Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Humbug

Blog Entries

Default Humbug

I just got my first trick or treater ever and it was the most socially awkward experience of this week (I have a very awkward life)

Topic: Have you ever been unexpectedly engaged in a holiday or Cultural tradition? E.g. Recieved a Christmas card and felt obligated to return one despite your lack of Christian faith?
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

When halloween begins, I NEVER answer the door. Ever. I'm not very festive.

Blog Entries

I smurfing hate Christmas cards. What is the goddamn point of those things, besides being a total waste of money and containing horrible artwork I most definitely do not want to decorate my house with!

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I appreciate cards that are made from scratch. If you buy a Hallmark card and slap "love, soandso" on it, I don't approve.

I'm not a Christian, but I participate in Christian holidays (Christmas, Easter) because they're so culturally accepted. I'm being a grinch about Halloween, though, and not handing out candy. Damn kids.

Default Have Fun!

Even though there might be religious elements to holidays and festivals, the main idea of it is to have fun and subliminally stimulate the economy.

I don't see how that's a bad thing as everyone should benefit from that.

Granted you don't have to participate, but forget the beliefs for that moment and have fun!

I'm not Buddhist but I love their food and raid their parties!

Blog Entries

Im worried that foreign Halloween traditions are slowly starting to seep into Australia and if I have to start giving out candy that I didnt get a chance to receive when I was a kid then I wont be a happy camper.

(as a way to relate, it'll be like gradutating from highschool the year before they get air conditioners or new computers, except they make you pay for the air conditioning even though you've graduated)
    Last edited by blackmage_nuke; 10-31-2010 at 08:43 PM.
    Have a nice day!!

I didn't really like Halloween much when I was a kid. (Why go from door to door begging for candy? Why not just buy some?) I certainly don't like it now. Luckily, I live in an apartment, so I'm not really expecting to get any trick-or-treaters.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    I didn't really like Halloween much when I was a kid. (Why go from door to door begging for candy? Why not just buy some?) I certainly don't like it now. Luckily, I live in an apartment, so I'm not really expecting to get any trick-or-treaters.
    It's free and you get to have fun dressing up?

Not only that, at least people are walking and socializing. Something our society is doing less and less. Free candy!

I hated the rumor of poisoned candy. I doubt that ever happened on Halloween. Plus aren't you supposed to inspect whatever you eat? Sheesh!

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

If you don't want trick or treaters, just turn your porch light off. Gosh, grinches!

lol at 'foreign traditions' xD

I love Halloween. I haven't had a chance to do anything new and creative the last two years but before now I used to make my front porch in to a haunted house and I'd pass out candy to the kids after I made them walk in to my haunted porch. I'd set off the fog machine the moment they took the candy from my cauldron and my zombie friend would rise from the ground behind the table and scare the bajeezus out of the little ones!

I never celebrated All Hallow's Eve.... I just liked dressing up and getting candy. Then I liked dressing up my house and giving out candy. Supposedly the 'kids' my age are supposed to dress as slutty as possible and get drunk. I guess I'm doing it wrong.
    Do you Wanna Build a Snowman?

-= It doesn't have to be a snowman... =-

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Not unexpectedly, but I got dressed earlier than usual on a weekend just because I anticipated people I don't know ringing my doorbell. I don't really believe in Halloween -- in fact I just call it Candy Day because that's essentially what it is. Just another way for people to make money and children to get cavities.

Quote Originally Posted by Allie Juspeczyk View Post
    If you don't want trick or treaters, just turn your porch light off. Gosh, grinches!
    Doesn't work for everyone. Most of the trick o' treaters around here came before night fall this year.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

That's because their parents are bitches

Blog Entries

Halloween is my favorite holiday. Because I can go to McDonald's and see a guy dressed up as Ronald McDonald buying McDonald's, that is just insanity. Or I can be in line at the store and a cat lady, a zombie, and the devil will be behind me.

Awesome.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Allie Juspeczyk View Post

lol at 'foreign traditions' xD
    I have but so far only the vague idea of 'ask people for candy' has reached Australia, the details of trick or treating ettiquite arent yet well known
    Have a nice day!!