Thread: If I was going to watch "Dune" again, I would not watch this version.

Default If I was going to watch "Dune" again, I would not watch this version.

If I was going to watch "Dune" again, I would not intend to watch this version.
    Dune (1984) - IMDb

If I was going to watch Dune again , then I would intend to watch this version.
    Dune (TV mini-series 2000) - IMDb

Have you seen both?

David Lynch's Dune is a guilty pleasure of mine but I could list quite a few things wrong with the movie. I still think the look of the picture is fantastic no matter what anyone else says and the casting was spot on. The screenplay needed a lot of work though. To this day I still don't know whether I could describe the films plot to anyone. And I have seen this movie more times then was really necessary.

I haven't seen the TV series. Not something I see myself looking into but if its ever on TV for whatever reason I'd give it a chance. Dune's universe is still more intiguing then alot of science fiction these days.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What? Lynch's Dune is awesome. What's not to like?

How's the mini-series though?

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The mini-series is rather awesome, and it also has tits.

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

The mini-series is probably the way to go if you want to see a relatively faithful adaptation of the novel. In general, it has hilariously awful acting and set design (you'll see what I mean when you watch it). Also, like most epic novels that have been condensed to a running-time, sometimes it feels as though the mini-series is hitting all the right plot points but not doing a good enough job explaining the significance of anything.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Alright, I'll check that out soon.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Personally, I'm going to continue to hope that the 2014 movie adaptation doesn't suck.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I haven't seen either. I only just read the novel for the first time last year. Maybe I should check these out.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I haven't seen either. I only just read the novel for the first time last year. Maybe I should check these out.
    Did you give em a go?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Actually a couple of days ago we started to watch the 1984 David Lynch version. We couldn't get through 15 minutes of it. I think the opening scene with some weird alien describing some new sound weapon House Atreides was using turned us off right away because none of that had anything to do with the novel. Also we thought the casting was pretty bad for everyone except Jessica. The set designs were cool but these differences and the overall 1980s cheese were too much for us.

We're trying to get a hold of the DVDs for the mini-series, but Netflix says they're out.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    The mini-series is rather awesome, and it also has tits.
    This is exactly what I was going to say, except more emphasis on the tits. They also did Children of Dune, which was pretty good as well.

I haven't seen the David Lynch version, too many negative things said about it for me to go out of my way. I'll probably watch it one day though and most likely lose my mind when they don't follow the plot of the book.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I've never seen the original film, only the miniseries.

(SPOILER)It was very boring and put me to sleep.

Although I got all giddy when I realized it was the origin of "SPICE MUST FLOW".
    I like Kung-Fu.

Blog Entries

As with all adaptations, you may as well resign yourself to needing to read the book. Not interested in reading a book? No point in confusing yourself by watching a movie or mini-series, then.

I enjoyed both.

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I've seen both.

The David Lynch version tries to cover too much ground in too little time (like the Last Airbender). The main love story is glossed over with voice over narration. It has some stunning visuals but most of it looks like a laughably bad B movie. The plot is very confusing unless you read the book beforehand (which I didn't). One of those so bad its enjoyable movies.

The miniseries is much better. First of all, it takes more time to develop the story. It includes a whole middle act that details Paul's transition from (SPOILER)spoiled aristocrat to leader and prophet, while DL's film jumps abruptly from the first act to the third. It has excellent casting and also a good soundtrack. It has budget limitations as well, but it spends what it has wisely.

Dune is underappreciated, but the miniseries is a better introduction than the movie (short of reading the book itself).