Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Walking Dead

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Default The Walking Dead

Anybody watched this show on AMC last night? It's based on the comic series of the same name and by the name I guess you could tell what the overall plot is about, but the show had surprised me some after its opening sequence and it left on a great cliffhanger. You might be able to watch it online if you missed it.

386px-The_Walking_Dead_Vol_1_51.jpg

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh snap, I completely forgot this was starting. I will yoink it from the torrents immediately; the comic book is great, and the trailer for this looked pretty sweet as well.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I just found out that there is a re-airing of the first episode on Friday.
    Last edited by Depression Moon; 11-02-2010 at 06:29 PM.

Blog Entries

I'll have to look for it Wednesday. I saw the commercials for it and it looked interesting.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I missed it. D: Someone send me a link when they find it please.

EDIT: The entire Walking Dead comic con panel in San Diego is up on On Demand. There was also a NY one, but it wasn't on there.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Don't forget a new episode airs tonight at 10.

Just watched the first episode. It wasn't terrible. But there's something odd about AMC's style. I've noticed it in other series. I'm not sure if its their directing, editing, or what. Its just odd, artistically. Like they're tying to make something seem like an indie movie or something. Hard to place my finger on the particulars. When Rick was lying on the floor of his house the cut-aways and camera angles and blends just caught me as ... odd

I read a good portion of the graphic novels before giving up on them for getting lame, predictable, and repetitive. One of those cases where they should have quit while they were ahead, but they thought they had something good going and wanted to keep it going, just for the sake of keeping it going. A good artist knows when to call it quits. And speaking of art, the art style totally changed in that comic which completely threw me off. Once the plot took a nose dive there was no reason for me to keep returning to it

I honestly don't expect much better out of the series. But I'll give it a couple episodes. I'll probably download episode 2 sometime today or tomorrow

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Wait seriously Vyk? I thought the comic book was pretty amazing throughout.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The beginning of the first episode was too much like 28 Weeks Later. It didn't really start to get interesting until towards the end with the horse. I really enjoyed the second episode though. (SPOILER)I was very happy when the redneck got owned.

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Now that I've got around to watching, I'm in love with this show. It is awesome.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I really liked episode 1 of this show and I need to remember to catch episode 2!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Last night's episode was pretty interesting. I believe it's obvious what happened at the end and can't wait to find out what kind of drama it causes.

If anyone thinks this show is bad, I question their sanity and intelligence.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think the show is enjoyable, but it's almost painfully predictable. And I wish there weren't so many plot holes/things that don't make any sense. I know, I know, it's a zombie show. You're not supposed to nitpick. But it's a zombie show on AMC (home of Mad Men!!), I expected better.

Also surprised by how slow the pace is with this show, considering that there's only 6 episodes in the first season.

Things that don't make sense:
    How come some of the zombies can barely shuffle around, and others can climb over fences like it's no big deal despite seemingly being at the same stage of decay?
    Why are they sticking so close to a major city that is absolutely OVERRUN with zombies instead of stocking up and heading to deserted areas?
    Why did redneck dude cut off his hand when he could have hacked at the rusty, worn down looking piping or just broken/cut his thumb to wiggle out of the cuffs?
    Why is no one explaining how all this zombie stuff started out in the first place?
    If the sheriff's office where Mr. Main Sheriff guy was from was still fully stocked with guns and ammo, why don't they head to other outlying suburbs to load up on weapons and gear?
    Why the hell did Asian dude drive all that way with the alarms blaring?
    While I fully expect a significant amount of reverting back to traditional gender roles in times of apocalyptic crisis, I don't buy for a second that 100% of the washing would be done by women while one man stands around smoking a cigarette and another man sloshes around playfully looking for frogs. How does that make any sense? And the lady with the gun doesn't even know that the safety is on despite currently having to fight for her life? Not sure what exactly they're trying to illustrate with the gender dynamics on this show.

Overall I'm enjoying the show but disappointed in its lack of depth, the stereotypical roles, the things that happen simply for shock value. I thought this would be like... I dunno, really awesome. But so far it seems to be following in the same vein as a lot of other zombie movies/shows rather than elevating itself and standing apart.

As for episode 3, I thought the first scene was the most gripping and horrifying one but it kinda just became lackluster from there on.