Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't believe this game is 23 years old.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I first played it when I got the internet at home and discovered what emulation was back in 2002 or so. I thoroughly enjoyed it but still have yet to finish it (got all the way to the last dungeon then my 486 decided to bite the dust). I remember getting to the Ice Cave and not being able to believe how hard it was. Nothing I'd ever encountered in a Final Fantasy game had proved that formidably challenging to me at that point.

I wonder if anyone will still take the time to find and play it decades from now? I think it's awesome that people are still finding it and playing it today at it's age.
    I like Kung-Fu.

It just goes to show how timeless the FF series as a whole is. If you're a gamer who doesn't judge a game on it's graphics you'll love them all (well nearly all of them). When I got my PS3, I played FF IX on it more than XIII, which I still haven't completed (I don't have to want to complete but I will one day). And FF is so unbelievable hard and so is the whole of the NES era, but that might just be because I'm not very good at games.
    When we dance, it looks just like Fire.

When we sing, it sounds the same tone.

I bought this game when it first came out... in Europe, in the early 2000s. That is when it first came out over here, so as far as I care, that counts. I haven't had any luck in finding a way to get an NTSC NES game to work in my machine, so there.

My brother got it in 1987 when it first came out. I was only 3 years old at the time so I didn't play it then. I played through it for the first time during the summer of 1991. I still have my original NES with this game.

I wasn't even born then. Well that's humbling.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Agreed! Still half a decade til I even turned up on the scene.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Knowing that I'm nearly five years older than Final Fantasy makes me feel old.

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

It may be 23 years old, but it's still going strong! You know why!? Because of the love of the Misfits! That's why!
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

When Origins came out. Then I checked it out on an NES ROM, and last week I got the actual cart.
    1:24AM: network has gone offline. if you are receiving this message, immediately call staff, ext. 694.

Wow, this game is 7-8 years older than me. I beat the Origins version on PS1 and it was pretty hard, dungeons were sometimes annoying because of the limited amounts of items, so I had to go back and forth from towns and dungeons, Chaos also took me like 7 tries before I beat he/she/shemale/it/animal/devil/satan.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I've played the original US NES eversion on an emulator on my brother's dreamcast. I got up to the Ice Cave where you go for the Levistone before stopping. That was hard. I'm sure it must be awesome to beat that game but I don't think I have the stomach for it.

I've beaten the FFI & II GBA version multiple times. It is too easy. I tried running from all battles until the bridge is completed at the beginning, but the difficulty came back to way too easy at the Water cave/temple/crystal/whatever.

Still, it's a wonderful experience and an interesting formula that has stood the test of time. Love FFI.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

My original copy of the game stopped working some time ago, the game would crash anytime I got to the Marsh Caves and my saves would be deleted. So I never actually finished the game until Origins came out. Recently, I picked up the game on Virtual Console and have finally been playing through the NES version past the point my old game would meltdown, and its been a blast. I don't know what it is about these simple 8-bit rpgs but good god are they addicting. I have a Dragon Warrior 1 file I'm still playing through.

I've been meaning to write an article about FFI, maybe I'll do it when I'm finished with my current playthrough.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I'm playing this game right now and it's fun as hell. It has elves, it has dorfs, it has Black Mage one-shotting everyone and it's just glorious.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    My original copy of the game stopped working some time ago, the game would crash anytime I got to the Marsh Caves and my saves would be deleted. So I never actually finished the game until Origins came out. Recently, I picked up the game on Virtual Console and have finally been playing through the NES version past the point my old game would meltdown, and its been a blast. I don't know what it is about these simple 8-bit rpgs but good god are they addicting. I have a Dragon Warrior 1 file I'm still playing through.

I've been meaning to write an article about FFI, maybe I'll do it when I'm finished with my current playthrough.
    Awesome, I can't wait to explain why your position is tenuous at best.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

And then There are people like me who are rewriting FF 1 to make it an action romance
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen