrote himself into his own fanfiction as a Mary Sue but thanks to his crappy attitude about himself spends the rest of the plot either whining about not being as cool as Sephiroth and spouting lame ass poetry about obscure VII references. Genesis should die in a fire, he ruins Crisis Core. At least Sephiroth feels like a villain and not a whiny loser with an inferiority complex.

On topic...

The Japanese site just updated with a video explaining the Assist abilities and I must say I'm truly impressed. It might not convert the hard core fighting game fans like Roogle but I say it's a step in the right direction.

For those to lazy to check the site:

There are two gauges under the life bar which are the assist gauges. It fills up as your character attacks and moves forward, but it takes a cue from Guilty Gear, the gauge will deplete if you stop acting or stay too defensively. When one gauge is filled, you summon another fighter to throw a few cheap shots at the enemy with a Bravery attack. With two gauges filled, the assist character can use a HP attack. The other cool feature is that it is possible to still attack while the assist character is battling. This allows some interesting combos... One the video shows is a poor Garland getting sandwiched between Lightning (Main) and WoL (Assist) both performing one of their nastier HP attacks and Garland is literally juggled between both of them.

You're all crazy.

Gackt is one of the hottest FF characters ever.

I still liked Genesis, though, for his appearance and fighting style, and his lines are funny, too.

I admit I'm definitely biased. I have no real love for the artist (though the theme music he provided for DoC was pretty good), but I think Gackt's version of the Genesis outfit NEEDS to be represented in the game. Genesis's red coat feels plain next to the accessorized Gackt version.

Saiyuki Plus, Go Dougan of Saiyuki was a total whining nutter too, but I still feel he at least gave good enough reason for his evil actions and I like his character design too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.