Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How do you want Final Fantasy XV to be like?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Opposite of FFXIII: FFXII. Greatest RPG in 10 years? Psshhh.

The sad thing is, no matter what they do with FFXV, at least half of the Final Fantasy fans out there will probably call it horrible purely because there are so many of us these days and they all have different ideals about what would make the greatest FF ever. The first fourteen games are so varied in their nature that fans of each individual game are as different in their hopes/expectations as the individual games are different to each other.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Opposite of FFXIII: FFXII. Greatest RPG in 10 years? Psshhh.
    Close, but as much as I liked the story and characters in XII, the exact opposite of XIII would have an even better story with better pacing. That said, FFXII was the best RPG of the last ten years next to Persona 3 if you ask me (still haven't played Persona 4 though).

I think it would be cool if they took it in a non-linear direction, kinda like Chrono Trigger, with different endings and at least one 'bad' ending. I mean, every FF up to now essentially bottlenecks you into the one preapproved ending, especially XIII. *dives behind low wall to avoid inevitable fruit barrage*

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

For me "Greatest RPG in 10 years" is somewhat of faint praise. I just wish they could nail something in between hugely open and ridiculously confined.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I hope they stick with keeping a fewer amount of characters like they have been since FFVIII. As much as I had fun playing FFVI, I prefer not having 27 playable characters, the only unique ones being gimmicky like Gau or Mog. It's nice messing around with all of their different abilities, but there are only a few personalities shared between them.

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

I was SE to surprise me with an inspired burst of creativity the way that Squaresoft used to on an almost annual basis.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    I'm going to agree with pretty much everything Wolf said, with the possible exception of having Daisuke Watanabe and Masaru Oka write. Maybe they could do it (Watanabe did work on XII which I loved), but looking at their writing credits, they also worked on some of my least favourite games of the last ten years. Which in Watanabe's case includes the worst RPG I've played in possibly as long, FFXIII.
    It's true not all of Watanabe's works have been gold but to be fair to him, I noticed his crappier entries also have a random factor such as co-writing FFX with Kazuhige "I'm a hack" Nojima and helping write XIII with Motomu Toriyama whose only a few steps above being and ameture in the scenario writing business with only two titles under his belt (Racing Lagoon and Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings) as an actual scenario writer as opposed to Scenario Planner. Besides Motomu, was pretty open about saying he wrote XIII himself. I wouldn't be surprised if Watanabe was simply cleaning up his scripts and making them presentable

Basing those games on the titles Watanabe wrote by himself or with a non- Nojima/Motomu, I feel he 's the better writer here. The man wrote Dew Prism for crying out loud, his weakest non-Nojima/Motomu entry is probably Dissidia and let's face it, there was no way you could write and engaging story on par with the series legacy with a premise as silly as a massive crossover fighting tournament. Still, I feel Chain of Memories and Birth By Sleep have been some of the best stories out of SE in the past decade and Watanabe was also the Scenario Supervisor for 358/2 which was also one of the better KH entries.

He's not the greatest writer at SE, and at best I feel he's hit or miss but I would rather take him over Motomu and Nojima any day of the week. Those two are the reasons I'm still skeptical about how good Versus XIII and The 3rd Birthday are going to be.

As for "stick to small parties", I'm fine as long as getting the group is still stretched out, I've noticed I tend to not favor entries that introduce the whole playable cast in the first few hours. Part of me still likes the idea of a group of strangers gathering together at different points over a period of stories as opposed to one group from the get go with maybe two other members not present at the beginning. I also feel that VI was hampered by technology limitations and that Suikoden is a better representative of a large ensemble cast where 20+ characters are relevant (depending on which Suikoden we're talking about of course ) so I don't mind a large cast and frankly I would like to see if SE could even do it. At least ten characters to keep things interesting.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I agree that getting characters throughout the story (and even having optional characters, a la Yuffie and Vincent) is far better than having them all from the start. However you need to still work solid stories into all of the characters regardless. If they start adding in characters for the sake of it, I lose interest in them. Likewise if they are only available near the end of the game. I think VII's characters were unlocked in a better way than, say, Suikoden, personally. I don't like massive casts as I prefer to focus on fewer characters, but again, I still prefer getting them in a staggered way with some of them being entirely optional.

I would like to see at least eight characters with at least one of them not being a humanoid. That would be awesome. Or a humanoid, but not to the extent that they're the same height. I was annoyed that there were no playable Bangaa etc. in XII. I'm not into fairy tales much, but it would be very interesting if a miniature-sized character was introduced and different areas could be accessed depending on "character size". A tall character can reach taller hidden items, a small character can get items from small holes, etc.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Thinking about it further, and what has really been missing from latest entries for me is personal involvement in the adventures. FF10-13 really just filled me with an incredible amount of apathy for what the characters were trying to accomplish. (which I would love to elaborate on if someone were to nudge this enough off topic ). It would be nice to do things in the game not for the sole reason that if I don't do them the game won't advance.

FFXIV Character

Omni Odin (Sargatanas)

NO MORE THAN EIGHT CHARACTERS PLEASE!!! Chrono Cross is incredibly annoying to me. Also, I like storyline too much to make it the goose-bumps style: "Turn to page 37." turns page "You're dead" I felt thats how CHrono was and I don't like it. Make it open, but not like that.
    Final Fantasies defeated
    Playing

I, II, III, IV, IVAY, V, VI, VII, VIIDoC, VIICC , VIII, Tactics, TA, TA2, IX, X, X-2, XI, XII, XII:RW, XIII, XIII-2, XIII:LR, XIV, Type-0, XV

FavoriteToLeastFavorite : VII>X>Tactics>IX>IV>VIII>XV>VI>XII>X-2>XIII>TA2>V>XIII-2>III>I>LR:FFXIII>II

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

like ff 12 for psp
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

1.) As long as the storyline is great I don't care if they return to the old school games with crystals or the more futuristic style. I prefer getting back to some old school Final Fantasy, but they can make a great story with or without it.
    2.) Prefer the use of more than 3 people in combat. Keep it 4 or maybe even 5.
    3.) WORLD MAP! That's usable!
    4.) More game play and less movie watching. The graphics are great and all but half the time I forget I'm playing a game.
    5.) Chocobo and Moogle usage, and not just used as a summon or merely a bird you can ride. Place them into the story or use them as a fun minigame/quest of some sort.
    6.) Plenty of Minigames and Side Quests that can be worked on throughout the game.
    7.) More playable characters please. 6 is to few and 16 is too many. I'd be happy with 10 or 12 fleshed out important playable characters. Loved XII, but out of the six playables 2 of them seemed out of place. Love VI more than any, but some of those guys had little reason to be apart of the team.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    It doesn't matter what we want. 15 is a multiple of 3. It will be amazing because that's the rule.
    Oh my god, I never realized this...

I'm so excited now.
    I like Kung-Fu.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I want

• Not super-linear story progression. If this is FF13, I would be fine with something like this for FF15.
    • At least an illusion of my choices affecting the story a tiny bit, for example through multiple endings. This makes for a lot of replayability. This is also nice when coupled with a new game plus feature.
    • Plenty of sidequests available at most stages of the story's development (not everything crammed into the last chapter (Hi FF13)).
    • A job system like in 5, 10-2 and 11. This means specific jobs that are changeable at any time, and a system that allows one job to borrow abilities from a different job (or several jobs).
    • Slightly futuristic fantasy setting, or perhaps steampunk-like. Anything but "ye olde medieval fantasy".
    • Fast-paced, balanced battle system. A quick-paced ATB-derivate is welcome.
    • Even though I want a job based system, I still want characters to have a tiny bit of individual differences in battle. Nothing game-breaking though.
    Last edited by Mirage; 11-10-2010 at 04:23 AM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?