Thread: Why did Yuna have an "Americanese" accent?

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Why did Yuna have an "Americanese" accent?

The game isn't set in Japan, it's not even on our planet, but Yuna's American voice actress is clearlytrying to do a stereotypical Japanese accent, which sounds so bad because of the American accent. "Ahm Sohry Ahm Soh Sorhy!"

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

It sounded to me like she was leaning towards British if anything un-American at all. If that is what the voice actress was going for, I think it would be because Yuna is pretty Japanese, even if Japan doesn't exist in her little fictional universe. But uh... she sounded pretty American to me.

I'm more curious about why her voice was so whisper'y. I realize the character is supposed to be perceived as meek, but the mousey voice sounds pretty forced, whatever accent she's going for

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Didn't sound american-japanese at all to me. You must be hearing things!
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Thats how the voice actor actually speaks

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

One of the reasons that the dialogue sounds stilted or forced at some points is because the voice actors of the game had no control over the lines in the script, and they are forced to fit a certain time length because the localization process does not change the dynamics of a scene. Yuna, in particular, was prone to saying things like "はい" in Japanese forcing the English voice actor to quickly say "yes" without any pause or additional dialogue. Also, keep in mind that all of the voice actors that recorded dialogue typically recorded their lines alone without the interaction of other voice actors working on the game. It is difficult to develop a worldly accent without interacting with other inhabitants of the world.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

She clearynot. Godpeople can't you even. Nah, just playing. I see what you're saying. I think they were going for a more demure tone of voice that Japanese women tend to have because Yuna herself was a symbol of innocence and purity.

Quote Originally Posted by Roogle View Post
    One of the reasons that the dialogue sounds stilted or forced at some points is because the voice actors of the game had no control over the lines in the script, and they are forced to fit a certain time length because the localization process does not change the dynamics of a scene. Yuna, in particular, was prone to saying things like "はい" in Japanese forcing the English voice actor to quickly say "yes" without any pause or additional dialogue. Also, keep in mind that all of the voice actors that recorded dialogue typically recorded their lines alone without the interaction of other voice actors working on the game. It is difficult to develop a worldly accent without interacting with other inhabitants of the world.
    thats a good point. i have notice that they do speak rather fast sometimes. like when tidus says "a city dead for a thousand years". but another reason they could try and have a combined accent is to appeal to the gamer playing
    Photobucket
    cheak out my art at http://missmaxx.deviantart.com/

Blog Entries

She IS wearing a kimono. Her eyes ARE a bit asian.
    But yeah I never noticed anything about their accents :\

She seriously just talks like that. I wondered the same thing before, and looked it up.
    "We're not the same, dear, as we used to be.
    The seasons have changed and so have we.
    There was little we could say, and even less we could do
    To stop the ice from getting thinner under me and you."

and then again its hard to know what a spira accent sounds like since its a fictional place :P
    Photobucket
    cheak out my art at http://missmaxx.deviantart.com/

There was a bonus DVD which came with it and it had interviews with Yuna's and Tidus' English voice actors. They both sound pretty much like their characters. She only made her voice sound a bit timid and reserved to match Yuna's character. I personally didn't think that she sound anything like an 'Americanese' as you put it.
    When we dance, it looks just like Fire.

When we sing, it sounds the same tone.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This kind of like when someone in a TV show (English one) got slated online for playing a gay character with a stereotypical "camp" accent - when in actual fact this was actually how his voice sounded in real life.

I had no idea that Yuna's actress had this voice - it must have just come across as "Americanese" to me. Thanks for explaining it everyone.