Thread: Different types of Dual Shock 2 controllers?

Default Different types of Dual Shock 2 controllers?

My old Dual Shock 2 for the Slim PS2 didn't work properly anymore so I ordered a new one.
    However, that controller looks kind of different and seems to have harder and stiffer buttons as well, yet I never find any info about different types of Dual Shock 2 controllers anywhere on the net, all I find is talk about "the Dual Shock 2 controller".

My old one looked exactly like this:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...al_Shock_2.jpg

The one I got now looks like this:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...DualShock2.jpg

The logo is gone and the buttons feel harder.
    Do you know anything about this?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

One is a third party replica, the other is an official sony product.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That or it's just age making the logos become missing and dirt inside the pad making the buttons harder. Either one is possible.

Might be different in Sweden. But I never saw any third party companies completely copy the main product like that during that generation. In fact I can't think of any that ever did. Even during the NES and SNES days. Dual Shock 2 was pressure sensitive. So I'm not sure why it'd have stiffer buttons. Are you sure its a 2? Maybe its a black original Dual Shock

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Iceglow View Post
    That or it's just age making the logos become missing and dirt inside the pad making the buttons harder. Either one is possible.
    Seems unlikely, when the controller that's missing the logo is his *new* controller, not the old one.

Also, I've never heard of a black DS1 controller, and even DS1s had the sony logo and all that. That logo simply isn't placed somewhere that would be subjected to a lot of wear.

So no, i would say it is far more likely that you just got a fake third party controller.

He also never said anything about from where he ordered them. For all we know, it could have been from dealextreme, and that place is full of third party products that pretend to be the real thing.

Also, pressure sensitive buttons is usually the first thing to go bye-bye in low quality third party controllers like that.

Even the Logitech wireless PS2 controller I've got has sucky pressure sensors, and in practice only detect 2-3 different levels of pressure. Playing GT4 with that controller is terrible.
    Last edited by Mirage; 01-08-2011 at 04:09 PM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    He also never said anything about from where he ordered them. For all we know, it could have been from dealextreme, and that place is full of third party products that pretend to be the real thing.
    It was from a Swedish site (Tradera) and that site is usually very reliable; in fact they showed a picture of the controller I bought, but I guess I wasn't watchful enough - I really wanted a new controller at that point and didn't know there existed other versions aside from the original.
    It doesn't really matter too much though, my total prize would be equal to about $20, which isn't that bad, and I've got used to the controller now anyway.

The only thing that still annoys me a bit is the fact that the analogue sticks randomly stop working after cutscenes etc.