Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Articles
    Blog Entries

Morrowind was gorgeous. Musically, visually, and from a gameplay and plot perspective, awesome. It was deeper, prettier, and just overall magic.

Oblivion was cliche and overly simplistic. Morrowind didn't require suspension of disbelief, it did it for you. The world is one of the most vividly original and breathtaking I've ever seen. It just felt bigger and more epic.

This tune. This world.
    Magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Laddy View Post
    I love sitting around and messing with that theme at the keyboard. It rocks this really heavy dorian feel but tricks you at the end of the phrase and that subtle turn gives it so much majesty and not too much of that clichéd Renaissance sound.

Articles
    Blog Entries

It's a feeling of passion and heroism. True heroism, not recognition or fame, but courage and goodness.
    Last edited by Laddy; 12-16-2010 at 03:24 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

this thread inspired me to download Morrowind. I kinda liked Oblivion but I could never be bothered to finish it. It just wasn't that interesting anymore after a while.
    This twenty-year-old boy was distinguished from childhood by strange qualities, a dreamer and an eccentric. A girl fell in love with him, and he went and sold her to a brothel...

Hopefully whatever new engine they develop can make decent people and animations. That, along with a removal of the "monster level up" system and a bit more variety and I'll be set.

Either way I'm buying it though. I've sunk too many hours into the previous games to doubt that happening.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

I'm led to believe it wasn't the engine that kept them from making good looking people. Its just how they decided to model them. I've been told there's mods and patches that make people look a lot better. Really wish I had it for PC

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

^ It was actually the one goddamn UGLY guards in Anvil that sparked my murder spree that ran parallel to completing the storyline. It's kind of weird how you can simultaneously save and destroy the world. And I'm not even talking about some kind of alter-ego deal where I would be good by day and evil by night; I was running to destinations and murdering everything in my path. I'd even beat down the quest essential characters a few times, for good measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    I'm led to believe it wasn't the engine that kept them from making good looking people. Its just how they decided to model them. I've been told there's mods and patches that make people look a lot better. Really wish I had it for PC
    Yeah, you can certainly make a vast number of improvements with some mods. It's nowhere near perfect, but you can do a lot of good. I couldn't imagine not playing it on PC. I play it 1-2 times a year and each time I start with a new handful of mods on top of my old classics. I'm up to around 100 mods. Most are tiny things just for making stuff prettier, but stuff like OOO and Better Cities make it a whole new game.

Speaking of which, the last time I played I decided it might be interesting to try it on a harder difficulty. I only put the bar up about 75% instead of trying out the most insane difficulty. And found out pretty quick, the difficulty settings are insanely broken. I guess the designers had no idea what "difficult" or "challenging" meant, so they took a boring and tedious route. Having to strike an enemy 100 times before it dies is not really difficult, its just boring and monotonous. And getting killed in 3 hits isn't really challenging as much as it is ridiculous and unreasonable. I heard there was a mod for PC that changed that, and instead of nerfing your character and putting all the enemies in god mode, it instead just added more enemies during encounters and possibly made them smarter. Now that's a reasonable upgrade in challenge difficulty. Hopefully Skyrim addresses issues like this

The problem is that you are almost guaranteed to get weaker the more you level up. The only way around this is to avoid sleeping... ever. Or, judiciously count stat increases to make sure you can get +5 all of your upgraded stats at level up time.

My favorite part about OOO is the static world. There are places I will walk into and immediately get my ass handed to me by dudes decked out in top notch armor. There are also places that are reasonable at level 1. But when I hit level 5 those places will be a joke and the armor on the dudes inhabiting that place will still be crap. Meanwhile, I start to be able to explore places that scared the crap out of me when I was low level. I actually feel myself getting stronger and more able to do things in the world.

Also, there's loot in chests in the caves. If I am skilled enough to stealth through or have some other way of making my way safely into an area that's too high for me, I could potentially walk out with epic loot that is fitting to my endeavor and will serve me well for an extended period of time.

This alone makes an amazing change to the game. I suggest if you have a PC anywhere near being able to run it you keep a heads up for a Steam Sale (potentially one between now and Jan. 2) that will likely put Oblivion up for a song.

I got Oblivion for something like 7 bucks in the summer (even though I already own the box GOTYE) and got Morrowind for something like 3 bucks (also had boxed copy). It's just damned convenient.

There's a healthy middle ground to be found between Morrowind and Oblivion. Morrowind felt like going out and having a big adventure. It was raw and dark and scary - around every corner it felt like you could get hurt. Oblivion was art over gameplay. It was an enjoyable game because it created a world of depth and beauty, but there was unfortunately very little depth or variation to the gameplay. If Bethesda can create another beautiful game that runs as smoothly as Morrowind then they'll be on to a winner. Oh, and no Cliff Racers. Personally though, I think they're going to get it this time. I think this is the game that will blow people away. Oblivion received a lot of criticism from fan-boys. It was a commercial success but I think Bethesda will aim for something that's both brilliant and successful this time. I'll probably play it and enjoy it either way - I enjoyed Oblivion and Morrowind, even if I preferred the latter.

I don't know.. Fallout 3 was awful bland in its atmosphere and characterizations and stuff. It seemed very much like Oblivion in those regards. Hopefully they buck the trend and take the route you're surmising

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I hope this one won't hang or freeze every now and then!

Actually maybe it is because I installed a lot of external mods, but then again, who dun! I mean, the flying mount and stuffs!!!

Articles
    Blog Entries

nah the engine used by Bethesda is pretty buggy in itself
    This twenty-year-old boy was distinguished from childhood by strange qualities, a dreamer and an eccentric. A girl fell in love with him, and he went and sold her to a brothel...

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think Bethesda are just massively trolling those of us who like Morrowind now.