Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What did EoFF think of "Final Fantasy VI: The Movie"? I personally LOVED it!

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pink Grin What did EoFF think of "Final Fantasy VI: The Movie"? I personally LOVED it!

It’s actually quite good, it was made last year, as you should all know being fans of the game and all, but that said, I am shocked to see that there doesn’t seem to be any threads about it! (I didn’t see any anyway, if this has been talked about before, I’m sorry).

Anyway, it was apparently meant to be released in the 90s, which makes more sense as that’s closer to when Final Fantasy VI was made, but they didn’t have enough equipment to make it or something, also it’s in 3D naturally. Whatever you think of 3D for the most part it’s a lot better than it was back in the 90s, and in Final Fantasy VI: The Movie it looked really cool. Anyway, I loved it, and would like to hear your thoughts on how it made you feel, since Movies based on games, are a bit touch and go sometimes, you know, like the characters don’t match their game selves or something... I think that’s probably why Final Fantasy VI: The Movie didn’t actually include any of the characters from the game, in anyway.

For those of you who haven’t seen it, the storyline appears to be set during the War of Magi – although I don’t think I heard anyone call it that, but then maybe the term was made after the war ended? Who knows what The Empire considered at the time?
    It was also interesting that the main characters in the movie were actually part of The Empire, although none of the major ones in the actual game were used, and it felt weird to be following the story of who were basically “our” enemies when we played the game, but then we grow to learn that the main character is fighting on the wrong side (oh, hope I didn’t spoil the movie! Then again, anyone who’d played FFVI would see it coming anyway). It was also interesting seeing the Espers/Genjuu (to make it easier, the movie does not call them by either name) created in full CGI design, they looked kind of cool, again I don’t think I saw any of the ones in the game though, but it was interesting seeing them on screen.

Also, I loved how the humans could actually make themselves into kind of part Esper part human in order to travel to the Esper World – which is renamed “Pandora” in the movie, a reference to the “Pandora’s Box” story told to Terra, perhaps? Or was the Esper World going to be called Pandora in the game? I can’t remember.

I didn’t like the excuse the movie gave to allow this to happen though, that Humans couldn’t survive as humans on the Esper world though – anyone who’s played FFVI knows this isn’t true. I also don’t know why all of the Human/Espers were blue, I kind of wish that that differentiated them a bit more, and maybe included some Espers from the FF series, but I liked how the storyline showed how even back then the humans really screwed things up for the Espers even back then, and you could tell that the movie was based on the pre-history of FFVI from a mile of, even with the strange changes to game physics, and the refusal to include any characters from the actual game, it was a pretty good prequel, so if you like FFVI, go get this movie! I recommend it!

I’m sorry, what? Oh, really?

Ladies and Gentlemen: I do apologize, but it has just this second been brought to my attention that this movie is not “Final Fantasy VI: The Movie” after all, but some non-Square affiliated movie named "Avatar"! Sorry if I mislead any of you...

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

At it's core, it's a common plot.

Blog Entries

I thought espers originally resided in the human world but the esper world was made to seal them away.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Everyone knows Avatar is Pochahontas.

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    I've yet to see the movie still, and that's definitely the impression I've gotten from it

None of the characters in the actual game appeared? Sounds like a major FAIL already.
    Vote in my EoFF Popularity Poll for every game and character in the series thus far: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8N6VZ98!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Does this thread actually have a point? If not I'm closing it.

A long, stilted, somewhat ineffective attempt at humor is kinda a point. I mean we've had threads about Congress before.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Granted the humor was dry, and I'm always up for making fun of big budget movies. But that probably should be reserved for the general forum areas, I'd say move it, but it's probably a dead thread now anyway. I was amused for half a second at least :}

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    I've heard that before, but I don't really see the link between the two. Unless it's like "one side invading", but the directions went differently - also Avatar didn't suddenly do a 180 and say "actually yeah, we ARE better off hating eachother actually!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Does this thread actually have a point? If not I'm closing it.
    Just me being silly about a movie I liked, because it reminded me of a game I liked, and this is a more extravagant way of asking "did anyone else notice how Avatar totally used the Esper storyline?" - I was in a playful mood, I guess, but you can end the thread if you like.

Never looked at it this way, but I see some things they have in common. And those big whatever things machines resemble magitek armor to an extent too, so even cooler. Good movie and all, but I'm still confused why it's the highest grossing blockbuster of all time. Oh well, people thought the same thing about Titanic and Star Wars.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

The story of James Cameron's Avatar is full of tropes and common mechanisms found in other stories. Many compare it Dances With Wolves or Pocahontas, and I believe that these comparisons are rightfully made.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Please tell me you aren't comparing Final Fantasy VI to to Avatar.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfen View Post
    Please tell me you aren't comparing Final Fantasy VI to to Avatar.
    I'm not, I'm comparing Avatar to FFVI - keep in mind what came first.

Avatar = the last mohican samurai who danced with smurfahontas