Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nobody ever teaches me how physics works

Articles
    Blog Entries

All I know is that in high school, when it was time for my weekly beating, the bigger kids would all start pushing me over and laying into me while yelling "Physics lesson! Physics lesson!!"

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Peegee View Post
    In the example 20 N·s-> 10 N·s -> , the object behind the object in the front strikes the object in the front, but with momentum 10 N·s
    Why does this happen?
    Objects traveling at a constant speed are in force equilibrium. Thus if there is no resisting force (air friction, tire friction, etc), there is no force on the particle, and even if there was the forces working in opposite directions, assuming they are equal would still create zero resulting force (definition of constant speed). So if you are looking at a collision between those two particles, it is no different if they are 20 / 10 or 10 / 0 N.s

The first part i can't explain any different that a simple force balance with non-deforming particles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignified Pauper View Post
    Does it have something to do with inertia? Being that the force of inertia on the object with N -> 20 has more inertia that overpowers the N->10 ? I think you're asking why the opposing force ends up being transferred between the objects. I think it has something to do with inertia.

Physics fail. ASL?
    Yes physics fail. I want to know why if I push against an object the force doesn't push back at me, or gets transferred to a power plant in brasil. "because that's how it works" ?
    It doesn't exactly push back at you. If you push against a cabinet for example, and it doesn't give (no movement), the force pulling back at you, is here then the gravity working on the cabinet and the friction between the bottom of the cabinet and the floor. The reason it "pushes back at you" is because that friction force transfers through the material stiffness to your contact plane. If it was deformable, the force would in fact result in material deformation, instead of "pushing back".

Sorry if my explanation isn't really.. yeah. It's hard to explain things.
    Last edited by Aerith's Knight; 12-05-2010 at 09:48 PM.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

It makes sense. I do have eyes and a brain. I just don't understand how energy is transferred (and I don't think people really understand that either?)

Blog Entries

You mean the transfer of inertial energy? It is a variation of kinetic energy. But to visualize that sort of energy transfer is impossible, because it is something we defined. It doesn't have a form as such, and can only be imagined in the form we defined it in, as we do with all transfer of energy (except perhaps electrical), if that makes sense.

Anywho, the way I think about energy transfer is with forces. One particle hits another, the particle will experience a force at the contact surface, with up to three vector directions depending on the axial system and how you define it. That force contributes to a change in velocity, etc.

Blog Entries

Grin

I need to talk to physicists and I think Rubah would hate me if I asked her that question.

I was going to troll this thread by saying that it's impossible to see collisions because we're too busy measuring particle velocity but instead I guess the tiny bit of information I gathered is payment to maintain my good behaviour

Blog Entries

I need to talk to physicists
    So...me?

and I think Rubah would hate me if I asked her that question.
    Rubah is a Mechanical Engineer.

Blog Entries

Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Aerith's Knight View Post
    I need to talk to physicists
    So...me?

and I think Rubah would hate me if I asked her that question.
    Rubah is a Mechanical Engineer.
    I don't know anything about you

And Rubah knows physics - she's a ME :coolface:

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rubah is azn?

Blog Entries

Grin

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernChaosGod View Post
    Rubah is azn?
    Ask her. But I think so

Does it have something to do with inertia? Being that the force of inertia on the object with N -> 20 has more inertia that overpowers the N->10 ? I think you're asking why the opposing force ends up being transferred between the objects. I think it has something to do with inertia.

Physics fail. ASL?
    Yes physics fail. I want to know why if I push against an object the force doesn't push back at me, or gets transferred to a power plant in brasil. "because that's how it works" ?
    Its all about momentum which is a product of velocity and mass. If you and a 300lb guy are running at each other and <a href="http://eyesonff.com" style="color: rgb(255, 255, 255) ! important; text-decoration: none ! important; cursor: default ! important;">collide</a>, then your going back the other direction - whats so hard to understand

Blog Entries

Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebrenna View Post

Physics fail. ASL?
    Its all about momentum which is a product of velocity and mass. If you and a 300lb guy are running at each other and <a href="http://eyesonff.com" style="color: rgb(255, 255, 255) ! important; text-decoration: none ! important; cursor: default ! important;">collide</a>, then your going back the other direction - whats so hard to understand
    I want to know how energy is transferred and why it goes the direction it does.

I could explain with formulas but I dont think thats what your after. Energy can neither be created nor destroyed, only transfered. This is considerably more complicated than just change of motion. On any <a href="http://eyesonff.com" style="color: rgb(255, 255, 255) ! important; text-decoration: none ! important;cursor:default ! important;">energy transfer</a> there is transfer of heat for example - but its not something somebody thinks about. I am not really sure how to explain it without mathematics. Consider throwing a baseball - your merely transferring energy to the ball giving it an <a href="http://eyesonff.com" style="color: rgb(255, 255, 255) ! important; text-decoration:none ! important;cursor:default ! important;">acceleration</a> and velocity while some energy is lost in the act of throwing due to friction as it is released from the hand etc - thus creating heat loss and inefficiency. No energy transfer is 100% efficient.

Blog Entries

Grin

I could explain with formulas but I dont think thats what your after. Energy can neither be created nor destroyed, only transfered. This is considerably more complicated than just change of motion. On any <a href="http://eyesonff.com" style="color: rgb(255, 255, 255) ! important; text-decoration: none ! important;cursor:default ! important;">energy transfer</a> there is transfer of heat for example - but its not something somebody thinks about. I am not really sure how to explain it without mathematics. Consider throwing a baseball - your merely transferring energy to the ball giving it an <a href="http:/eyesonff.com" style="color: rgb(255, 255, 255) ! important; text-decoration:none ! important;cursor:default ! important;">acceleration</a> and velocity while some energy is lost in the act of throwing due to friction as it is released from the hand etc - thus creating heat loss and inefficiency. No energy transfer is 100% efficient.
    Here I'll use some layterms which will infuriate you more:

In a closed system energy is neither added nor removed. So if a closed system had say, 5000 KJ of energy, you should be able to itemize 5000 KJ of energy no matter how energy is moved around.

I'm asking why if I throw a ball, I lose 50 J of energy which goes to the ball. Why doesn't the 50 J go into Neptune? Why doesn't it go to the other side of the Eagle Nebula? The short answer is because those systems aren't part of the baseball and me system. It still doesn't explain how energy goes from me to the ball .

Well 50J may go to Neptune......lol ultimately because heat is transferred off the ball from friction and is released into the atmosphere. Some of earths heat is then lost into space - and ultimately minute amounts may make it all the way to Neptune . As far as your last question - newtons 2nd law.

Blog Entries

Grin

Well 50J may go to Neptune......lol ultimately because heat is transferred off the ball from friction and is released into the atmosphere. Some of earths heat is then lost into space - and ultimately minute amounts may make it all the way to Neptune . As far as your last question - newtons 2nd law.
    Does the second law explain why entropy only goes one way and not the other? Like why it's impossible for something colder to give energy to something hotter without work.