Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy IV + The After Years Go To PSP

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Direct feed :

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Well, it looks sharp, nice and clear, I suppose. Probably going to be the best 2D version of IV we're going to get.
    Makes me wonder if the Lunar Trials will be added to this version again, or any bonus content at all (aside from TAY).

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

For some reason those graphics heavily remind me of Sega Saturn RPG games. The light transparency in text boxes was pretty common there

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Trailer looks nice. Now why can't they remake the game in the style of the FMV shown in the trailer? It would look so good, and be a different experience altogether than a prettier 2D IV or even from the DS 3D version. XD

I wonder if the psp intro cinematic can top DS' intro. That has to be one of the most epic intros for a game ever. Every time I see it it pumps me up ready to play FFIV all over again.

I'm really psyched up for this. If only I had a PSP. Yeah, I know that FFIV, along with FFI, FFII, and FFVII have been getting a little too much attention from Square Enix, but seeing how The After Years was Wiiware only outside of Japan, it's good to see that they're trying to expand it to other consoles. In addition, I really like the detailed sprites that the PSP versions of the old FFs have, since it maintains a good balance of the classic FF feel while taking advantage of the superior capabilities of the PSP.

...if only I could find a clear picture of Paladin Cecil's battle sprite (non After Years).

I'm really curious as to if they're going to include all of the After Years' Chapters, the bonus dungeons of FFIV Advance, and perhaps give Cecil a downloadable costume for Dissidia Duodecim.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Gorgeous new graphics!

Great, so I need to get the graphics improved version of Secret of Mana for iPhone (which I don't have) and now this FF IV upgrade for the PSP which I also don't have. :P The things I'll do for retro gaming.

Actually, I was going to get the PSP for Ys 7 and Ys I & II Complete anyway...

I do have to say, though, that as gorgeous as these improvements are, I would rather have them spent time on doing a complete remake for the Wii or PS3 or even the 3DS. But that's absurd, I know.

While part of me is interested because it's FFIV, part of me is annoyed because...it's FFIV. We've played this game how many times now? And good grief, I will flip if Square relocalizes the script a fifth time for the US.

That, and it feels like a slap in the face to people who shelled for TAY, in its entirety, on WiiWare. Since you're getting it, the original, AND redrawn sprites and bonus content for around $40, which is also what the WiiWare one just about costs if you get the whole game.

It also confounds me that Squeenix shows apparently no love for the other 16-bit FFs, instead rehashing IV AGAIN.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hero View Post
    While part of me is interested because it's FFIV, part of me is annoyed because...it's FFIV. We've played this game how many times now? And good grief, I will flip if Square relocalizes the script a fifth time for the US.

That, and it feels like a slap in the face to people who shelled for TAY, in its entirety, on WiiWare. Since you're getting it, the original, AND redrawn sprites and bonus content for around $40, which is also what the WiiWare one just about costs if you get the whole game.

It also confounds me that Squeenix shows apparently no love for the other 16-bit FFs, instead rehashing IV AGAIN.
    I agree with this too. FFIV is right next to VI for me, and I've always loved the game but I really hope VI gets a full blown ps3 game remake for be ignored again and again. FFV and FFVI were suppose to get the loven after IV and not umm errr IV AGAIN! Atleast they didn't jump the gun and begin project FFVII remake......yet.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Well, it IS the 20th anniversary. And FFIV deserves it. It is absolutely my favorite FF game and exemplifies everything I love about FF. And TAY was pretty darn good as well. It will be fantastic to see these two games (and the new connecting chapter!) with these new glorious graphics.

However... I have to say I would rather they have done something completely different than redrawing these sprites for the THIRD time. For instance: a full 3D remake for the Wii or 3DS. Or something with a brand new style, like cel-shaded based on Amano's art.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I am not sure if Square Enix even has the ability to do a full scale remake of an existing Final Fantasy title right now. Their development times are far longer than what they used to be, and one of the officials of Square Enix claimed that it would take up to ten years to remake Final Fantasy VII with high definition graphics like Final Fantasy XIII. I am not sure if I believe that, but I think their overall attitude is to try and make smaller titles rather than the larger productions of the past.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

A remake of a 15+-year-old game isn't a resource drain. FFV and VI wouldn't need graphics like Advent Disappointment; maybe models like the FFIV DS remake but with higher poly counts and some gameplay tweaks. I s'pose the big hurdle with V is the job system...but III also had one and got a full remake! FFIV is great and all, but Squeenix neglects V and VI. Even I and II get more attention from them.

I've never been a fan of this style of graphics. Didn't like it for FFI/II, not a fan of it here. Or well, already have the game four times, that's good enough for me.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Of everything they could have done, upgrading The After Years to FF4 DS level would have been my preferred choice.