Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Revisiting FFX

Quote Originally Posted by Elskidor View Post
    I take it as neither of them truly existed. They were creations for the loop hole to end the madness.
    I think that Jecht and Tidus 'existed' only as a dream -- in the fictional (prosperous) Zanarkand of 1000 years ago -- created by Yu Yevon. Somehow through the interaction with the then-current Sin, it brought Jecht to the real world of Spira. In a similar manner, Jecht wanted his son to free him from being Sin, and hence brought Tidus to Spira.

Yet Bahamut's fayth makes a pretty fair point in that, now that they have existed in some form, they do in fact EXIST in a tangible form. Consider that Jecht was a dream of the fayth, it makes him no less real than the aeons. Having become an aeon himself and then having been used firstly as a final aeon then as Sin, has he not transcended the dream to become real? I personally would have liked it if Tidus had been the dream of Jecht's fayth (even though he doesn't have one). It would have been interesting had the angle been more that he wanted to destroy and then save himself. In a way, the storyline touches upon that possibility but never fulfills the promise that it showed. I think Final Fantasy X does a lot of that; there's a lot of promise, a lot of questions half-answered, but somewhere in between the glue was missing that would have made it that 10% better. X is a great game in my opinion because it changed the FF gameplay and produced another interesting, intriguing plot. But it missed the chance to be the best game of its genre by not going a few steps further.

Final Fantasy X-2 should have also been more decisive and conclusive. The question should have been answered - Is Tidus real? And personally, for closure, I would have liked the answer to be yes. The whole Yuna - Tidus 'thang' feels like a complete waste of time on this play-thru because I know it's complete and utter fallacy. I feel more attached to other characters because Tidus just isn't there.

I replayed X a few months ago for sheer nostalgia, and not that I'm trying to impress you, but I beat the SHEET out of that game. It's one of the few games I'm better than my brother at and it will always hold a special place in my spleen for that.
    However :
    Final Fantasy X-2 should have also been more decisive and conclusive
    is an understatement.
    X-2 could have also been more....... good.
    Don't think I'll ever re-visit it. HA!

there's no I in team, but there is in pie, as in meat pie, and meat is an anogram of team

Quote Originally Posted by EMX View Post
    The whole Yuna - Tidus 'thang' feels like a complete waste of time on this play-thru because I know it's complete and utter fallacy. I feel more attached to other characters because Tidus just isn't there.
    I don't think it was -- I actually appreciate that the whole story is somewhat of a question, it lets us decide what it all means for ourselves -- and shouldn't art do that?

Those feelings Tidus or Yuna had weren't a waste -- they were real for Yuna -- and for Tidus, well, one can argue what those 'feelings' even mean on the level of reality... But to say that their romance (or whatever you want to call it) was a waste is to deny Yuna of having human qualities (as much as a videogame or movie character can have). I think it makes Yuna and Tidus that much more relatable, considering we all know how complicated relationships can become in general. The mystery of what they're going through makes it that much more intriguing.

Think about when you wake up from a dream that felt so real that you're baffled when you wake up -- is it not the same type of feeling? Would you call those reactionary feelings you had 'fake'?

(I'm not trying to shoot down your opinion and say you're wrong, I just think it's a nice topic to discuss)

I think that the fayth that needed no summoner to control at Gagazet was for both Sin and Dream Zanarkand. I think that Jecht, Tidus, and every other resident of DZ was as real as Sin and the Aeons, and that whether they had been touched by Sin or not, they could exist and manipulate the real world in the same way as the Aeons. It's not confusing to me to think about when I put it this way, because it means they are real. The only question that springs to mind, though, is that after the fayth "dismiss" Tidus, if they had procreated, if at all possible, what wold happen to his offspring? Would they suddenly lose half of their chromosomes, be unaffected, disappear themselves, or what? How would a relationship with an Aeon really work?

Quote Originally Posted by FFIX Choco Boy View Post
    if at all possible, what wold happen to his offspring?
    I doubt it would be possible. Tidus is shooting blanks.

there's no I in team, but there is in pie, as in meat pie, and meat is an anogram of team

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I ALWAY REPLAY IT WITH CHEATS AND HACKS! I LIKE PWNING AND HAVE MAX OUT STATS WITH NO EFFORT AT ALL.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FFIX Choco Boy View Post
    I think that the fayth that needed no summoner to control
    I think they do; (Yu) Yevon is their summoner, isn't he?

No, I don't think he controls anything but the weaving of Sin. After that, it's the guardian's choice what to do as Sin, not Yu's.

It's been nine years since I first played and beat this game and now that I've read this thread, I suddenly have the urge to play it again.

The things I liked about the game is the deviation from the previous games. It was the first in the series to have voice-acting, have no world map and use a completely different battle system where tactics and careful planning are required, not reflexes and quick-thinking. The Summon system too was top notch.

I also admired that it based its themes and designs from Asian features, unlike the previous ones with elements of sci-fi and Medieval Europe.

Overall, this game will be one of those that will remain in my heart and I daresay I'll never grow tired of it.
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    I ALWAY REPLAY IT WITH CHEATS AND HACKS! I LIKE PWNING AND HAVE MAX OUT STATS WITH NO EFFORT AT ALL.
    I'm a little late to the party, but that's exactly what I did last time I replayed it. 99 EVERYTHING.