Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Covers just as good or better than the original

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Cut it out. This thread is for sharing covers you like, not "my opinion is better than yours" banter.

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by dougicidal View Post
    Wow, I was going to suggest the Cash song too. NIN's version wasn't bad, it was a lot darker. But Cash's version was much more depressing and deep.
    Yup, Cash's cover of Hurt is haunting, particularly because it ringed so true for him to be singing it, after the life he had. And he died a little bit after so was like his "goodbye" song.

Just posted this instrumental cover of Smooth Criminal on another thread, it is loads above the original
    YouTube - Stjepan Hauser and Luka Sulic - Smooth Criminal

Also love this cover of Guns of Brixton by Nouvelle Vague
    YouTube - Bryn Oh - no light

And this one from Plan B - Stop Me from the Smiths
    YouTube - Plan b- Stop me (*with lyrics*)
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

The Corrs - Everybody Hurts (Mtv Unplugged)
    I really like this version, Andrea's voice is beautiful and I also like how they put their own Corrs/Irish feel to the song in particular with the violin.

"This the outro, I was gonna put it at the beginning
    But this is what I say the moment after I'm winning
    Thank you, Ultimate Victory"

The Ultimate Victory - Chamillionaire

BibliophileExtraordinaire Manny's Avatar

Ziggy Stardust originally by David Bowie, covered by Bauhaus.

I smurfing love David Bowie, but Peter Murphy shows him up on this one. This cover is better than the original.

Free Fallin' by Tom Petty, covered by Stevie Nicks.

Stevie is <3 to begin with, but I nearly drool when I hear her cover of this song, it's so full of awesome.

可愛い ♥

Blog Entries

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Alanis Morissette has an amusing take on My Humps; it's also better than the original by default, since any sound ever produced by anything is better than that song.

Dinner is served. Unbreakable Will's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dunno if it's been said but I liked Killswitch Engage's version of Holy Diver, it's a hell of a lot better than the original by Dio

Because I'm one hell of a butler.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unbreakable Will View Post
    Dunno if it's been said but I liked Killswitch Engage's version of Holy Diver, it's a hell of a lot better than the original by Dio
    You're dead to me.

Dinner is served. Unbreakable Will's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like Dio as much as the next guy, but I like Killswitch's cover better. That's right. I said it.

Because I'm one hell of a butler.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That was metal, but Dio had the pipes of a shiny, golden god. We shall have to agree to disagree.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I got a few that I feel are worth mentioning though first up, hell yes mentioning 30 Seconds To Mars covering Stronger is a must as was the honorable mention of Johhny Cash doing Hurt by NiN and Marylin Manson's cover of Tainted Love all great covers.

First up I've got 2 (if I can find the video for the second) by 30 Seconds To Mars not mentioned so far, I have no idea what makes these guys rock so well with cover versions but they do it well.

The first is their cover of Lady Gaga's Bad Romance which was like the Stronger cover done for the Radio 1 Live Lounge it can be heard here

Seems like I'm going to have to settle for the live version performed at the Virgin Megastores PA of this one but it's ok still. They did a cover of the Police's Message in a Bottle. It hasn't quite got the same astounding feel of their later covers but hell it's still good. Listen here.

Second artist up I'm going to go with Lost Prophets covering Justin Timberlake's Cry Me A River I believe it was also featured on a Radio 1 Live Lounge CD anyhow it's amazing, Ian's voice totally suits it listen here.

Thirdly, Metallica covering a Flogging Molly song, yes, you guessed it correctly. Whiskey In The Jar. This song is so well covered I don't believe it even needs further explaining. Shut up and listen bitches.

Fourth, Disturbed doing their own take on Shout by Tears For Fears. They made it much darker, much heavier and well it was almost unrecognizable. Listen.

Fifth, jeez I'm getting in to this a little I'll call it before 10 hopefully but seriously I could sit here all night putting this together. Ok well on with the music, thats what you all wanna hear. Evanescence did a live rendition of Korn's Thoughtless, the softer vocals of Amy Lee kinda work for me though not everyone is going to agree with me. Here is the video anyhow.

Sixth we've got another collection of awesome covers by a band which seems to do covers well, Rise Against I'm going to freely admit I'm biased because well they're my favourite band but well I think I'm on to something here:

Straight in with the first song by them: The Tour Song by Jawbreaker covered as an accoustic. It's awesome listen up.

Second song, a song which almost crossed paths with one of the other bands I love, they covered a Journey song. Anyway You Want It. As you can see though they did it well and therefore I didn't mind. Listen.

Third cover is of Buffalo Springfield's For What It's Worth. Not much more to say bout this one but it's great.

Fourth and final cover I'm going to post from Rise Against is Black Flag's Fix Me. I know a lot of people think the sound Black Flag has is more raw but I like this version better. Listen here.

Ok so moving on from Rise Against I forget what I'm up to even but well I'm going in a different direction, most of the songs I've posted so far have been punk/metal versions of songs. This next song is a cover done by Pixie Lott of Kings of Leon I'm not saying this is better than the original but I like it just as much for it's chilled out sound. Pixie Lott covers Use Somebody.

Again a massive difference from the music you'd expect from me but this is Ellie Goulding covering an Elton John song. This is a beautiful version of the song Your Song. I cannot stress that the Elton John version is good but I never felt it how it was supposed to make someone feel but the female vocals here does it better justice. Your Song by Ellie Goulding.

Ok this post is getting a little long even by my standards lol. I'm going to leave it here for now but there are so, so many more good covers I have heard that deserve a mention.

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Iceglow View Post
    Again a massive difference from the music you'd expect from me but this is Ellie Goulding covering an Elton John song. This is a beautiful version of the song Your Song. I cannot stress that the Elton John version is good but I never felt it how it was supposed to make someone feel but the female vocals here does it better justice. Your Song by Ellie Goulding.
    This kills me inside. I've never been an Ellie Goulding fan, but this tipped the iceberg. Everyone I know thought it was amazing. To me, all I hear is someone singing a beautiful song with absolutely zero emotion and over pronouncing every word in the song. It just sounds like someone reciting the song in RP. :[

My contribution to this would be Emily Browning's cover of The Smiths' song Asleep. I think it's fantastic.
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..