• Ramuh

0 0%
  • Ifrit

0 0%
  • Valefor

0 0%
  • Other (Specify)

0 0%

Thread: They're More Than Meets The Eye....

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Default They're More Than Meets The Eye....

So, what did you think of the Eidolons in the game? Did you have a favorite? Was their ability to transform into a vehicle mode a nice addition or a cheap gimmick?

My favorite was Brynhildr, because she looked awesome in both humanoid and car modes. I also liked her interplay with Sazh in combat, his casual oh hai there when she appears behind him was neat.

I have to say Bahamut but hes been my Favorite in all the games :P

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Alexander was my fave even if he was attached to one of my least favorite characters in the cast.

I found vehicle mode to be really gimmicky. I didn't mind the summons being machines but I never really liked the idea they turned into vehicles and I was pretty annoyed the game fails to explain why so it just makes the whole thing feel even more B Movie cheese. Course I felt the summons were pretty useless in this game except their little habit of restoring your whole party after they are summoned.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Alexander was pretty awesome. He's a giant fort!

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

The whole vehicle thing seems extra stupid when you see them constantly being used as vehicles in FMVs yet the only way you can get around expediently is on a chocobo.

I personally had no use for them. I'm not a fan of summons introducing a whole new game mechanic.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I agree. I had little use for the Eidolons in combat, and I did not like their presentation in the game or in the story.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I think their presentation was inherently flawed because they were each tied to a separate character, but in practice, you really need a tank (Commando/Sentinel) to be your party leader because a few wrong hits to someone weak like Hope, and it's game over. So the only GFs I really got to see were Odin and Shiva sisters, Bahamut I never used because I just didn't care anymore by the time I got The Dragon King.

People complain about the Phantom Beasts being useless in FFXII, but I think this game took it to a new, indefensible level.

Still enjoyed it, though!

I voted for Hecatoncheir because of the funny noise Vanille makes

I really like Alexander, because of how symbolic he is as the incarnation of Hope's true inner strength. And I've always liked Alexander lol.

I love your random PM's.

I think summons being able to turn into vehicles makes sense in the world of FFXIII considering Fal'cie are spiritual machines (machine in flesh, but with a life essence/soul/spirit/concioussness).
    Lamia's Tiara- Headgear in FFIX
    Lamia's Flute- Weapon for Eiko in FFIX
    Lamia in FFV- a enemy
    appearance: a lady with long brown hair, wearing a tiara...half woman and half snake.
    Lamia in FF3j- A Harp
    Lamia in FFL2- An enemy
    FF2j Queen Lamia, at one point she even gets Frionel in a bedroom with her and jumps on the bed and says "take me!".. before she turns into her snakey self. She serves as a mini boss in this game (as Queen Lamia).. and after you fight her as a mini boss, regular lamia's become random foes and later on in the game, Queen Lamia's become random foes as well.
    LamiaScl. an item that paralyzes foes.
    According to legend, she was once a Libyan queen (or princess) who fell in love with Zeus. Zeus' jealous wife Hera deformed her into a monster and murdered their offspring. She also made Lamia unable to close her eyes, so that she couldn't find any rest from the obsessing image of her dead children. When Zeus saw what had be done to Lamia, he felt pity for her and gave his former lover a gift: she could remove her eyes, and then put them on again. This way, though sleepless, she could rest from her misfortune. Lamia envied other the other mothers and took her vengeance by stealing their children and devouring them.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I would disagree, I feel your theory works on the concept that they are organic machines but it fails to give a satisfying reasoning to why they transform into vehicles. The fal'Cie may have been organic machines as well but they didn't really transform beyond Barthandelus, and certainly not into vehicles.

Ooops. Just realized I forgot to try them all out. Lightning was my main so saw plenty of Odin, but I think that's the only one I saw. Will have to try it out later if I remember.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Eidolon: A tool used to bring adamantoise to it's knees.

That's how I played the game, anyway. I never really used them more than once each outside of that, and that was only to see what they were like. I feel summons have lost importance over the years, the last time I regularly used summons was probably FFVIII. Oddly, the more interactive they are, the less I want to use them... go figure.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I use the summons in this game to save me from certain death.

My favorite is probably Odin because he saves me from dying the most.

Aside of FFX and FFXIII, summons aren't particularly useful to me, though the first few times I played FFVII and FFVIII I would summon constantly...now I'm not sure why I did that. But X's were lots of fun to play around with and could really help you win some of the tougher battles, and XIII's are great if you need to replenish your party and have no easy means to do it, not to mention basically all the hits you get in with them are free.

I agree with the sentiment about the driving/gestalt mode aspect being dumb though. It makes no sense that I can find, and it just looks incredibly silly to see Odin transform into a horse and Bahamut into a hoverboard. But nothing looks quite as ridiculous as when you're fighting enemies by doing wheelies with Snow's Shiva cycle and spinning your tires to make sparks with Sazh's flaming racecar.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Guessing one of the execs' 6-year-old son just got done watching one of the Transformers movie and said "Daddy, wouldn't it be cool if your game had transformers?"