Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Biggest Disappointment of 2010

Again. The makers of Hotel Dusk are capable of better.

I don't get the hate for Final Fantasy XIII. What's the big problem with it? The straight line from start to finish? Does that mean Final Fantasy X is too?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Probably FF13, but that's because I don't buy a lot of games that I don't know if i'll like, and becuase i don't play a lot of games, at least not this last year
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post

I don't get the hate for Final Fantasy XIII. What's the big problem with it? The straight line from start to finish? Does that mean Final Fantasy X is too?
    Yes

To give a more serious answer to your question, it pretty much depends on whether you like the story or not; cause their is seriously not enough game content to make the game standalone without a plot, like some of the previous entries could pull off. If you hate the plot (Like I did) then it was a 40 hour tedious nightmare that is best to be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13
    One of my biggest gripes was the sheer lack of diversity among enemy encounters. In X, enemies were not only much more varied as you traveled from locale to locale, but also within an area you'd find a good amount of different enemies in random encounters. In XIII, I got sick of fighting Psicom soldiers after the first 2 hours. Square thought it would be cool to make me fight them for the remaining 33 hours of the game, I guess.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Baloki Kyuu (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Does that mean Final Fantasy X is too?
    Always has been

Quote Originally Posted by I Took the Red Pill View Post
    One of my biggest gripes was the sheer lack of diversity among enemy encounters. In X, enemies were not only much more varied as you traveled from locale to locale, but also within an area you'd find a good amount of different enemies in random encounters. In XIII, I got sick of fighting Psicom soldiers after the first 2 hours. Square thought it would be cool to make me fight them for the remaining 33 hours of the game, I guess.
    Don't try and defend that game
    FOA

Articles
    Blog Entries

lol are you seriously saying you can't distinguish FFXs linearity from FF13s on-rails gameplay?
    This twenty-year-old boy was distinguished from childhood by strange qualities, a dreamer and an eccentric. A girl fell in love with him, and he went and sold her to a brothel...

A good chunk of the game takes place on Gran Pulse where there are no soldiers at all. Or any people, for that matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by kotora View Post

lol are you seriously saying you can't distinguish FFXs linearity from FF13s on-rails gameplay?
    Are you joking? Final Fantasy X is a straight line from beginning to end. The game is practically about walking from one end of the world to the other.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

FFX had like ten encounters that just got stronger and were colored differently. I love both FFX and FFXIII, but certainly not for their monster diversity. That ended after FFVII!

Again I wasn't disappointed with, but only because I read beforehand that it was made to increase viewership for some forensic science shows, which gave me the impression that it would be just a little bit better than movie adaptation games. I was interested in playing it, but part of the reason why I bought it was because I wanted to help Cing out just a teensy bit. Which brings me to another item on my list:

Last Window. Not because it was bad, but because I haven't played it because it was never released to the states. I want to continue the adventures of Kyle Hyde and I don't want to pay $80 to import it or buy an R4 cart

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I knew what I was getting when I bought FFXIII, so I'm not terribly disappointed with it. The slowly loosened straightjacket on gameplay options bothered me much more than the linearity or plot issues.

What really hit me hard was Lego: Harry Potter. This is the most glitchy game I've ever played. At least Eternal Poison seized up only during some of the random battles. Here I got trapped in a room with no way of leaving in an unwinnable state after 33 hours of effort. I then check online and find this is a common glitch. I can't return it or exchange it because the programming is defective not the disc itself. Traveller's Tales should be ashamed to release such a shoddy product.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I don't get the hate for Final Fantasy XIII. What's the big problem with it? The straight line from start to finish? Does that mean Final Fantasy X is too?[/COLOR]
    Are you joking? Final Fantasy X is a straight line from beginning to end. The game is practically about walking from one end of the world to the other.
    I guess that means your answer is "no".
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

A good chunk of the game takes place on Gran Pulse where there are no soldiers at all. Or any people, for that matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by kotora View Post

True. But walking from one end to the other had serious relevance to the (I must say; amazing) plot, the way the story was told was far more interesting and the pacing was brilliant. Temple puzzles added the needed variation. Oh and don't forget the game screws you over a couple of times by taking you completely off the track ((SPOILER)Bikanel Island for example).

FFXIII lacks some of those very important variations. New statement; if FFXIII had been compromised to something like a 20-hour game I would have loved it.

Biggest dissapointment of 2011: None of the games I have bought. However I have borrowed Red Dead Redemption from a friend and that must be the biggest dissapointment. My expectations weren't even that high, but come on, the game holds your hand throughout everything and enemies are like zombies. I wonder who asked for the Undead Nightmare add-on; enemies in the original were braindead to begin with.

Besides these massive gameplay-wise flaws I do give props for the environment and atmosphere. Just cut the one-man-army-but-hold-my-hand-gameplay Rockstar.

lol fine. I dislike the 22 hour tutorial in which the only enemies I encountered were Psicom Soldiers. Go ahead, keep telling me the reasons I don't like the game are wrong. I will continue to lol at them.

lol fine. I dislike the 22 hour tutorial in which the only enemies I encountered were Psicom Soldiers. Go ahead, keep telling me the reasons I don't like the game are wrong. I will continue to lol at them.
    The game definitely starts out way too slow, but it's pretty much as deep as it's going to be after 8 hours. And there are a lot of non-soldier enemies. Come on. I don't care if you don't like the game but don't say things that are objectively untrue.