Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Thread: Screenshots!

Nice snapshots man. I like it. How many stages you are in your game?
    *snip*

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Central Thanalan screenshot with a clear view past Black Brush all the way to Ul'dah, with map to show my position compared to those two locations. 1 minute, 40 seconds jog to the gates! I do enjoy the scale of this game, and how even with the scale you can still see Ul'dah dominating the landscape from such distance.

FFXIV_1303426586.jpg
    map.png
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Since it won't be around forever, I figured I'd throw something in to show off the Hatching-tide event. So far all it involves is us holding onto eggs for about half a day before we add another egg to our collection. When we have a few, we trade them for an egg-cap of some sort. But there's a patch going on tomorrow which will be a 'development' of sorts, everyone suspsects, to show what else can be done during this event. Interesting that they aren't just doing what they've done for all previous events, where it was just a case of "if you go to a bell every 24 hours, you can get an ingredient for an event-related item/gear."

Anyways. Pictures, here you go.

FFXIV_1303633346.jpgFFXIV_1303633905.jpgFFXIV_1303633923.jpgFFXIV_1303633406.jpgFFXIV_1303633425.jpg

Strawberry Virus Recognized Member Marshall Banana's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

ichigo

The first screenshot I attached is a Star Wars reference!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Ahahaha, I actually laughed out loud when I read that. Nice one!

Who's the lalafell?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

ichigo

Just some girl Cocoa Puff likes, I guess.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

ichigo

Cocoa Puff has an adorable new outfit!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

Oh, and:

The engine isn't as fluid as the build found in FF XIII. Even though both are using Crystal Tools 1.1, FF XIV seems to render thing much slower and with slightly less detail. Anyone else notice this or is it just the nerd in me lashing out??

It's because MMO's are built very differently. Whilst they'd be using the same engine, it'd be completely customised to the point where it isn't the same engine.

In saying that, it kind of feels like the programmers more or less just did a really dodgy job.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Given that no other MMO has been made to such a scale when it comes to quality in graphics, and as far as I know no other MMO uses Crystal Tools, I'd say it works pretty well, personally. It's certainly not perfect, but it's hardly shoddy. For the speed at which things download to your PC, I imagine that is predominantly due to how much they have going back and forth to the server. I understand that if anything, too much data is stored server-side that could be stored client-side. Not sure exactly what, but yeah.

Yeah your right about graphical quality. Just saw some gameplay videos from The Old Republic and it doesn't impress me...graphically. SE has always placed graphics presentation as a top priority in their games and it shows! FFXIV is probably the best looking MMO to date!
    Last edited by nirojan; 04-30-2011 at 03:08 AM.

You guys should maybe check out Tera or Blade & Soul, at least the environments. They wipe the floor with FFXIV's, not only in quality but in actual design.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

How do they manage to do that while still having everything run smoothly? And why haven't I heard of them before? Surely a game like that would be huge if it were working well.

EDIT: Ohhh, both are still in development.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    How do they manage to do that while still having everything run smoothly? And why haven't I heard of them before? Surely a game like that would be huge if it were working well.

EDIT: Ohhh, both are still in development.
    Both titles are currently in closed beta, and are running a lot smoother on a wider range of PC specs.

You have not heard of them before because you are not a person who keeps up to date with the MMO community. They are huge, massive titles coming out this year and are currently in the top 10 most anticipated MMO on www.mmorpg.com alongside Star Wars and Guild Wars 2.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I think the quality of FFXIV is stillgreat but the design of the environments are lacking and feel very barren (especially when compared to the concept art). The characters, armor and especially animations in FFXIV are still the most incredible I've seen around.