Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Your view on life?

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Aerith's Knight View Post
    Finish university, get my degrees, make plenty of money doing research to support a wife, with which whom I will make a few kids, then proceed to work and raise the kids for many years, until I retire, after which I will move to a house near the ocean and amuse myself for a few years until I die, after which I hope to god that eternity doesn't screw me over.

And of course boobs.
    lol god
    can I be your live-at-your-home poolboy?

I was going to copy/paste something from Wikipedia that made me look smart, but I decided it wasn't worth it. I think my answer can be found in that, somehow.

Come on, nobody depends on facts for everything. They'd have a severe problem in being able to conduct relationships if they depended on facts for everything and they'd also have huge problems in other forms of interaction, particularly with the big, bad world.

I'm neither here nor there as regards science versus god. I'm not a believer that you have to subscribe to the newsletters of one or the other, either. Do I have faith in things? Some things, but not the big man in the sky. I have what I hope are some logical theories on what may or may not exist, and some of those relate to god, but even then I do not necessarily attribute much belief to them - they are simply theories, and ones that I require in order to enjoy life.

Conjecture, questions posed and then attempts made to answer them, are what makes life interesting. In fact, that is the deepest essence of science when you think about it; theories made into questions which are themselves answered. Yet much of science never gets beyond theory, though some still would worship a theory as if it was fact and then make the point that their life is dependent on facts. Facts that they would never have been intelligent enough to discover for themselves, facts that they are often not intelligent enough to PROVE for themselves.

You see, we all of us have faith in something. For some of us it is a science textbook. Plain fact is that we are mostly too stupid to think for ourselves and have to have faith that what we are being told is the truth. Therefore I don't see the point in having a little faith in that which lingers around the edges; pseudo-sciences, fictional realities, things that may exist but probably don't.

My view on life is that we should be open-minded, though not at the expense of living within the reality that we are faced with. Thankfully for me, much of reality is very simple. Wake up, eat, move, eat, move, eat, move, sleep.

It's never all that complex so it doesn't really matter what I think. I wish I could break the universe down into such simple sentences.

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

Life is whatever you make it. Expecting too much just leaves you disappointed, but at the same time a bit of optimism is a good thing. Personally, I think life is great

Life is tedious and mundane, but you can make it interesting and exciting.
    I <3 Monkey Boys.

Blog Entries

"Life ain't a bitch, life is life and I hate it."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose View Post
    Mine is mathematics and science.
    No belief in any deities and I depend on facts for everything.
    And I love it. Thats why I am a forensic scientist. Facts reveal truth.
    So what about you guys?
    I am almost the same except I take it to extremes. I will not believe OR disbelive anything until I have first hand experience it is true. While I will accept certain explanations for things if they fit my observations and there are no other explanations that fit my observations (world being round, earth revolving around the sun, PG being azn) I will not accept them as absolute truth until I am able to prove it with my own eyes. Unfortunately this makes me a Holocaust denier never having seen the bodies or mass graves I can not take the third hand account of world war II or infact any historical event any more seriously than I would take the third hand account of Jesus being the son of God. However I am open to both of these possibilities being true.
    Last edited by blackmage_nuke; 01-06-2011 at 07:10 AM.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

A journey filled with challenges to overcome!

Abandon All Hope Fatal Impurity's Avatar

Life is ruled by two things:

Survival and Replication.

All things are both psychologically and biologically secondary to these two goals.

Our lives are dicated by social dynamics that establish our success in these two areas...some people fool themselves into thinking they are working towards some grander goal but ultimately it only ever comes down to two things - Staying alive (either literally or in memory) and getting laid (either literally or in legacy).

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Human life sucks.. The other forms of life are awesome.

Thats my view on it..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    So what about you guys?
    I am almost the same except I take it to extremes. I will not believe OR disbelive anything until I have first hand experience it is true. While I will accept certain explanations for things if they fit my observations and there are no other explanations that fit my observations (world being round, earth revolving around the sun, PG being azn) I will not accept them as absolute truth until I am able to prove it with my own eyes. Unfortunately this makes me a Holocaust denier never having seen the bodies or mass graves I can not take the third hand account of world war II or infact any historical event any more seriously than I would take the third hand account of Jesus being the son of God. However I am open to both of these possibilities being true.
    In terms of events in the past like the holocaust, can't you just prove it by pointing out all of the (still living) survivors of those events?

And you haven't proved my asianity - I could just be austistic

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I believe in things with reasonable amounts of empiric evidence behind them, and generally just live in the moment.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Peegee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    So what about you guys?
    In terms of events in the past like the holocaust, can't you just prove it by pointing out all of the (still living) survivors of those events?
    How do I know theyre not lying? If I ever met a survivor then I guess second hand evidence is good but I can still be open to the possibility it's all fake.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, philosophically speaking, yes, no sapient being can be certain of anything except its own existence. I know I exist, because the self cannot be tricked into existence, but I don't know that anyone else does, or that things occurred as the history books say, or that anything at all exists outside myself.

Still, there are things we can say we 'know' well enough to get by. The world I live in is the world I live in - it is internally coherent, has observable laws, empirical study works, and it remains consistent from day to day. Either it is real, or rather real enough, or the fiction is so thoroughgoing and well-made that I cannot hope to expose it. Either way, the best option is to life as if it is real - though always keeping half an eye out for a reason to think otherwise.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Life is, for me apparently, watching everyone I've ever known achieve everything I've ever wanted while I stagnate like pond scum.

Signature by rubah. I think.