Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why is Vanille's l'Cie mark located on her thigh?!

ImPECKable arguments! Geddit? ha ha.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nodded Emu View Post
    ImPECKable arguments! Geddit? ha ha.
    Oh, you kill me. Geddit? ha ha :x_x:

Your humour is lost on me, human.

Sex sells. Period. Look at the original print of Harpy Lady from Yu-Gi-Oh!, a card game designed for 10-13 year olds and played by 15-40 year olds.

Quote Originally Posted by razorrozar7 View Post
    Sex sells. Period. Look at the original print of Harpy Lady from Yu-Gi-Oh!, a card game designed for 10-13 year olds and played by 15-40 year olds.
    No, the reason "adults" play Yu-Gi-Oh has very little to do with a few scant titillating cards. It has everything to do with man-children playing a children's card games.

Actually, sex doesn't sell nearly as well as you'd think.

Quote Originally Posted by AntagonistGB View Post
    You also have to consider that sex and over-sexualisation is a huge part of Japanese culture, and therefor will greatly influence what Square-Enix put in to their games.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Aha, yes, Japanese pop culture loves scantily clad females. I always knew that, but again, Final Fantasy didn't implement true sexualization of female characters until Final Fantasy VII, and we have Tetsuya Nomura to thank for that.
    Is that your final answer?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire View Post
    Final Fantasy didn't implement true sexualization of female characters until Final Fantasy VII, and we have Tetsuya Nomura to thank for that.
    AHAHAHAHAHA.

(SPOILER)

Not exactly.

We also have horny fanboys to thank for that.

Yes, most certainly indeed. And those designs I just saw pale in comparison to Nomura's designs.

Do You Like Waffles? DarkBahamut's Avatar

Final answer: They needed someone else showing off a sexual impact. I prefer it on the thigh though.

No time for "Dilly-Dallying" or "Shilly-Shallying."
    Props go to the one and only, Proxy, for the signature.

Would the placement of Vanille's mark have mattered as much if she were wearing shorts instead of a skirt?
    Honestly, pretty much all of sexualization in Japan comes in the form of girls in skirts. It doesn't matter what they're wearing on top. Hell, they could be in a big, uncomfortably fluffy coat, or have a robot torso, or be wearing a trashcan/cardboard box, as long as we can see she's wearing a short skirt down there, she's earned the "sexy" label. Yes. I've actually seen this.
    I'm not going to say it's undeserving. I'm the one who literally can't because I like girls in skirts. I'm not sure why. I really don't care what they are wearing on top (for all I know, they may even be significantly lacking in that department KWIM) but if a cute girl or sexy lady is wearing a skirt, I can't help but watch. I think it may be some childish fascination that I never got to play out. As a kid, I never met any girls who wore skirts so I never "punk'd" them with the "grab and lift." There may have been one skirt, but as a kid, I was shy and inactive so all I would do was sit and stare.
    Anyway, I think that the Japanese have a thing for girls in skirts (hell, every schoolgirl has to wear one as school uniform.)

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

There's even a phrase for it: Zettai Ryouiki. Although the length of the stockings is a factor in addition to skirt length.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercen-X View Post
    Would the placement of Vanille's mark have mattered as much if she were wearing shorts instead of a skirt?
    Honestly, pretty much all of sexualization in Japan comes in the form of girls in skirts. It doesn't matter what they're wearing on top. Hell, they could be in a big, uncomfortably fluffy coat, or have a robot torso, or be wearing a trashcan/cardboard box, as long as we can see she's wearing a short skirt down there, she's earned the "sexy" label. Yes. I've actually seen this.
    I'm not going to say it's undeserving. I'm the one who literally can't because I like girls in skirts. I'm not sure why. I really don't care what they are wearing on top (for all I know, they may even be significantly lacking in that department KWIM) but if a cute girl or sexy lady is wearing a skirt, I can't help but watch. I think it may be some childish fascination that I never got to play out. As a kid, I never met any girls who wore skirts so I never "punk'd" them with the "grab and lift." There may have been one skirt, but as a kid, I was shy and inactive so all I would do was sit and stare.
    Anyway, I think that the Japanese have a thing for girls in skirts (hell, every schoolgirl has to wear one as school uniform.)
    Aha, yes, I get it now; every Japanese schoolgirl wears a skirt... but I still don't get why the fal'Cie would brand Vanille on her thigh...

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Internal Logic: A brand in an inconspicious location would make it easier for a L'Cie to blend in with the general population and complete their focus. You don't see any L'Cie with a brand on the back of their hand or on their forehead.

External Logic: Fanservice, plain and simple.