Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy IV + The After Years Go To PSP

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Seeing as neither give any reasons for that, we shall just ignore that.

Was it an RPG poll or a Final Fantasy RPG poll? I am having a fun time replaying X after the better half of a decade, but so far I couldn't rate it in my top 10 RPGs of all time, and I wouldn't put VII there either, but I know 7 will get it's spot in any top 10 list due to the fan base. If FFIII is in a top ten Final Fantasy list it's is easily doable, but if ranked with all the other RPGs out there it gets beat out by most of it's own series so I can't see it making it in a top ten beyond that. No beef with the game at all, but overall I just don't think you can have a top ten list with 3,4,7 and 10 all being in it and 6 not being. It's just kinda comical to be. I'll go on a limb and suspect half the people who voted for FFIII on that particular poll were confused and thought they could be voting for SNES' FF3. Still curious if it was an FF top ten or a ton ten RPG of all time though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

If the list contains no VI, IX or XII, it is irrelevant to me... But lists are a stupid thing. These things are always subjective and all statistics do is lie.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Let's try to stay on topic people, I don't need this turning into a needless "VI is overrated cause I'm a hater" and "VI is super special awesome cause I'm a fanboy". This thread is about FFIV so stay on topic cause I'm snipping any posts not exclusively about the FFIV port from this point onward.

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Elskidor View Post
    Was it an RPG poll or a Final Fantasy RPG poll? I am having a fun time replaying X after the better half of a decade, but so far I couldn't rate it in my top 10 RPGs of all time, and I wouldn't put VII there either, but I know 7 will get it's spot in any top 10 list due to the fan base. If FFIII is in a top ten Final Fantasy list it's is easily doable, but if ranked with all the other RPGs out there it gets beat out by most of it's own series so I can't see it making it in a top ten beyond that. No beef with the game at all, but overall I just don't think you can have a top ten list with 3,4,7 and 10 all being in it and 6 not being. It's just kinda comical to be. I'll go on a limb and suspect half the people who voted for FFIII on that particular poll were confused and thought they could be voting for SNES' FF3. Still curious if it was an FF top ten or a ton ten RPG of all time though.
    It was a Japanese famitsu poll, so no, III =/= VI for them. III = III and that's that. It was also a top ten RPG, if I recall correctly. Also remember the Japanese got III when it first came out and when it was still a revolutionary game, unlike us who had to wait 17 years to get it officially released in the west. We've got no nostalgia for the game, they do.

Sorry Wolf, I just had to correct this, but I'll leave it at that now. Just straightening out some facts, no fanboyism. No harm in that, I hope.

To get back in topic, if they go the 2D route, it seems so ironic to me that the DS gets all the 3D remakes and the PSP gets all the 2D ones. That's just messed up.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I hope they keep the DS graphics, maybe update them a little. While I found FFI and II's quite charming, I feel this would be a step back. Though, from the screens I've seen, the After Years are getting a I/II treatment, so I get a bad feeling... Then again, they might as well have been fake.

Some scans I found. It definitely looks like they're getting the I&II treatment.

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

FFXIV Character

That's kind of dissapointing, considering what the PSP is capable of. Seems like an attempt at quick buck to me. I'm not saying it's bad, IV's a good game, but even with TAY, it doesn't scream "effort!". Fun for the PSP owners who don't have IV yet, I guess, but not the game that'll make people buy a PSP. Unless those scans are only for TAY (which is possible). We'll have to wait for more info, I guess.

Will we ever see full 3D remakes of the first six, I wonder? It would be more fun than constant 2D upgrades, IMHO. The DS remakes in 3D for me proved that the early games can work in 3D, so why not in full console 3D? Maybe on the 3DS, for V and VI.

Quote Originally Posted by Elpizo View Post
    Where can these screens be found?
    You and I posted at the same time it seems I posted the scans

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

FFXIV Character

Yeah, I was asking the White Wizard.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I just followed the link Wolf gave, and then some link there. Anyway, bummer. I guess I won't be getting this, since the DS version looks superior, and if I get a wii, I'll be able to play TAY anyway.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

A newer article on this release says that there will be a new chapter to link Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy IV The After Years together. A chapter in Final Fantasy IV The After Years is roughly one to two hours of gameplay, so it looks like there will be a small amount of new content.

The translation should be improved slightly as the WiiWare release had flashbacks with the Nintendo DS script despite not having a similar script style itself, so characters would speak eloquently in flashbacks and speak colloquially in the present time.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Sweet pics!

FFXIV Character

Rydia looks hot as always. How does she do it?
    And Holy Dragoon Kain's cool.

There's just one problem: that looks fine for a GBA game, not a PSP one.