Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy IV + The After Years Go To PSP

If they keep doing this, they might as well make all the pre-FFVII games look REALLY good by might as well re-release them on the PS3

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justy View Post
    Yeah basically. Just look at the characters faces in the menu.

...ummm what?
    Are you talking about playing the actual game or looking at screen caps on the internet? Because I was real dismissive of the PSP ports, but seeing the way it's presented on the PSP screen it looks great, even artistic wise. The combat effects especially, casting a spell like Firaga on all enemies looks like water is cascading across the battle screen.

Those character portraits are pretty ugly, though. I think they're different from the GBA version, which were actually pretty good. Not sure why they did that. Maybe to bring it more in line with the After Years style? Isn't a new Character Designer/Art Director now? The portraits look more like the chick who did the DS designs, and not Amano, which I admit is pretty sad.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Square literally knows how to always, always, always steal my money. I'll be purchasing this game. ;-;

Articles
    Blog Entries

Just started The After Years, feel kinda bad for writing it off, I'm fairly impressed so far.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    Just started The After Years, feel kinda bad for writing it off, I'm fairly impressed so far.
    Yes, the plot may leave something to be desired, but it is thematically similar to its predecessor in nearly every way.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

TAY definetly brought in some great gameplay tweaks, I love the moon mechanics and the bands. Some of the new cast members are a pleasant surprise as well. One of the only things I'm curious about with the PSP release is whether it toned down the difficulty curve cause hot damn if TAY didn't mind showing you who was in charge. Challenge Dungeon can sometimes be an understatement.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administator

As far as I know, the game remains unchanged from its WiiWare incarnation in terms of gameplay.

Ceodore's Tale and Kain's Tale have been unbundled, so the first time player is no spoiled to some plot twists throughout the game. It allows the player to access Ceodore's Challenge Dungeon. Also, a new boss was added, but I don't have any information on it.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

um... i dont know if it will be on there, but psn should be up in the next 36 hours
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Out already? LOL, I`ll get this game after I get bored of Dissidia, and that doesnt seem to happen soon so you wont be able to steal my money yet SE..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Articles
    Blog Entries

it may not be back up until May 31. But it is available on the Store.

Articles
    Blog Entries

doesnt that just grind your gears, you should make a thread about it

The new superboss is (SPOILER)Lost Babil. It's a failed prototype of the Giant of Babil
    that went berserk after completion. The battle consists of three parts (chest, head, core), and you need to construct three parties as a result. To face him, you need to go to ??? on the moon, talk to a purple Namingway (you can also apparently talk to one of the Namingways here and do Challenge Dungeons, so they're no longer lost forevers like in the Phone and Wiiware versions), pay him 500,000 gil, and you get 3 Silver Apples and 2 Soma Drops for winning all three fights (as well as whatever experience and gil the boss parts give). There's a youtube video of it here.

Though the maker of the youtube video said that the battle is rather easy, I think they did that because they want to account for the fact that most people won't have 15 well trained characters, since it's not as important to train all your characters as it in, say FFVI.

Articles
    Blog Entries

thats not new....
    wait, Im thinking protobabil arent I

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administator

Quote Originally Posted by Evastio View Post
    The new superboss is (SPOILER) To face him, you need to go to ??? on the moon, talk to a purple Namingway (you can also apparently talk to one of the Namingways here and do Challenge Dungeons, so they're no longer lost forevers like in the Phone and Wiiware versions), pay him 500,000 gil, and you get 3 Silver Apples and 2 Soma Drops for winning all three fights (as well as whatever experience and gil the boss parts give).
    What is the deal with the reward? Silver Apples and Soma Drops are not impossibly difficult to come across. 3 Silver Apples and 2 Soma Drops only equates to +150 HP and +20 MP which is around the amount of HP and MP gain per level for some characters. Really, they should have just given another power up like the Dualcast ability for beating Doomgaze. The game is nearly finished at that point, so why not put a sweetened reward in rather than forcing the player to pay 500,000 Gil to get 3 Silver Apples and 2 Soma Drops. The only characters that those items would make any noticeable difference on are FuSoYa and Tellah, and they cannot make use of it because they are not in the game aside from brief chapter appearances.

Articles
    Blog Entries

the end of TAY is such a dungeon crawl, and definitely not the good kind