Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why is Vanille Hated for Her Australian Accent?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Pretty much what Mirage said. I can't think of a single time I've seen someone say they hate her for her accent (or even mind the accent), especially with plenty of other very valid reasons to hate her.
    This ^^

Her accent never really bothered me but I have a high tolerance for quirky voices and bad accents but maybe its because I watch so many B movies. Frankly, I felt the VA work in XIII was actually pretty good, it was the dialogue that makes some of the scenes cringe worthy.

In regard to Vanille, her accent is probably one of her better traits as everything else about her is annoying or facepalm inducing. She's joined Yuffie and Yuna in my list of worst FF characters.

I wonder if anyone actually realizes that the actress IS an Aussie. She ain't faking the accent.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Considering it was said earlier in the thread, I would imagine lots of people realize that.

She's still annoying though.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by BG-57 View Post
    Never cared much for Genki Girl types anyway, like Selphie, Yuffie, or Rikku.
    Ah, the "perky, young girl" archetype of Square-Enix. I didn't mind the previous ones such as Relm, Eiko and Rikku. Vanille quite bothered me since she's 19, the oldest of the series' archetypes. Yet despite her age, she acts much more childish than Eiko who is only 6 years old.

And I was very much surprised to find out Fang had a more consistent accent thanks to her American VA as opposed to Vanille's inconsistent one made by her Aussie VA. Such irony.
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.

What was so jarring for me at first about Vanille was how she pushed Hope at the beginning chapter and thinking it rather rude, and then she's suddenly hugging him as if he's her long lost brother. Maybe it's just me but I'm really not very fond of people being too touchy feely around strangers. That kind of discomfort further increased when she started being all trying-too-hard-perky, not to mention her weird looking weapon. It all struck me as kinda off key, even worse that I couldn't quite put a finger on it until I took the time to analyse it. (Was bored, forgive me).

Much of this is also attributed to her VA. I've seen some videos on the Japanese version and she isn't nearly as annoying. I guess it's the tone of voice and not her accent that grates.

I actually think her voice is very sexy.
    Is that your final answer?

I find the Australian accent horrible in general, and I'm Australian Obviously it doesn't bother me in every day life, but when contrasted in movies and games with American accents it sounds godawful. I would like a foreign opinion on Australian accents as a whole though (and not just this apparently perky and annoying girl's accent); I often feel like Australia in general is a joke to the rest of the world

P.S. I realise this thread is oldish, but I'm only looking into buying FFXIII now, so I stumbled across it

Quote Originally Posted by .:kerrod:. View Post
    I find the Australian accent horrible in general, and I'm Australian Obviously it doesn't bother me in every day life, but when contrasted in movies and games with American accents it sounds godawful. I would like a foreign opinion on Australian accents as a whole though (and not just this apparently perky and annoying girl's accent); I often feel like Australia in general is a joke to the rest of the world

P.S. I realise this thread is oldish, but I'm only looking into buying FFXIII now, so I stumbled across it
    Well, like I said above, I think Australian accents are quite sexy.

I hate Australian accents. All of them. Whether they belong to perky young girls or grizzled old army generals.

Uh-oh, oh my...