Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy IV + The After Years Go To PSP

Default Final Fantasy IV + The After Years Go To PSP

RPGFan News - Final Fantasy IV + The After Years Go To PSP

Final Fantasy IV has a lot of incarnations. It was released on the Super Famicon (SNES) in 1991, was one-half of the Final Fantasy Chronicles (the other half being Chrono Trigger) on the original PlayStation, saw a Game Boy Advance port and most recently, saw a Nintendo DS remake. If THAT wasn't enough, more recently a sequel, Final Fantasy IV: The After Years - originally a cell phone title - was released in episodic format on WiiWare.

If for some strange reason you haven't played FFIV yet, or want to play a fifth incarnation of it AND play The After Years, Square Enix's longtime classic and its sequel are now headed to the PlayStation Portable as one bundle. Square Enix is touching up the graphics and adding a chapter that will link up the two, and is set for a springtime release date in Japan. No announcement for North America yet, but unlikely that Square Enix USA will pass this one up.

Now all we need is for the game to come out on Xbox Live, and I'll have seen it all.

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I heard about this. I noticed that the magazine scan had some enhanced imagery of Baron Castle and its city on the overworld map, but, other than that, I see no evidence of any changes to the games themselves.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Will it be a port of the DS, or a 2D port with upgraded sprites like FF I and II anniversary editions?

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Quote Originally Posted by Elpizo View Post
    Will it be a port of the DS, or a 2D port with upgraded sprites like FF I and II anniversary editions?
    My question as well. Though I would think a 2D port, as converting the After Years to FF4 DS graphics is a little more than 'touching up'.

Interesting none the less, as this is probably the only possible way I will ever play the After Years.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

FF4 Complete handled internally with sprites like FF1 and 2 and 3D effects that might be on bar with TO PSP. Any gameplay additions which is likely will be announced in Famitsu.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just heard about this, I'm intrigued but question whether it will even get a release beyond Japan. Then again, SE has been awful generous of late. The question I have to ask myself is whether I really need another version of FFIV, and whether the answer to that question is going to be enough to convince me not to buy it.

Wow, I'm almost convinced Square loves this game more than its fans do :}

Lets see I have this game in two languages for the SNES, had the horrible port for the PSX, and I have it for the GBA and DS.

Do I need it again with those GOD AWFUL graphics?? No. I don't. I love this game, but no.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I will pick up this game if there are any enhancements rather than a direct port. I was a big fan of The After Years.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

I was clueless on how to play The After Years, so this is good news for me. I think it's funny how many releases FF1 and FF4 have, and I'm getting pretty dang impatient for my FF5/6 revisits, but this will fun anyway. I am starting to think one of the top dogs on Square is obsessed with 4. Hell, can't blame them, but a new ff6 release better be here by it's 20th anniversary or I'll..I'll..'I'll throw a tantrum and be mad a bit longer.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

IV is actually one of the more popular entries in Japan from what I've heard. It's apparently up there with VII and X for the Japanese fans, so I'm not terribly surprised.

FFXIV Character

I believe in a poll once, it was the 6th most popular RPG (so not only FF) in Japan. To my great, pleasant surprise, III was 8th, and awsomely enough VI wasn't even in the top ten. VII and X were in the top five.

I believe in a poll once, it was the 6th most popular RPG (so not only FF) in Japan. To my great, pleasant surprise, III was 8th, and awsomely enough VI wasn't even in the top ten. VII and X were in the top five.
    That sounds like the dumbest list ever.

FFXIV Character

Sounds good to me. No VI in the top 10 is brilliant, the game doesn't deserve it in any way, III gets the recognition it deserves, and IV scores high as well. Sure, X is a terrible game and VII merely average, and the lack of V and IX in the top ten is dissapointing, but hey, at least people over there have the brains to realize III belong in the top 10 of best RPGs ever. That's an achievement in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    That sounds like the dumbest list ever.
    Ditto.