Thread: Secret of Mana Port!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Secret of Mana Port!

...for the iPhone and in Japan only...

This makes me a little sad to hear but oh well. Its not like the DS isn't going to be irrelevant in a few months anyway. Still, I would have loved a DS port of this game.

Rarely do I venture to these parts, but seeing this made me rather happy, and then sad
    I think I'm going to play this now.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

It looks like the game has some minor updated graphics along with the addition of a loading screen. Is there any word on any new features or changes to the storyline or gameplay? What about a multiplayer capability?
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

"Minor graphical changes"

Minor? MINOR? Look at those trees. And look at the gorgeous clouds floating across the water. And look at everything else. It's gorgeous and I want it.

I would be extremely surprised if Squeenix didn't bring it to NA and EU on the iPhone/Touch. They invested a lot of resources into this to improve the graphics and to adapt it to the iPhone. Secret of Mana was pretty damn popular here and I think they know it. We'll be getting it.

I would even guess that they, understanding phone games aren't all that popular here, will bring it to the 3DS.

My understanding of the 3DS is that it is super easy for developers to add the 3D aspect to their games.

We could have rabites leaping right at our faces!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administator

I consider major graphical changes to be complete overhauls of existing designs rather than touching up existing designs. For example, if the backgrounds were completely redrawn, or the sprites were redrawn, then those would be considered major graphical changes. I think that it is nice that they touched up the graphics, but they are still recycling graphics from over ten years ago.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

At first I was excited. Then I saw the platform. I'm sorry, but even if I had an iPhone/iPod touch and it was coming to North America I wouldn't go near it. I've attempted to play emulated games like Zelda on my HTC and it's god awful with a touch screen. Even if it were more responsive my thumbs would still cover half of the screen.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administator

That is true. Personally, I am not fond of games with a small touchscreen. This means that I neglect any games to play on iPod Touch, iPads, or iPhones, too.

There was a port of a game that I used to play for Sega CD called Vay for the iPhone, but I don't have an iPhone, and I didn't feel like the game was worth playing due to the clunky feel of the medium, anyway.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I neeeed to play this, but I'm holding out for it to be released on the DS or the 3DS store or Wii store or something. But if that never happens, I guess I'll try it out on the iPhone. Just not looking forward to touch screen only controls on the iPhone. Looks clunky. And SoM is the sort of game where timing is important. :/

Curse, you, Wolf. You get me all excited by announcing the release of one of the few SNES games I still want that hasn't had a port yet, and it's not until after I enter the thread that I find out that it is neither going to be released over here, nor will it be for a system I care for.

Stupid, stupid Squenix.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Well, I finally got this. Honestly, this was a huge reason I caved in and got an iPhone.

Yes, the graphics are pretty, but I'm failing miserably at the touch screen controlls. Miserably. Maybe it's a skill learned in time, but I can barely walk up to enemies with any accuracy. Or up to NPCs. Or anything for that matter.

It may be much easier on an iPad as part of the reason is surely that my thumbs end up coving about a third of the screen...

I'm just hoping they port it to the 3DS. Imagine SoM with 3D-ized graphics and wi-fi co-op!