Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7 Worst Pizzas to eat in America(Healthwise)

Default 7 Worst Pizzas to eat in America(Healthwise)

7 Worst Pizzas in America

When pizza was first invented, back in some long forgotten Italian village, it was a nearly perfect slice of nutrition: A thin crust of carbohydrates for energy, slathered with tomato sauce for vitamins and minerals, and topped with calcium-rich, protein-boosting mozzarella. It was like a food pyramid in pie form!

So what happened? How did this healthy Italian invention acquire a reputation for being so terribly unhealthy? Well, to start, American food manufacturers got their greedy little hands on it. As we began researching the Eat This, Not That! book series, we discovered marketers were up to all sorts of mischief that has made it easier for Americans to gain weight—doing creepy things like loading the top up with fatty meats, infusing the crust with hidden cheeses, and otherwise turning the healthy pizza pie into a Big Mac with crust. Mama Mia!

It’s too bad, too, because pizza is a staple of American life. During last year’s Super Bowl, Papa Johns sold more pies than there are people in Delaware. And it’s only the third-biggest pizza chain (Papa Johns, not Delaware). So if you want the best of both worlds—the health benefits of the Italian style and the football-rooting fun of the American way of life, then you need to know which pizzas should be showing up at your door at halftime—and which should get called for a 15-pound penalty. (And for more of the best health, fitness, nutrition and weight-loss tips that will improve your life instantly, make sure you follow me here on Twitter.)

#7: Worst Supermarket Pizza
    DiGiorno For One Traditional Crust Supreme Pizza
    790 calories
    36 g fat (14 g saturated fat, 3 g trans fats)
    1,460 mg sodium
    No, it’s not delivery, but it is dangerous. This is how DiGiorno handles the personal pie: with 60 percent of your day’s sodium, 70 percent of your saturated fat, and more trans fat than you should consume in an entire day. If your heart had a voice box, it would be screaming in outrage.

Eat This Instead!
    Stouffer’s French Bread Deluxe Pizza (1 pizza)
    430 calories
    21 g fat (7 g saturated)
    820 mg sodium

#6: Worst Multi-National Pizza
    California Pizza Kitchen Tostada Pizza with Grilled Steak (1/2 pie)
    840 calories
    16 g saturated fat
    1,649 mg sodium

With a caloric heft like this, you’d expect this Tex-Mex pie to be massively portioned. It’s not. The big fatty price tag draws not from size, but from the combo effect of tortilla chips and ranch dressing. Switch to the equally interesting Four Seasons Pizza, which carries artichoke hearts, salami, mushroom, tomatoes, onions, and two cheeses, and you drop nearly 400 calories per half-pie serving.

Eat This Instead!
    Thin Crust Four Seasons Pizza
    480 calories
    9 g saturated fat
    1,567 mg sodium

Bonus Tip: Take a look at the weapons of mass inflation being whipped up in the labs of the mad fast-food scientists: The 20 Scariest New Restaurant Foods! Be afraid—be very afraid!

#5: Worst Single Slice
    Sbarro Stuffed Pepperoni Pizza
    960 calories
    42 g fat
    3,200 mg sodium

Sbarro serves up elephantine slices, so you should know better than to order one that essentially consists of two of those slices folded one atop another. In this one wedge of pizza, Sbarro manages to pack in nearly as many calories as you’d find in four pepperoni slices from Pizza Hut! You want to survive the Sbarro super-slice challenge? Stick to a regular pie, nix the pepperoni and sausage, and limit yourself to one slice.

Eat This Instead!
    Fresh Tomato Pizza
    450 calories
    14 g fat
    1,040 mg sodium

Bonus Tip: Sure, pizza has the potential to inflate, but it’s certainly not the only food to cause widespread weight gain. Case in point: The 15 Worst Burgers in America. You'll also learn which burgers to eat instead, so you can enjoy your favorite foods and still lose weight—without ever dieting.

#4: Worst Specialty Crust Pizza
    Pizza Hut Stuffed Crust Meat Lover’s Pizza (2 slices, 14” pie)
    960 calories
    52 g fat (24 g saturated, 1 g trans)
    2,780 mg sodium

Around the perimeter of this pie is what essentially amounts to a hula-hoop ring of cheese. Gross, right? But it's not just cheese. Also inside that ring: two types of sausage, ham, beef, and bacon. The impact of all those salt-cured meats is more than a day’s worth of sodium in each two-slice serving—oh, and as much saturated fat as a dozen Extra Crispy Drumsticks from KFC! Here’s a simple mnemonic device: Stuffed pizza = stuffed potbelly. Stick to thin crust and lean meats and you’ll live to eat well another day.

Eat This Instead!
    2 Slices Thin ‘N Crispy Ham & Pineapple Pizza (2 slices, 12'' pie)
    360 calories
    12 g fat (6 g saturated)
    1,080 mg sodium

Bonus Tip: To see more proof of how wayward beverages can utterly destroy your diet, check out the 20 Worst Drinks in America. Many of these disastrous drinks contain more than a day's worth of calories, sugar, and fat!

#3: Worst Flatbread
    Cosi Chicken Gorgonzola with Fig Flatbread with Traditional Crust
    1,073 calories
    41 g fat (9 g saturated)
    1,057 mg sodium

At first blush, flatbread seems like a healthy version of pizza—especially when it comes adorned with fanciful toppings like Gorgonzola and figs. But let this be a lesson: Just because it’s fancy doesn’t mean it’s healthy. Cosi’s traditional crust is essentially the same carpet of bread you might find underneath a circular pie. The rules of pizza selection apply to flatbreads as well: Lean toppings, light cheese, and thin crust.

Eat This Instead!
    Margherita Flatbread with Thin Crust
    451 calories
    26 g fat (13 g saturated)
    328 mg sodium

#2: Worst Thin Crust Pizza
    Domino’s Brooklyn Style ExtravaganZZa Feast Pizza (2 slices 16” pie)
    1,180 calories
    60 g fat (27 g saturated)
    3,420 mg sodium

To be fair, Domino’s Brooklyn Style isn’t promoted as thin crust, but it was created with fold-ability in mind. That requires slices that are soft, thin, and—in Domino’s case—massive. The typical Domino’s pie comes sliced into eighths, but order the Brooklyn-inspired pie and you’ll get only six slices. What happened to the other two slices? They were absorbed—along with their calories, fat, and sodium—into the other slices. Your better option is to build your own pie on a legitimate thin crust. Top that pie chicken and chorizo and you cut out 730 calories. Do that a couple times a week and you’ll cut close to two pounds of flab per month.

Eat This Instead!
    Thin Crust Grilled Chicken and Chorizo (2 slices, 14” pie)
    450 calories
    20 g fat (7 g saturated)
    1,030 mg sodium

Bonus Tip: Eating healthy on the go is far easier than it sounds. Check out these 9 Ways to Lose Weight Eating Fast-Food for body slimming tips that don’t cost a minute of your time.

#1: Worst Pizza in America
    Uno Chicago Grill Chicago Classic Deep Dish Pizza (Individual)
    2,310 calories
    162 g fat (54 g saturated fat)
    4,920 mg sodium

Wait, wait, wait. This is a one-person pizza? Yup. All 2,310 calories are destined for one soon-to-be expanding belly. This pie has been a perennial pick for us over the past three years, and the reason is simple: No other personal pizza in the country even begins to approach these numbers. It breaks every single caloric recommendation on the books, and it does it under the guise of a must-have “classic” dish. With the country being plagued by obesity, Uno should have the decency to banish—or significantly improve—this dish.

Eat This Instead!
    Cheese and Tomato Thin Crust Pizza (Individual)
    840 calories
    33 g fat (15 g saturated fat)
    1,770 mg sodium

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

Well, you've succeeded in making me want each and every one of these pizzas, I'll give you that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

any kind of food becomes worse when you make it American.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I Took the Red Pill View Post
    Well, you've succeeded in making me want each and every one of these pizzas, I'll give you that.

LOL I was disappointed to see that a stuffed crust Meat lover's Pizza made the list, because that's my favorite Pizza from Pizza Hut

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

Is it okay if I bandwagon?

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

I love nasty, disgustingly unhealthy food as much as the next american but really what is the purpose of this? To die early? It doesn't even taste good.

Nobody likes a party pooper, Peegee

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

Quote Originally Posted by AntagonistGB View Post
    Nobody likes a party pooper, Peegee
    Good point. FREE PIZZA AT PG'S PLACE

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

>Worst pizzas
    >List seven delicious sounding pizzas

Blog Entries

Generally speaking, pizzas are not the ideal thing to eat if you care at all about your health, sanity and guilt.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Next thing you know they'll be telling us that McDonald's yogurt parfaits aren't very fresh!

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Those pizzas don't look so good, to be honest. A regular slice of plain cheese & sauce pizza from a REAL Italian parlor is my favorite (though I admit I have a weakness for the super cheesy bite crust pizza in the UK Pizza Hut...)
    Last edited by Rye; 09-22-2010 at 12:03 AM. Reason: LOL TYPO

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Personally I prefer my pizzas to have just a little bit of cheese, no meat, and lots of onions and bell peppers. When there's a lot of cheese, half of the time when I take my first bite, all of the cheese and the toppings on it come off with it >:I

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Generally speaking, pizzas are not the ideal thing to eat if you care at all about your health, sanity and guilt.
    yeah, fast food pizzas. Proper real pizzas are pretty healthy and awesome. Man I'd love to make one myself right now. Blue moldy cheese is awesome on pizzas.