3 30.00%
  • This poll will get fewer than 6 responders

4 40.00%
  • IT'S TREASURE HUNTER!!!

3 30.00%
  • Solo WM

4 40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Final Fantasy: Thief Edition OR One Treasure Hunter's Quest to Rid the World of Chaos

Default Final Fantasy: Thief Edition OR One Treasure Hunter's Quest to Rid the World of Chaos

So because I'm an idiot and like to start playing long, time-consuming video games when I really should be doing schoolwork, I've taken up playing FF1 again. I recently played through the game with some stupidly easy party (I think Fi/RM/WM/BM) and cruised the whole way through. I enjoyed the playthrough, as I had the many previous playthroughs I have completed, but something was missing: challenge. (And monotony.)

How, then, should I rid myself of this lack of challenge? Why, by using some stupid party that no one should ever use! One that should frustrate the player to no end! One that should not be able to make it successfully through the game!

That's right. I'm talking about a party with 4 Thieves!

But 4 seems expensive. And extremely time-consuming to level-grind. And not badass enough to save the world; I want a lone wolf thief (treasure hunter), not some silly comic relief band of thieves!

So, my dear ladies and gentlemen, I have thusly embarked upon the stupidest idea I have ever had: take a single-Thief party through Final Fantasy.

Will I make it, or will I die of insanity? Only time will tell.

THE STORY SO FAR:
    I actually started playing last week, with this one Thief party idea. However, I did not have time then to make very much progress; I believe I got through Garland, and did so at around level 5. However, America decided to bless me with a holiday this past Thursday, and the time off from school allowed me to make massive progress in the game. Well, sort of.

It turns out Thieves suck. Big time. Suck at damage dealing, damage taking, and magic casting. Mostly because they suck at weapon wielding and armor wearing. This means I have to get really good at being patient.

Upon defeating Garland at a quite high level, I killed a ton more IMPs and some GrIMPs to level up even more before even crossing the brand new bridge. I wanted to be sure I could make it all the way to Pravoka with the limited heal potions I could afford, just in case some monster hit hard before I could run. I also needed to be at high enough HP to survive 9+ rounds with the Pirates. Yes, I said 9+; even though they only have 6 HP, there was still a possibility of missing completely or hitting for less than 6 at that point. However, the battle with piracy was quickly finished and I won a ship. I believe I was around level 7 at this point.

After acquiring the ship, everyone knows what comes next! The money-grinding with IMPs near Coneria to...wait a minute. That's not how you're supposed to do it! But alas, poor little Zero was not in any shape to face OGREs, or even CREEPs. So it was back to Coneria to hang around with our old friends, the IMPs and GrIMPs. After earning enough cash to pick up the best weapon in Elfland, the Sabre (Silver Sword? Waste of silver!), I was ready to try the Marsh Cave...where I would proceed to do 10 damage to one Wizard and get hit for 70 by each. Obviously, more grinding was needed. Upon hitting level 10 or 11, Zero finally started to hit multiple times per round. At level 12, I was ready to try the Marsh Cave again, and managed to get the CROWN and get out! I headed straight for Astos to get the CRYSTAL...and I do 1 damage, IF I don't get hit by a RUB.

So now I'm at the point of grind grind grind again, still fighting OGREs. I expect to be about level 20 by the time I do fight the dark Elf. Then I can get the Dragon Sword (best stats of any non-Masmune weapon the Thief can equip) and probably be level 30 by the time Lich is defeated.

So I must ask, dear readers: should I change my class and become a badass Ninja? Or should I tough it out and try to kill the other Fiends with the Dragon Sword in hand? At this point, I'm leaning heavily toward class change ASAP (Ice Cave before Gurgu).

Stats right now:
    astosgrinding-lvl16.png

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I think you should check out HSUP B TCELES - Let's Play FF1! Again! - The Return of Talking Time to know just what you are getting in to.

He had to use a emulator hack to gain more exp per battle, and was still only able to kill Astos at lv29, and only then through sheer random chance.

I don't even know if solo thief is even possible on the NES version.

oh dear god

what has i done

Ha, I had just read through that thread. You'll definitely need to do that class change. I'm trying to compile a romhack that makes it easier without invalidating the challenge. That is, eliminates (EXP) grinding and gives you half a chance. Essentially, that it does so far is turn the BlBELTs into POSERs (which, at 999952 EXP, hit level 2 where they gain their first point of health) and changes the HEAL potion into a HEL3 potion so that you have a fighting chance. Of course, HEL3 potion is 255G rather than 60G.

Tell me if you're interested.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

You would probably have to be lv50 to even have a hope of making it to class change in the first place.

Okay, here's what the hack has so far:
    New POSER class that "disappears" when they die.
    HEL3 Potion that heals 130 HP and costs 260G.
    Changed it so the text refers to the LIGHT WARRIOR.
    ZOIDBERG.
    Fixed the EXP thing that I broke. It didn't mention that EXP to next level was global...
    All enemies give 1 XP, and 1 XP is needed to reach the next level.
    The thief's coloring is different because I'm bored.

Does anyone know how to make it so that you can always run and so that the default classes on the class select screen are different (and possibly unchangeable)?

challenge stalled for now, but I will work toward finishing it once i finish school for the semester. unfortunately, that's not for another 3 weeks.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

School work is boring. Get back to saving the world.

I'm pretty sure this is impossible, but I'd love to see your (attempt at) progress.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Play this....
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

This is, quite possibly, the greatest idea ever.

But only because someone that is not me is doing it.

You need to be rewarded should you pull this off.

I <3 You!!!
    Or rather I love that you have the patience to even attempt this. Thief all the way through though for the win!!! Good luck