Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who are your top 3 FF charecters and why

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

1. Delita: the most complex and interesting character in FF history. No contest.

2. Ramza: I really struggled not to give two spots to the same game, but I couldn't come up with anyone else that came close to Ramza. Ramza's development and conflict made him engaging and realistic. Definitely the best hero of all the FF games.

3. Cid Highwind: a cursing, entertaining badass. What more needs to be said? Now sit your asses down and drink your goddamn tea.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Every time I come back here I want to change my answers xD

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

FFXIV Character

Jenna Solis (Sargatanas)

1) Zidane - He had a fun personality and cared about people.

2) Auron - (SPOILER)He returned from the dead to set things right in Spira.

3) Chocobo (Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon) - I really enjoyed getting to play a completely different type of hero.

Quote Originally Posted by MJN SEIFER View Post
    And Squall was all emo throughout the game and then he just suddenly changed, there was no progression and development imo, he just changed instantly at one point.
    No offense, but you really missed the point on this one. For starters, Squall is not emo, and while we're on the subject being depressed about something does not automatically make you an emo, and emos aren't always depressing either, it's just a culture nothing more.

Squall is a very well developed character. He has lived a life full of despair and loss, he is not just acting that way to fit into a culture, he never had a family (that he can remember) he has spent his life in an orphanage, and from then on everyone ever mattered to him left in some way - he grew up surrounded by disappointment, and had no one around to support him, he wasn't emo, he was genuinely angry about all that had happened in his life. Because he knew how much it hurt to lose someone important to you, he eventually just gave up on the whole thing and decided that he wasn't going to get close to anyone anymore, if they just leave you (be it through death, or desertion, or whatever) then what's the point of being friends with anyone? However, he still has his emotions deep down, which is why we see his thoughts on screen.

Also he didn't "suddenly change at one point" - he stayed the exact same person throughout, he just became more open. When Rinoa comes on to the scene, Squall is in love, he may not realize it at first, but that is what's happening, and can be seen as early as disk 1. Throughout their scenes together, we can see from his thoughts that the more he gets to know her, the more he wants to open up to her, to tell her he loves her, but he can't, because he's afraid, simple as that, he's afraid that something will happen again that will pull them apart. The whole thing goes on while he is still the Squall that you wrongly describe as emo; he can't risk getting close to her, because he knows how painful it will be when he loses her.

If you look, during the FH scene, he is trying to open up more (again look to his thoughts for this) but the personality he has given himself is stopping him from doing so. You may also notice that he becomes slightly more open after the orphanage scene, it's like he feels more connected to the others now, seeing as they've had the same experience he has, and have all turned out alright, and furthermore, he hasn't lost anyone after all - they're all still here. The scene were Rinoa goes into a coma is also a revelation for Squall - he realizes that even when he refuses to allow Rinoa into his life, he still cares about her, and it will still hurt if she dies, and furthermore if she does it will be far worse than it would have been if he had allowed her into his life, at least then he would have had something out of it, to remember when she's gone.

Finally there's the "Eyes On Me" scene where he finally opens up about everything - this is one of the most powerful moments in Final Fantasy, and if you listen to the lyrics they actually match Squall and Rinoa's relationship perfectly (even though in storyline the song was written by Julia, it was written by someone in our world, so they may have intended this) I didn't see it as sudden at all, I felt like the whole game was building up to it, it just made sense to me.

Sorry to go off topic, but I needed to say this.

Very well said. I wholeheartedly agree.

Blog Entries

1. Squall - for reasons already far better articulated by MJN than I could hope to explain. Also, I really like his design. I don't think I could like anyone who wore black leather and fur head to toe in real life, but hey, it's a video game and Squall pulls of the look well. And I still think gunblades are cool.

2. Balthier - charming, articulate, dashing good looks, flies an airship, has a gun, hot girlfriend that will look young forever (or at least for as long as he's alive). He's everything I wish I was and that I wish I had.

3. Zidane - a refreshingly different take on protagonist personality from Square compared to it's other recent games at the time, and with great results. The subject of a very memorable twist.

Terra
    Celes
    Lightning

Terra and Celes are badass. They have all-around stats and can wear the best armor in the game. Magic knights win.

Lightning because she is another female not stuck in a healer or mage archetype. She is an all-around badass.
    Lamia's Tiara- Headgear in FFIX
    Lamia's Flute- Weapon for Eiko in FFIX
    Lamia in FFV- a enemy
    appearance: a lady with long brown hair, wearing a tiara...half woman and half snake.
    Lamia in FF3j- A Harp
    Lamia in FFL2- An enemy
    FF2j Queen Lamia, at one point she even gets Frionel in a bedroom with her and jumps on the bed and says "take me!".. before she turns into her snakey self. She serves as a mini boss in this game (as Queen Lamia).. and after you fight her as a mini boss, regular lamia's become random foes and later on in the game, Queen Lamia's become random foes as well.
    LamiaScl. an item that paralyzes foes.
    According to legend, she was once a Libyan queen (or princess) who fell in love with Zeus. Zeus' jealous wife Hera deformed her into a monster and murdered their offspring. She also made Lamia unable to close her eyes, so that she couldn't find any rest from the obsessing image of her dead children. When Zeus saw what had be done to Lamia, he felt pity for her and gave his former lover a gift: she could remove her eyes, and then put them on again. This way, though sleepless, she could rest from her misfortune. Lamia envied other the other mothers and took her vengeance by stealing their children and devouring them.

Number 1 is not tough at all: Squall is definitely my fav character of all times. He begins being "Mr. By the Book" and reaches a point where his whole motto is questioned and he starts to act rather than react to what happens around him. He doesn't like being in teams, but when the whole responsability of the Garden (and the students) falls over his shoulders, he just sucks it up and does what needs to be done. He might not like it, but he still does it, and I think that is something to admire.

I think second place would go to Kefka, the best villain FF has. He's a selfish, derranged, kill-crazy bastard with a very dark sense of humor... like the Joker but with a more suiting outfit

Third would go for Yuna AND Vivi. Both of their journeys are both sad and joyful, full of self-discovery and of bonding with those around them.

1. Sazh - The only redeeming factor of the game, and I could feel a lot of empathy towards him and his story.
    2. Steiner - Best comical relief in the series, good old rusty.
    3. Barret - I loved his extreme attitude and his heart of gold.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Well, Tidus is my fav main ff character.. The other 2 would have to be NPCs Princess Luca from ff4 and any other from FF1 I guess..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Revive!

Mog - Playable Moogle, Hell Yeah!
    Freya - I find Freya to be more awesome than Kain. More so when she wields his Lance
    Balthier - I know Vaan or Basch are better Fighters, but This is Balthier, stats are void in his presence.

Another 5,
    Zidane - Calm, Cool, Honest all round Good Guy.
    Terra - Awesome, Strong Female Warrior with Green Hair!
    Tifa - A female Fighter. ^.^
    Irvine - Calm, Collected Gunslinger with a Trench coat, Awesome!
    Edgar or Locke - I can't Decide!

Quote Originally Posted by -JJ- View Post
    Revive!
    *uses Phoenix Down*

I'm reviving this as well.

There's so many great and interesting FF characters. It's hard to pick just three of them. Argh!

1. Lulu - Coolest black mage! Smart and sexy! Eventually, you see that she is quite tenderhearted. Play a Lulu only FFX challenge! It's very fun!

2. Agrias Oaks - My favourite FFT character! Strong and cool!

3. Terra and Celes (tie) - Two favourite characters from FFVI!

Princess Ovelia Atkascha oughta to be in the list as well! She'll be #4. I'll add Reis Dular for #5.

Well, with the tie for third that actually makes 6 listed characters. XD

Also, wanted to add honorable mentions for Ravness Loxaerion, Deneb Rove, Ocionne Rabine, Cressida Obdilord, Iuria Wolph, Ozma Moh Glacius, & the four Phoraena sisters.. But, alas! They are from the wrong game. And, the list would get way too long!
    Last edited by LikeaLion; 06-09-2011 at 09:00 PM.
    ~ ♫ Maybe I'm a Lion ♫~

1st - Gabranth, Final Fantasy XII

2nd - Beatrix, Final Fantasy IX

3rd - Delitia, Final Fantasy Tactics

I've always preferred morally grey characters, and those three fit that role exceptionally well, in my opinion. They're also rather tragic, without coming across as whiny or overly excitable - a trait that tends to put me off the likes of Zidane, Vaan and Rikku. They've also firm reasoning behind their behaviour and actions.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

1. Vivi. I just can't help but feel sorry for this guy. And he still gets up and tries to keep living. The ending made me feel for him all the more.
    2. Minwu. It's hard to actually pinpoint what's so great about him. Is it his sacrifice? The air of mystery? Or maybe it's just the fact that he's a white mage who kicks so much ass?
    3. Agrias. I've always liked the strong female characters. Though it's sad she isn't that involved after she permanently joins your party, she still manages to be badass.

Still, none of them can top my favorite VG character of all time, that is Heat from Digital Devil Saga, but that's not FF, so...

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

1. Vivi - because he's cute and clumsy but can keep major butt if built up properly.

2. Quina - because s/he is just a big bucket of awesomeness.

3. Red XIII - because I think he is a fasinating character and very underrated

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'll do a top 5 because I can.

1. Sazh-He's an ordinary dude, basically. He's not an experienced warrior, he's just a guy looking for his son. He has a kindness beyond any other FF character, an intelligence and wisdom beyond others, and an incredible sense of courage to save his son.

2. Terra-She's great. Her past is very sympathetic, but she's also strong in battle and having a very kind soul as well. She grows into a strong young woman and a real excellent protagonist.

3. Aerith-The Compliation ruined her for me. In FFVII, Aerith was fun-loving, often sarcastic, and charming. She was courageous, kind, and strong-willed while having a good sense of humor throughout the whole thing. The COmpilation made her none of those thngs, though.

4. Vivi-This little twerp is just adorable! He's got a real sweet nature and a very strong character development. Not only that, but he's a lot of fun to play as in comparison to other characters.

5. Lightning-This bitch is just awesome. 'Nuff said.

I also like Faris, Cecil, Sabin, Red XIII, Zidane, Freya, Rikku, Balthier, and Vanille. So .