Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nobody ever teaches me how physics works

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Peegee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Juliebrenna View Post
    Well 50J may go to Neptune......lol ultimately because heat is transferred off the ball from friction and is released into the atmosphere. Some of earths heat is then lost into space - and ultimately minute amounts may make it all the way to Neptune . As far as your last question - newtons 2nd law.
    Does the second law explain why entropy only goes one way and not the other? Like why it's impossible for something colder to give energy to something hotter without work.
    Stop being Azn.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernChaosGod View Post
    Well 50J may go to Neptune......lol ultimately because heat is transferred off the ball from friction and is released into the atmosphere. Some of earths heat is then lost into space - and ultimately minute amounts may make it all the way to Neptune . As far as your last question - newtons 2nd law.
    Does the second law explain why entropy only goes one way and not the other? Like why it's impossible for something colder to give energy to something hotter without work.
    Stop being Azn.
    \ _ /

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

This thread got to involved. instead
    *\o/*

Blog Entries

Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Dignified Pauper View Post
    This thread got to involved. instead
    *\o/*
    wow that is so gay.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Okay, listen up, and stay unazn, because entropy is a hard to understand topic.

First, something you have to realize that, like temperature, entropy is something we defined. So if it seems vague, that's only because in its original form, nobody who didn't take a university level thermodynamics course will understand (and a lot of who did still don't).

Entropy, in its simplest explination, is the measure of chaos in systems. Think of it as thus, take a container and pour sand in there with two different colors, both on either side, no crossover. Now you shake that container. The chance that the sand will come out mixed, with chaotic patterns, is far greater than the sand splitting in the same equal sides as before. That chaos is the form of entropy in this system. Shaking the container will only increase the entropy, and, at the best, the entropy will stay the same. Shaking the container will never make the sand more ordened. Therefore the entropy in a closed system can only increase or stay the same.

My third point, I say an closed system because that is a very important thing in entropy calculations. Entropy is often connected to temperature. As chaos is entropy, and molecules are most steady at low temperature, you can see why. Newton's third law states that the entropy of a crystal with perfect ordening, at a temperature of 0 Kelvin, is zero, because you exactly where each molecule is at every time. The system is ordened.

Now you ask, but why can't entropy decrease? I can take away heat through a fridge. That is because how you define the system. If you take the fridge and the room it came in, the entropy will only increase as it uses electrical power. (entropy usually takes into account the decay of higher forms of energy (work, electrical, etc) into lower ones (heat))

If you take the system inside the fridge, it cannot be a closed system, and the entropy of an open system can decrease.

This was another episode of Dennis teaches. Now go away.

Default yeah... but

"Jesus did it" is easier so that's what I'm going with.

I didn't know where else to post this sorry

Blog Entries

Don't disgrace physics with your gay tendensies.

Blog Entries

Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Aerith's Knight View Post
    Don't disgrace physics with your gay tendensies.
    but I'm a bi!fag

So basically entropy?

One of Doctor Manhattan's powers is 'reversing entropy', whatever that even means. What does it mean? Does he magic?

Blog Entries

One of Doctor Manhattan's powers is 'reversing entropy', whatever that even means. What does it mean? Does he magic?
    Impossible, but he'd do things like cool down objects without the heat going anywhere, create a Perpetuum mobile, and basically shatter the laws of physics wherever he goes.

Blog Entries

Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Aerith's Knight View Post
    Impossible, but he'd do things like cool down objects without the heat going anywhere, create a Perpetuum mobile, and basically shatter the laws of physics wherever he goes.
    I like magic. BTW before I read that as his super powers, I thought he was just able to do anything that is within the realm of physics. For example it is theoretically possible to change atoms to other atoms by adding and removing electrons (whatever shut up) - but it's not possible to reverse entropy or transfer energy outside of the system.

This thread is now about Dr Manhattan.

Blog Entries

So how about that big, blue penis?

Blog Entries

Grin

So how about that big, blue penis?
    If I could reconstruct my body any way I want, I wonder what I would do.

I'd probably look something like that, but with a bigger penis.

Blog Entries

I'd make myself not blue, probably before anything else.

Blog Entries

Grin

I'd make myself not blue, probably before anything else.
    Blue is awesome. You can pretend to be sub-xerox