Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Default Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Slighty disturbed to see no thread on this yet. Sonic 4 was released this week. Ill repeat that, Sonic FREAKIN 4 was released this week. So I was just wondering who had picked it up?

I'm not overly thrilled by it but I'm not necessarily disappointed. Its probably the best thing Sonic has done since the Dreamcast days (although Sonic Rush wasn't bad either). It plays well and the few additions to the gameplay they have done seem well placed, such as the homing attack. And it certainly moves fast enough.

I do have a few complaints though. Actually scrap that, I have a lot of complaints. For one the game seems like one long homage to the first Sonic. Secondly the game is short, especially for its price. Sonic himself looks horrifically bad in this game. The way he moves.......just no. And lastly, the music is pretty forgetable, which is very disappointing as the original Megadrive games have some of the best soundtracks of all time.

Id say Sonic 4 is worth picking up but it really isn't what Sonic 4 should have been. Sonic 4 should have adverts on TV, in retailers at full price going head to head with Mario. Not some overpriced downloadable game that no one knows about. *sigh*
    Last edited by Dreddz; 10-13-2010 at 08:16 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I was a bit disappointed to hear they went full on with the 'sonic 1 homage' and didn't include any kind of co-op and what-not, but I will still be picking this up. I grew up with these games, and the fact that they've made a decent one at least warrants a purchase. It's supposed to be fairly pretty as well.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I tried the demo. Either the controls are off or I forgot how to play in the past 13 years.

Quote Originally Posted by eternal essence View Post
    It's supposed to be fairly pretty as well.
    It looks ok I guess. You just reminded me of this video. While not an actual game I think that would have been awesome to play. Much more so than what I got with Sonic 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    I tried the demo. Either the controls are off or I forgot how to play in the past 13 years.
    I think the game controls just fine. One thing which I also noticed was just how easy the game is. I breezed through it no problem. Then again I have played a lot of Sonic.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I read a review saying that everything except a final boss battle is insanely easy, maybe the chapters will get progressively harder?

(they are still releasing it in sections aren't they?)

Articles
    Blog Entries

Hmmm, I know this is something I listed in many "fantasy" threads a long time ago, but can't say I'm incredibly eager. If it's just decent I suppose there's not really much of a point.

I got the Sega Collection on PS3, and just hooked up my surround sound system. I think it's time to rock out soon.

By the way, Dreddz, I think I've seen you post that video before and it's unbelievably beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by eternal essence
    (they are still releasing it in sections aren't they?)
    Yep. Three I think. All the episodes combined would equal to one fairly meaty game. I dunno why they didn't just combine the episodes, up the production values a bit and sell it at retailers. That could have turned out well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    Hmmm, I know this is something I listed in many "fantasy" threads a long time ago, but can't say I'm incredibly eager. If it's just decent I suppose there's not really much of a point.
    I think its definitely worth picking up if your a fan of the old games. The only drawback is that its a bit of a rip off. I'd wait until its price is lowered. That or I could just give it to you. I dont mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    By the way, Dreddz, I think I've seen you post that video before and it's unbelievably beautiful.
    You might want to check out this one as well.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I only got a chance to play the first level before I had to leave for work and I have to say I wasn't disappointed. I haven't gotten into it enough to tell if I am impressed, but not disappointed is sitll kicking the crap out of most post S3 entries.

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

I've got the demo downloading right now, but I think I'm going to be spending my valuable PSN money tonight on Alundra.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Ok, I've actually gone and given it a fair shot and I love it. It was everything I was looking for and well worth the price.

The demo did not impress me. I just felt far too slow and floaty controlling Sonic, the music was (as Dreddz said) forgettable, the animations made me roll my eyes, and I breezed through the level. Unless it gets slashed to like, $5, I'm just gonna pass.

Plus side: it made me play Sonic 2 again.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    You might want to check out this one as well.
    I'm covered in goosebumps. And feel like crying.

ANYWAY I'll let you know about the game, but I feel like I'd wanna give SEGA the money, ya know?

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

Quote Originally Posted by Rase View Post
    I just felt far too slow and floaty controlling Sonic
    Played it last night and these were my immediate thoughts, too.

Plus side: it made me play Sonic 2 again.
    This is always a good thing.
    Last edited by Flying Arrow; 10-14-2010 at 03:45 PM.

Blog Entries

Didn't like it much.

For the sake of not being a complete spoilsport I'll say that I didn't really mind the length. The game's about as long as Sonic 3 was, which ain't bad.

The physics are really bad, the controls are slippery (at least on the Wii version which is what I have) and the game is just too slow and clunky. The music could have been way better too.

This video sums it up best IMO:
    YouTube - Sonic The Hedgehog 4 Review

It's not as bad as Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis 15th Anniversary (the Sonic 1 port for GBA) but it's still not great.
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

I tried the second Sonic Rush game, I forget the subtitle for it, but it was horrid. I never really enjoyed any of the Sonic Adventure games, and they are currently probably the best Sonic games to date after the original run in the 16-bit days. I would have to say Sonic-CD is the best sonic game ever. It did so much different than the original games and kept the speed and feel. Even kinda accentuated it a bit. But the controls and flaotiness of the Rush game I played was terrible. The animation seemed really weird an unnatural. They just don't know how to make a Sonic game anymore. And I don't get it, at all. There are indie Sonic games out there that are better than anything the professionals have made. What in the world happened inside Sega's Sonic Team? Why are they so incompetent? And they obviously think they're doing a good job, 'cause they refuse to change their formula

So considering this game probably uses the same physics and stuff as the Rush I played, I'll probably pass. Its funny too, 'cause when they just had a little teaser out, some group analyzed it and decided it was going to use that kind of physics, and they were right