Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obscure Games, why not?

Blog Entries

Default Obscure Games, why not?

So, today I found an interesting game for the NES called Uninvited. I've been playing it a lot! It's kinda scary...

What are some super obscure games that you guys happen to like?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've been having a blast going through a little Wii title called Fragile Dreams that I'm shocked to learn that no one has talked about. The game has good atmosphere and a great premise. A little too easy but its more of an adventure game than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I've been having a blast going through a little Wii title called Fragile Dreams that I'm shocked to learn that no one has talked about. The game has good atmosphere and a great premise. A little too easy but its more of an adventure game than anything else.
    I was to iffy on that game to pick it up or not, and no ones played it so i don't know if it's worth while or not. ;p

So tell me Wolfy, is it worth 50?

Uninvited isn't that obscure. It's the spiritual sequel to Shadowgate. It's also the only one of those four games I haven't finished. :P (The other three being Shadowgate, Deja Vu, and Deja Vu 2)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    Uninvited isn't that obscure. It's the spiritual sequel to Shadowgate. It's also the only one of those four games I haven't finished. :P (The other three being Shadowgate, Deja Vu, and Deja Vu 2)
    Well I'd never heard of it before, and I found it on this French rom website, so I figured "Gosh, only French people like this game".

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Not nearly enough people love Little Big Adventure. I mention it and people say "Oh, Little Big Planet?"

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post

I was to iffy on that game to pick it up or not, and no ones played it so i don't know if it's worth while or not. ;p

So tell me Wolfy, is it worth 50?
    I haven't finished it yet, so far its been pretty good. Its a gorgeous game and its actually quite creepy. You find random objects left over from the apocalypse and you can listen to the final thoughts or strong feelings left behind on them. The game opens with the main character talking about starting his journey after burying his caretaker who finally died.

Some of the creatures you fight look silly but others are pretty freaky like the shadow hands that come out of mirrors and try to grab you. Combat is a bit stiff so in a lot of ways the game really feels like Silent Hill except without the Mind Rape and more of a 80s children's nightmare fuel animated adventure type feel... If that makes any sense.

I guess the best way to describe it would be, what would happen if Makoto Shinkai made a Silent Hill game for the Wii. Still, I'm not terribly far so I won't completely say yay or nay but I will say I'm pretty impressed with it so far cause I was expecting less.

The only preconception I had for the game was 'Well, xSeed does make quite a few awesome games.'

Blog Entries

Here's some ones I really like:

Layla - A really obscure Japanese game for Famicom. It kinda plays like Metroid, but is IMO more fun. The only thing I don't like is that the graphics all have some weird pink/blue color to them (IOW it's kinda embarrassing to play this in front of others).

Masked Ninja Hanamaru - A platforming game that became Yo!Noid for NES.

Suikoenbu - Also known as Dark Legend (Saturn version) or Outlaws of the Lost Dynasty (US arcade version, PSN version). A 2D fighting game based on the Water Margin story. There's a lot of cool characters and gameplay mechanics in the game, including being able to throw your weapon, juggles that bounce your opponent off the ground, and more. The graphics and soundtrack are top-notch. The moves are pretty awesome too. This game is on PSN now in the Imports section, so if you like what you hear, and you like 2D fighters, give it a try.

Gotcha Force - A very fun arena game where you play as toy robots, and beat up on other toy robots with lots of cool moves. There are tons of 'bots to collect. It plays kinda like a much faster version of the Virtual-On games.

Shadow of Rome - An action game loosely based on Roman history. Tons of epic battles, full of blood and gore. What sets it apart from other action games are its high production values, and the fact that you get points for gruesomely killing opponents. There are also some really fun stealth missions in the game too, where you really have to plan out how to get past the guards, and watch their every move.

That's all for now. I had a brain fart after Shadow of Rome. >_>
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

Theres a game called Evil Twin back on the PS2 that I like. Not a good game by any means but a unique one nonetheless. Don't think it was even released outside of Europe

Articles
    Blog Entries

I still have the DVD version for PC of that game. It was pretty sweet but kinda hard and buggy so I never bothered to finish it.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

There's Septerra Core, this is like the only place I've been to where other people have heard of it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I still need to finish that one too. Stopped playing after I hit the final dungeon. Man that game was huge.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    LSD: The Dream Emulator

[IMG]http://www.autofish.net/shrines/lsd/lsd_081.jpg[ /IMG]
    [IMG]http://www.autofish.net/shrines/lsd/lsd_111.jpg[ /IMG]
    [IMG]http://www.autofish.net/shrines/lsd/lsd_009.jpg[ /IMG]
    I'm considering buying a Japanese PSN card so I can buy this game.