Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I never played Morrowind but from the sound of it it seems like it concentrated more on battling then Oblivion did (where Oblivion mainly concentrated on questing and the battling was pretty simple).

That didn't bother me that much at all though since the battling is what turned me off from the MMOG and you had a difficult time getting into the quests because you had to constantly worry about leveling yourself up for monsters.

I do wonder though if the Skyrim world will be even bigger then Oblivion since on the Tamriel map Cyrodil is about twice as big as Skyrim.

Articles
    Blog Entries

No, it's just Morrowind is an all-around better game. In fact, I'd say you battle less in Morrowind.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Combat in Oblivion was better. Physics was better in Oblivion. In every other respect Morrowind was better. And to say that Morrowind was less focussed on quests is ridiculous - please do play the game before you make such monumentally incorrect assertions

Apart from the Cliff Racers, Morrowind had the number of battles just right. It was a good, fun game, better than Oblivion and with a feeling of being less 'safe'. Daedric ruins were scary and you could turn a corner and run into a Golden Saint that would mess you up. Oblivion was okay, I enjoyed it well enough but it wasn't Morrowind.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Morrowind had so many smurfing quests I couldn't keep track. The Fallout games are getting praise for all these "random encounters" that they have lying around but Morrowind s all over them.

I'm digging what I read somewhere about how they are doing the leveling with you system in Skyrim, where each new area (dunno if there will be visibly different on a map or not) will make enemies that are appropriate to your level the first time you enter it and lock them to that. While this does mean you'll never wander into a high-level place and get your ass kicked (which is a little ), it still mean you can return to places from earlier ten levels later and just lay waste and feel good for having gotten noticeably stronger. Also, this means I will make a place on the map surrounded by level 1-5 monsters, and in the middle with be level 30's.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I really, really, really hope that's not true. If you felt like it, you could just walk through the entire map early in the game and never be challenged ever again. That's stupid.

Talk about catering to the audience who don't want a challenge. I want to feel accomplished for finally being able to beat [tough monster]! >=( Sick of this "you can beat everyone the moment you first see them" bullcrap. There is no sense of achievement in these games anymore.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I can see the logic in this, but they'd really have to scrap the free roam aspect to make it work.

I never really got into Morrowind and I love Oblivion. I'll be counting down the days until Skyrim comes out.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    I can see the logic in this, but they'd really have to scrap the free roam aspect to make it work.
    They didn't get rid of it in Oblivion.

And it didn't work.

But this rests on the spurious proposition that Bethesda can learn from their mistakes.

Twisted Reality Shattered Dreamer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I love Oblivion so I'll definitely be getting Skyrim

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

I had never played Morrowind but I did attempt to play Oblivion and I just could not do it. I had played Fallout 3 and the jump backwards in terms of general gameplay was something I could not do. Simple things like stealing an item from a house immediately brought down the whole smurfing world onto me. Is everyone a Seer and watching my everyone move? The guy I was stealing from was sleeping!

That and I really liked the dialog options in Fallout 3 and hated the ones in Oblivion. I know it shouldn't matter but I like to know exactly what I am saying. I was actually shocked to see basic dialog choices when games like KOTOR had full dialog options years earlier.

I am curios to see what they do with this upcoming game despite never having been a fan of the series. I am not a big fan of the medieval fantasy worlds but awesome gameplay and quests can go a long way. I hope something like the reputation system from Fallout New Vegas makes it way into Skyrim. A blatant good vs evil karma system is so boring. We need factions and an improvement upon quests affecting reputation with multiple factions. Help one guy out and get disapproval from everyone else instead of just positive for the person you helped out. A deeper use of that system would be fun and more consequence oriented.

Heck, this game might not be for me in the end anyway but I can always hope that it finally fits my taste and style. I am not so concerned about combat options or the level of monsters. Isn't that what the difficulty setting is for? Can't I just set the game to easy and have fun doing the quests and consider the combat as a means to an end?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm View Post
    Heck, this game might not be for me in the end anyway but I can always hope that it finally fits my taste and style. I am not so concerned about combat options or the level of monsters. Isn't that what the difficulty setting is for? Can't I just set the game to easy and have fun doing the quests and consider the combat as a means to an end?
    Difficulty settings are fine, but I want to feel achievement when I can finally beat a monster that mauled me earlier. Sort of the equivalent of finally being able to beat a difficult enemy in a Final Fantasy game. Oblivion had it set so that when you leveled, so did everything else. I don't like that kind of game because it means every area is accessable from the start, every monster is beatable from the start, etc. That's kind of... boring. I could crank up the difficulty but I don't want every monster to be hard from the start, either.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I very much enjoyed being an axe-murdering lizardman during my travels through Morrowind. Afterwards, I never got into the hype of Oblivion so I never played it. Who knows what's in my future.

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

So far everything I've heard about this game sounds excellent. I am becoming unreasonably excited.

And this had better be the complete version of one of the dragon songs: YouTube - enslaved - havenless