Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

Default The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Scrolling through my favourite sites while taking a break last night, I was blown clear across the room when I saw the news that Bethesda had announced ESV at the VGA.

For those who haven't seen the trailer: YouTube - The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim Debut Trailer from Spike TV's VGA 2010

This is easily my most anticipated game of the last few years. Until last night, I was really hyped up for DX: Human Revolution and Batman: Arkham City, but now I really couldn't really care less about either.

ELDER SCROLLS.

Blog Entries

I can't wait for then next Elder Scrolls game.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I am excited. I think I read something about vikings and dragons vs an undead horde? Sounds promising.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'll withhold judgment until I have details. Oblivion was stunningly mediocre, but if they can capture the magic of Morrowind, well boy howdy are we in for a wild ride.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Dear bethesda

remember when you would make awesome rpgs like Daggerfall and Morrowind? Those were the days
    please make your next game like that
    we don't need another elder scrolls adventures title like Redguard or Oblivion

also:
    fire todd howard

then I will be excited

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Meat Puppet View Post
    also:
    fire todd howard

also:
    fire todd howard

also:
    fire todd howard

also:
    fire todd howard

also:
    fire todd howard
    I am quoted this five times to demonstrate the strength of my agreement.

I think if we face reality we'll admit that it's more likely that the game will be, on the spectrum, more Oblivion and less Morrowind/Daggerfall. The console yuppies whose first ES was Oblivion crooned at the wonderful graphics. The game that exploded on the consoles (ESIV) will likely cause ESV to be even more heavily console-ized and made to fit the demographic that made Bethesda a household name. That gameplay style will also be more likely.

It's just more difficult to make a Morrowind on a console. The UI is a huge hurdle. This was the same thing that happened with Deus Ex and largely demolished Invisible War.

Blog Entries

So, I played Oblivion before I played morrowind adn I found morrowind to be a much more pain in the ass to do things in. Which, made me give on the game after a very short time. Oblivion just seemed much smoother to me. However liek I said, I never played the others before I played Oblivion.

I prefer Oblivion to Morrowind. Anyway, I'm really excited about the news that we'll be having a new ES game at last! I guess I'll be saving my pennies in the next year so I can actually afford newer hardware. I couldn't run Morrowind or Oblivion with my old PCs back in the day when they came out. I'm sure Skyrim will be no exception. By next year, my Radeon 5850 will probably be mostly mid-range in terms of performance anyway and I want the eye candy.

I only played the Xbox version of Morrowind, which is ugly and slow. I've seen videos and read a lot of wiki in regards to Morrowind as a whole, and on the PC it seems it was actually a wonderfully realized game. So Oblivion is also the only ES game I've played (through). But I gotta say, originally it was astounding how much there was to do, and how big the world was. And the graphics were impressive. Originally. But these days I just can't stomach it. All the side quests are the same. All the characters have the same voice. Everything's almost too stream-lined. And lonely. Which was the original reason I quit playing. I recently tried to play again. And used a cheat for not finishing certain quests with people to keep them with me. And that was amusing, but not really any more fun. They were just silent fighters. The mod world on PC has morphed the game into something really good. But console owners don't get to enjoy that. So the game just kinda falls flat anymore. It had a lot of good ideas. But none of them are perfected the way people originally thought they were

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Morrowind was a beautiful game in that the story was absolute perfection. The visuals not so much but I don't really care about that. I enjoyed Oblivion but, like MILF, I feel it was mediocre. Morrowind's retarded little brother. It was fun to play and had alright graphics but the story stinks, and that's a major deal to me.

Regardless of how I feel about Oblivion, I'm pretty stoked for a new Elder Scrolls.

It's not that there's anything wrong with liking Oblivion more, but the games are almost apples and oranges. Oblivion is ridiculously dumbed down in comparison. To be fair, I've put far more hours into Oblivion. I love how pretty it is and I end up abusing the fast travel system. There are so many fantastic mods that every time I install it I can put 100 hours into a totally different game than the last time and still feel like I'm playing in Tamriel.

But it's s seriously watered down game. Morrowind makes me enjoy walking and exploring. There is more to see. There's more happening in the world. It's not just the same C&P grass, trees, and rocks everywhere. You can really go in different directions with conversations and finding out about things. In Oblivion there is a very specific flag you need to hit.

Oblivion is kinda like taking the Dragon Age Origins model and boiling it back down to a Fable 1 level morality system where you have an option either save the girl's cat or decorate her house with its entrails. Kinda obvious what's good and bad, eh?

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

There were a handful of things in Oblivion that I felt were better than in Morrowind. The only one I remember is that the journal/quest organisation was far easier to work with. However after playing a couple old text-based adventure games I suddenly love the idea of having to keep my own physical journal for the game.

I agree with the general sentiment of the thread though. If they can capture Morrowind's magic then we're set.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

If they made Oblivion without the "enemies level up with you!" and without the "The whole world looks pretty much these same, so you don't need to explore!" then I'd be happy. Basically more like Morrowind when it comes to those two things, but everything else I'm not heavily bothered by. Then again, I never played Oblivion long enough once the portals opened because everything was exactly the same and I felt no real point in doing anything. I loved Morrowind for how learning how to walk on water would allow you access to previously unaccessable areas, etc.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I'm pretty sure Oblivion's world was randomly generated. It definitely feels like it.