Thread: The King's Speech

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Default The King's Speech

So has anyone else seen this yet? It looks to be a major contender for Best Picture at the Oscars (along with The Social Network and True Grit it's probably frontrunner) and Colin Firth already looks nailed on for Best Actor.

As for the film itself, it's a bit pompous at times and like all films based on real events it probably plays somewhat fast and loose with the truth, but it's very good and the acting is unsurprisingly first class, especially from Firth and Rush who bounce off each other very well. And it's very funny in places. Well worth seeing anyway.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I haven't seen it, but may well do. Sounds interesting, and it delves into chapters of fairly recent royal history that aren't so well known in the popular consciousness. From what I can gather, the writer paid good attention to first-hand accounts of the events, including the original diaries of the Australian linguist chap. Should be interesting; my only real reservations stem from the idea of Helena Bonham Carter as the Queen Mother, but I'm not one to condemn a performance without first giving it a chance.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I want to see this!! Its in limited release right now isn't it?

I adore Colin Firth, and I've heard so many good things about this film.

Blog Entries

It came out in full swing in Australia on Boxing Day. And it was smurfing brilliant.

It's definitely my film of 2010 - beating out even The Social Network and Inception.