• Dragon Quest 3 (SNES Fan Translation)

3 27.27%
  • Dark Law: Meaning of Death

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which RPG to play!?!?

Blog Entries

Default Which RPG to play!?!?

I happen to have some RPGs in my possession. The question is, which one should I play!?

Whichever RPG is chosen will become the topic of a blog I will update after every time I sit down to play the game. :3

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I've never any of those old RPGs but it reminds me of how all the old RPGs I'm thinking about buying cost a damn arm and a leg on amazon and ebay. It makes me wish that Sony and Nintendo can release these games online so I won't have to pay so much.

Blog Entries

You know, it's interesting. I happened to find all of these online.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

How much did you pay?

Blog Entries

Well, Ys, the Shining Force games and the Phantasy Star games were on the Wii's Virtual Console, but Dark Law and Dragon Quest 3's SNES version were only released in Japan, so I found fan translations online and had to use an emulator. So, as a guesstimate, probably $30. (I didn't buy them all at once, and you have to buy points in increments of $10. >.<)

Wow, good choices. Old choices. I've never played through the first two Ys, the earliest one I played legitimately was 3. And it was pretty awesome. But I've heard the first two were even better. Especially with TurboGraphx CD since the music is supposed to be one of the better selling points. But I'd imagine those are really good choices. Phantasy Star 4 is extremely awesome. I never played 3. But 2 is really hard and a huge grind fest. Not bad if you're okay with that sorta thing. The Shining Force games are probably the easiest strategy RPGs you'll ever play. But they have extremely lovable characters and charming storylines that make it worth it if their magic works on you. And I haven't played that Dragon Quest, so I can't speak on that. Personally I'd say Phantasy Star 4 is probably the friendliest retro game to go back and play. My personal favorites would be the Shining Force games

Blog Entries

What's your opinion on Dark Law?

I actually played Dark Law recently, and it was kind of sub par.

That's really all I can say about it, just sub par. Barely played it before it bored me.

I've honestly never heard of Dark Law, so I can't speak on it

There's an SNES version of DQ3? :O

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

DQ3 might be one of my favorite DQ games but then again, I love the Loto Arc. I have yet to play the rest though I have started picking up Phantasy Star cause the series has always interested me.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

You can't go wrong with Phantasy Star 2 or 4 or Dragon Quest III. Like Wolfo, it's my favorite Dragon Quest or at least tied with V.

Both Phantasy Star II and IV are worth playing. I'd say go for Phantasy Star II if you can handle a challenge and a game that has dated somewhat. If not then just go for Phantasy Star IV. Both are excellent games and probably the best 2D RPGs outside of the FF series.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    Both Phantasy Star II and IV are worth playing. I'd say go for Phantasy Star II if you can handle a challenge and a game that has dated somewhat. If not then just go for Phantasy Star IV. Both are excellent games and probably the best 2D RPGs outside of the FF series.
    This. (Although I havent played PS II yet)

Also Dragon Quest III is an awesome game as well

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

Articles
    Blog Entries

My personal vote is to Shining Force, if you've already played it, then Shining Force II. It's the polish that really makes the game what it is.

I've heard a lot of people call DQIII the best in the series and if I'm thinking of the right game, I jumped for joy when the SNES remake's fanslation was completed last year (or was it the year before that?) although I still haven't gotten around to it. I've played a little of the NES version and found it highly playable and enjoyable so if they were able to do that on the original Famicom I can only imagine it's even better on the SNES.

I tried going back to the original Phantasy Star games a little while back and it wasn't easy. I'm a diehard Sega fan but I don't know if I'd recommend it.