Thread: Randomly Rebooting

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Randomly Rebooting

My computer reboots itself! Randomly! It smurfing sucks!

I installed a second hard drive. Now I have a half gig with my installs, and a one gig with my datas. But the random rebooting is not acceptable.

How do I make it stop?

i n v i s i b l e Tech Admin o_O's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Humphrey Squibbles (Sargatanas)

Is your computer actually shutting down and rebooting, or does it just kinda turn off in an instant? Do you get a bluescreen before it reboots? Is it getting hot? It could be the result of overheating or you might have bad memory/PSU/GPU.

If it's overheating, you can download a program like <a href="http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html">HWMonitor</a>, which'll tell you how hot your CPU is getting. If you run it immediately after a random reboot and it's up around 80+ degrees celcius then that's probably what it is. Also, if you're hearing any super-high-pitched whiney-whistle then it's probably your CPU overheating, but not all overheating CPUs make that noise.

If it's bad memory or GPU, then you'll probably be seeing a bluescreen before the reboot (but not necessarily) should download <a href="http://www.memtest86.com/">memtest86</a>. You can either get the ISO version and burn it to disc; then boot your computer with the disc in the drive or you can get the installable version and run it from Windows.

Otherwise you could be looking at a faulty power supply unit, in which case you should replace it as SOON as possible, cos failing PSUs are particulary good at ruining other parts of your system.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I would guess it's the power supply, since it now has to power two hard drives. I will check out the heat issue though.

It just clicks off and back on again, as if I had hit the reset button.

i n v i s i b l e Tech Admin o_O's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Humphrey Squibbles (Sargatanas)

Ooh, right, so the rebooting only happened after the second drive? Then it's probably none of the things I mentioned, but an underpowered PSU. I still recommend replacing it as soon as you can, because an underpowered PSU is just as dangerous to the rest of your machine as a faulty one.

don't go cheap on power supplies. I know that Corsair is a little pricey but from all the reviews, quiet, reliable, and delivers the power.

I've recommended them and used them myself and have had no issues.

Antec is a a good brand as well. So good that they have their own calculator so you know what PSU to buy!

check it out! Antec Power Supply Calculator
    Get Free Games and play with me on PSN. Here's how...At http://bit.ly/playwithme_free, Click on Free Trial, Fill in the Info, Pick some Games, meet me on PSN.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Do you know how much power your PSU can deliver?

Also, do you mean terabytes rather than gigabytes, perhaps?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?