Thread: Parties you've successfully class changed w/ only mandatory battles

Default Parties you've successfully class changed w/ only mandatory battles

I'm not sure if "level 11 class change" applies to all versions of FF1, but on all the remakes, it was the level you'd be if you only fought bosses and class changed at the earliest plot availability. It required a fair amount of resetting to ensure bosses with variable numbers, like the Piscodemons, were in their minimal configuration, and in my case, it required exploiting the living hell out of the ship minigame for spell casting items. I'm curious what parties people have achieved this with. There aren't many stipulations. If the game lets you do it, it's fine for this thread, even if it's cheap.

My only success so far has been Fighter, Thief, White Mage, Black Mage, and my version was the DS.

My current effort is Thief, Black Belt, Black Belt, Black Mage, and I'm already sick of the ship game. I didn't have fun with it on my prior effort, but as far as I know, there's no legit way to beat Lich in the remakes at level8 or 9 or whatever, without beaucoup de spell items. This effort is on the iPhone, which is the PSP version for all intents and purposes.
    Knock yourselves down.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I don't see it being possible to only fight bosses and make it to the class change on an NES version.

Quote Originally Posted by theundeadhero View Post
    I don't see it being possible to only fight bosses and make it to the class change on an NES version.
    I'm inclined to agree with you, but I always find myself surprised at what really skilled players can do, so I won't say so definitively. I mean, even on the friendliest of versions, it still comes down to luck - does lich favor group spells like blizzaga, or mostly single hit melee attacks? Sometimes, even on the friendliest versions, there's no way to avoid a cheap death. The original NES version didn't allow quick saves. While an ironclad gamer with an ass of steel and years of time to waste could still play the odds and keep retrying, that would totally suck on Earth Cave. Even on the DS and iPhone versions, I'm using every exploit and gimmick item there is, and resetting way more than I like. You're probably right.
    Knock yourselves down.