Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Games you're thinking of buying but not sure about . . .

Default Games you're thinking of buying but not sure about . . .

I see a lot of threads talking about one game in particular, but what about one thread where people can throw their ideas down on the table and get some feedback on how the game is, and whether or not they should buy it?

For example, I've been thinking of getting Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops on my PSP. There is a bundle deal on the PSN for $30 that includes the game, Prt. Ops PLUS, and the MGS comic. Is it worth it or should I try to find the game for about $10 cheaper at a game store? I'm also thinking of getting Grandia on the PSP and for the PS3 I was thinking of buying Resistance: Fall of Man. How are those games? Any advice?
    Final Fantasy Infusion - Live the Adventure

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I was thinking about buying Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, but then I heard it's only ten hours long with no replay value.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Portable Ops Plus is basically just the multiplayer from Portable Ops with some extras. I don't think anyone actually plays it any more. And the comic... is pretty dull.

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    I was thinking about buying Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, but then I heard it's only ten hours long with no replay value.
    Yeah, I was looking at this for a bit too. Really neat setting, but ultimately it plays like a less fluid God of War paired up with the kinda dull auto-platforming of the Uncharted games. At least this is what I took away from the PSN demo. It could still be good, but I'll definitely wait for a huge price drop.

Vanquish looks pretty good. Fun demo. I heard the game was far too short, though, and doesn't have a whole lot of reply value outside of time attacks and challenges. I also still need to pick up God of War III. But, AGAIN, I heard it was actually disappointingly short even when compared to the first two games, and I'm wary of spending $55 on what is probably a weekend rental game.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Kumo View Post
    For example, I've been thinking of getting Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops on my PSP. There is a bundle deal on the PSN for $30 that includes the game, Prt. Ops PLUS, and the MGS comic. Is it worth it or should I try to find the game for about $10 cheaper at a game store? I'm also thinking of getting Grandia on the PSP and for the PS3 I was thinking of buying Resistance: Fall of Man. How are those games? Any advice?
    Portable Ops is pretty good, it doesn't play as fluid as Peace Walker but its not bad at all. It just takes getting use to the new formula of using different untis for tasks and CQC is a little...simple. Still, the plot is pretty the gameplay is solid, and production values are pretty awesome. Still... I wouldn't pay $30 for it. Even with the expansion pack and comic thrown in for good measure. As Roto13 pointed out, no one really plays the online components and that's all Portable Plus is good for besides nabbing a few little extras like Old Snake and Young Campbell. So unless you are a die hard MGS fan, I would save the cash and just grab Portable Ops itself.

As for Grandia... The story is old school evil empire, mysterious girl with magic power, and supernatural terror that is at the core of it all. The cast is okay but the VA is terrible. I don't mean that lightly, the first time you have to deal with that US southern hick voice which is sadly trapped on one of the better characters, you will die on the inside... On the plus side, Grandia has one of the best battle systems in the RPG genre and its growth system is not too shabby either with the exception of a few characters requiring you to grind to high heaven to get their final spells. Still, its a pretty good game for gameplay, though the story and cast leave much to be desired.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Arrow View Post
    Vanquish looks pretty good. Fun demo. I heard the game was far too short, though, and doesn't have a whole lot of reply value outside of time attacks and challenges. I also still need to pick up God of War III. But, AGAIN, I heard it was actually disappointingly short even when compared to the first two games, and I'm wary of spending $55 on what is probably a weekend rental game.
    If you don't buy God of War III at least make sure you play it at some point, it really is pretty incredible.

I've wanted to get Resonance of Fate for a while now but I have to order it from abroad because no one here seems to stock it. Just wanted to know if it's worth the effort.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Kumo View Post
    and for the PS3 I was thinking of buying Resistance: Fall of Man. How are those games?
    Resistance was quite enjoyable when it came out but is still fairly generic. It's easily trumped by any number of FPS games that came out before it on other platforms and since it's release even on the PS3 alone. I don't think I'd recommend it myself, in part because of that and also because Resistance 2 was terrible and there's no reason to get into the first when it ends without resolving anything and the sequel isn't worth playing. You're better off picking up something like COD4 or Killzone 2 if you're after a PS3 FPS worth playing.

Quote Originally Posted by eternal essence View Post
    If you don't buy God of War III at least make sure you play it at some point, it really is pretty incredible.

I've wanted to get Resonance of Fate for a while now but I have to order it from abroad because no one here seems to stock it. Just wanted to know if it's worth the effort.
    Ill second your comment on GOW III. It really did surpass my expectations. Has the best "moments" in a game this year in my opinion.

Interestingly I also want to pick up Resonance of Fate. As well as White Knight Chronicles. Haven't played an RPG in quite a while. My next purchases though will likely be Vanquish followed by GT5.......if its even released this year.

Heavy rain, it looks really interesting but, i've been fooled before.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenHeart View Post
    Don't buy Heavy Rain if you play on an SD TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    Don't buy Heavy Rain if you play on an SD TV.
    It's HD =)

Katamari for psp

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'd repeat things I've said in the past about this game but that'd take too long. Short version is that it's an experience unlike any other and is easily one of the most unique and refreshing games I've played in a long time. Let yourself get immersed in it and it'll really wow you.

For a longer version, look here (and for god's sake watch out for spoilers. Knowing what happens in advance could ruin the whole thing for you): http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-g...ml#post2798306

I'm sitting pretty happy right now. Plenty of games I question the worth of I just get on Gamefly and plow through.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eternal essence View Post
    Interestingly I also want to pick up Resonance of Fate. As well as White Knight Chronicles. Haven't played an RPG in quite a while. My next purchases though will likely be Vanquish followed by GT5.......if its even released this year.
    Resonance of Fate is on my Wishlist on Amazon... I've wanted it but have other games to get through. It's actually offering decent prices in the high 20-low 30 dollar range. From what I've heard/read, it's certainly worth that price.

White Knight Chronicles is fun, but gets very repetitive in the long run. Playing through the story is fun at least, enjoyable battle system and great customization, then getting online and playing with some people you know. But eventually it just becomes the BIGGEST grind ever, like Disgaea level grind.

Other notable Wishlist games either waiting to drop in price or just til I have more time (preference wise):
    Star Ocean: Last Hope International
    Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
    Red Steel 2
    Dragon Quest IX
    Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals (DS remake)
    Nier
    Megaman Zero Collection (own all on GBA)

then this month I already pre-ordered Donkey Kong Returns, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, and Golden Sun Dark Dawn
    but I want Epic Mickey too....
    Thankfully (kind of) Little Big Planet 2 was pushed back, being nice on my wallet this November.

of course, all this coming from the guy who just started playing FFXIII this month, when I've had it since release day, have yet to open Bayonetta (got for 20 bucks at Best Buy) and have yet to open.... Modern Warfare 2 (still plastic wrapped), which was a gift last christmas. Not to mention all the games I just haven't gotten around to beating, like Arc Rise Fantasia, or further back Valkyria Chronicles.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9