Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Press Start" WTF?!?!

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Angry "Press Start" WTF?!?!

I just have to vent. Why the heck do they need a press start screen before you can get into your video games menu? I fail to see what possible purpose this serves.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Frankly I think it's the best thing in videogames and I've actually sold a lot of my games if they didn't have that feature. That you do not love it is one thing, that it seems to actively irk you, well...I think I've lost faith in humanity. I am sickened to my stomach.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I thought this was going to be a thread about games where you can not pause. Like Phantasy Star Universe. Okay, I get that you can't just stop everybody ever when playing online, but can't I at least pause in Story Mode?!

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Frankly I think it's the best thing in videogames and I've actually sold a lot of my games if they didn't have that feature. That you do not love it is one thing, that it seems to actively irk you, well...I think I've lost faith in humanity. I am sickened to my stomach.
    I see now that there is no way we could ever co-exist. I will have to take the preemptive step of having you killed.

Articles
    Blog Entries

always seemed to me like some kinda tradition that has carried over from the NES days when they only had a few pixels on the screen to show off the game logo.
    This twenty-year-old boy was distinguished from childhood by strange qualities, a dreamer and an eccentric. A girl fell in love with him, and he went and sold her to a brothel...

"wtf" indeed.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

You don't have to press start in all games. Some let you use the X or A button.

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

I like when games say 'Press Start' but you can actually press anything to get past it. I hate when only the Start button registers, though.

Honestly, bigger issues for me are unskippable company logos that come before the start screen, and the 'Choose Your Memory Device' screen that pops up on lower-end Xbox 360 games.

Quote Originally Posted by JKTrix View Post
    Honestly, bigger issues for me are unskippable company logos that come before the start screen,
    There have been games I've been in the mood to play but realized I'd have to sit through a million years of developer logos and couldn't be assed.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Ten seconds of logos are nothing compared to literally twenty minutes of unskippable previews on a DVD!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    Ten seconds of logos are nothing compared to literally twenty minutes of unskippable previews on a DVD!
    not to mention the warnings by various shady agencies about how they're gonna kill you if you make a copy of the DVD. which you ironically only get on DVDs you actually bought.
    This twenty-year-old boy was distinguished from childhood by strange qualities, a dreamer and an eccentric. A girl fell in love with him, and he went and sold her to a brothel...

I hate everything that can be hated :[

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kotora
    always seemed to me like some kinda tradition that has carried over from the NES days when they only had a few pixels on the screen to show off the game logo.
    winner, it's from a time where games would just go once you let them know, unlike today where you already get taken to a menu.

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    Honestly, bigger issues for me are unskippable company logos that come before the start screen,
    There have been games I've been in the mood to play but realized I'd have to sit through a million years of developer logos and couldn't be assed.
    Lol, really?

Really?

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Maybe it is a throwback to original arcade games? Arcade games display quick demonstrations of the game to attract people to spend money on it. Appropriately, this is called its Attract Mode.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Honestly, bigger issues for me are unskippable company logos that come before the start screen
    Very very true.

ModNation Racers takes the cake in all this: having a loading screen to load the company logo's, after which you'll be taken to a 'press start screen', only to go back to another loading screen which finally loads the game.