Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy XIII-2

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamia View Post
    While I am excited that XIII-2 will be made, the release date worries me.They rushed 14 to the market, they really don't need to rush any more games. I understand that time has been but from the development process due to teh fact theat they can use content from XIII, but it still worries me.
    Yeah, same here. The one thing I can't stop thinking about is the fact that it's slated for this year's release...that's awfully soon.
    Yeah, but it doesn't mean they've only started developing it now. There have been rumours about DLC and then a sequel since shortly after the international release. And the production team that Squenix assigned to make XIII were not officially assigned to another project, as far as I am aware. Combine that with the fact that they have content already from XIII and additional content that apparently would be enough to make another game before they started developing XIII-2, and the release date seems quite manageable.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot View Post
    The way I see it is if XIII left you disappointed then buy it. Because the first one wasn't good, the sequel will in no way ruin it and you won't have high ecpectations (unlike X-2). If you did like it, be wary, because chances are, they changed things around. So ironically the sequel will more likely please those who hated XIII than those who liked it.
    That doesn't help with someone like me who strongly disliked FFX and then ended up dying a little on the inside from FFX-2. I can only imagine what a crappier sequel to XIII would be like and I have this sneaking suspicion that the game will play (structure wise) like X-2, by being mission based and filled with countless mini-games of which only two are actually interesting. Combat just needs to be fleshed out and get rid of the MegaTen influence (leader = dead = game over) or at least do a better job of ripping off the idea so it actually works like it does in MegaTen (Leader is usually a one man army and the hardest character to kill).

Who knows, I'm not feeling Lightning's "Sophia from SC" inspired new outfit and part of me wonders how combat and customization will work since everything depended on them being l'Cie. Are we going to Lightning become a new l'Cie or has PSICOM developed technology that imitates the power of a l'Cie? Is this game finally going to address the biggest missing elements from XIII's plot, mainly the fate of humanity from Gran Pulse and the "enemy from beyond"? Are we going to try to fill up the plot hole about the fal'Cie wanting the Maker to come back? Is Snow going to spend the whole game angsting about being a daddy like Wakka did in X-2? Is Hope still going to be an annoying little bitch?

The only way I might play the game is if it opened with the cast being murdered by Sahz and then turned out to be a new Chocobo Dungeon game with special guest star Sahz.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I always felt like the battle system of FFXIII already was a lot like FFX-2, but with only six dress spheres

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Are we going to Lightning become a new l'Cie or has PSICOM developed technology that imitates the power of a l'Cie? Is this game finally going to address the biggest missing elements from XIII's plot, mainly the fate of humanity from Gran Pulse and the "enemy from beyond"? Are we going to try to fill up the plot hole about the fal'Cie wanting the Maker to come back? Is Snow going to spend the whole game angsting about being a daddy like Wakka did in X-2? Is Hope still going to be an annoying little bitch?

The only way I might play the game is if it opened with the cast being murdered by Sahz and then turned out to be a new Chocobo Dungeon game with special guest star Sahz.
    -Dilly Dally, Shilly Shally-Lissar's Translations: Final Fantasy XIII: Episode i

This is the link of the translation of the epilogue of XIII in the international and it would seem to set up the plot elements of XIII-2 (which further suggests that XIII-2 has been in the pipeline for some time). There is a mention of the Maker, so hopefully it fills us in about the mythology. And it looks like the rest of the cast will not be playable. I'm guessing they'll be like the rest of the cast of X in X-2.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot View Post
    The way I see it is if XIII left you disappointed then buy it. Because the first one wasn't good, the sequel will in no way ruin it and you won't have high ecpectations (unlike X-2). If you did like it, be wary, because chances are, they changed things around. So ironically the sequel will more likely please those who hated XIII than those who liked it.
    That doesn't help with someone like me who strongly disliked FFX and then ended up dying a little on the inside from FFX-2. I can only imagine what a crappier sequel to XIII would be like and I have this sneaking suspicion that the game will play (structure wise) like X-2, by being mission based and filled with countless mini-games of which only two are actually interesting. Combat just needs to be fleshed out and get rid of the MegaTen influence (leader = dead = game over) or at least do a better job of ripping off the idea so it actually works like it does in MegaTen (Leader is usually a one man army and the hardest character to kill).

Who knows, I'm not feeling Lightning's "Sophia from SC" inspired new outfit and part of me wonders how combat and customization will work since everything depended on them being l'Cie. Are we going to Lightning become a new l'Cie or has PSICOM developed technology that imitates the power of a l'Cie? Is this game finally going to address the biggest missing elements from XIII's plot, mainly the fate of humanity from Gran Pulse and the "enemy from beyond"? Are we going to try to fill up the plot hole about the fal'Cie wanting the Maker to come back? Is Snow going to spend the whole game angsting about being a daddy like Wakka did in X-2? Is Hope still going to be an annoying little bitch?

I'm still not entirely sure, Wolfy boy. Did you like FFXIII? Don't sit on the fence, now.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Who knows, I'm not feeling Lightning's "Sophia from SC" inspired new outfit
    Because Namco invented armor...

part of me wonders how combat and customization will work since everything depended on them being l'Cie.
    Apparently you missed the entire first part of the game where they were all fighting BEFORE becoming l'cie...

Is this game finally going to address the biggest missing elements from XIII's plot, mainly the fate of humanity from Gran Pulse and the "enemy from beyond"?
    Fang and Vanille explained, in depth, how this happened...did you skip the cutscenes?

Are we going to try to fill up the plot hole about the fal'Cie wanting the Maker to come back? Is Snow going to spend the whole game angsting about being a daddy like Wakka did in X-2? Is Hope still going to be an annoying little bitch?
    I can't wait to find out!

We get it; you hate Final Fantasy games. Just save your money and don't play them anymore. I don't get why you people act like SE is holding a gun to your head making you play games you just can't stand. And post on message boards about the games you can't stand. And keep playing tens of hours long game all the way through and hate every last minute of it.

lol internet
    Last edited by DMKA; 01-19-2011 at 08:52 PM.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

We get it; you hate Final Fantasy games. Just save your money and don't play them anymore. I don't get why you people act like SE is holding a gun to your head making you play games you just can't stand. And post on message boards about the games you can't stand. And keep playing tens of hours long game all the way through and hate every last minute of it.

lol internet
    Oh get off your high horse, dude.

Final Fantasy XIII was the only Final Fantasy game I've ever returned because I never wanted to touch it again after I beat it. There's no use discussing what about the game disappointed me so much since that's a conversation that's been had over and over. There are legitimate reasons to dislike Final Fantasy XIII, and a bunch of people did, in fact, dislike it. Just because they were optimistic, bought a copy, played it, and ended up hating it doesn't mean they feel like they had no other choice. I had to force myself to finish FFXIII because I love the series; still thought it was a piece of crap, though.

I don't often jump to Wolf Kanno's defense, but his concerns were, for the most part, justified. The battle system in Final Fantasy XIII revolved around powers the characters obtained as a result of becoming l'Cie. With their focus complete and the Fal'Cie destroyed, we can reasonably wonder whether or not they still have these powers. At the very least, I would expect a change in the battle system that could reflect this possible change.

Further, a number of plot elements discussed regarding the Maker and the world's mythology was relatively poorly addressed. When the characters reached Gran Pulse and started to explore there and started getting history lessons, I thought the plot was finally taking a turn for the interesting. Then everything ended in a pretty poorly plotted deus ex machina. FFXIII-2 has the potential to pick up the pieces that FFXIII dropped in this regard.

Also, given Final Fantasy X-2's utter failure (for as much crap as I give Final Fantasy X, I thought it was one of the best-told stories in the series even if I didn't really end up liking the story as some of the others, if that makes sense) to deliver as a sequel, I think worried comparisons to the only other numbered sequel in the series is valid.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Who knows, I'm not feeling Lightning's "Sophia from SC" inspired new outfit
    Because Namco invented armor...
    More like you have to be smurfing blind not to notice the similarities and this wasn't even a real jab at the game.

part of me wonders how combat and customization will work since everything depended on them being l'Cie.
    Apparently you missed the entire first part of the game where they were all fighting BEFORE becoming l'cie...
    You mean the first 3 boring hours of the game where all I could do was hit attack and throw grenades, oh that's going to be fun. How about you stop and think about the fact my comment was about how you are going to make an engaging combat system when you wrote out the ability to use magic instead of making baseless and irrelevant comments?

Is this game finally going to address the biggest missing elements from XIII's plot, mainly the fate of humanity from Gran Pulse and the "enemy from beyond"?
    Fang and Vanille explained, in depth, how this happened...did you skip the cutscenes?
    I'm referring to the Analects which tells me only one of us really played this game.

I have no intention of buying the game but it doesn't mean I can't still ponder how a sequel would even work or whether it will actually answer all the plot holes and story elements that were introduced and never gone into. The fact it comes off as a troll response is just showing how much XIII had some shoddy writing and problems cause simply stating the obvious shows how poorly thought out everything was. Course a real grasp of the game and a few minutes of actually thinking about what I was saying instead of trying desperately (and pathetically) to troll me would have made you come out looking better from all of this.

Edit: Thank you Ouch!

As much as the plot of XIII got lost somewhere around Barthandelus (or whatever his name is) was revealed as a fal'Cie, there were aspects of the story that were good. I quite enjoyed the political fear mongering that was evident throughout the game, as well as the semi-Matrix feel of the machines providing for humanity to harvest them later.

The characters were believable (for video game standards) and they drove the game for me. They're personalities were crafted by their histories and they changed semi-realistically based on their circumstances.

Ouch mentioned certain elements of X-2's story being likeable. I found that too - the setting with a world struggling to find its identity now that an ever-present oppressor is no longer continuing to cause fear in their lives. I liked the political parties and how they end up standing against each other because of their different views on the way to move forward. The rest of the story about Shenmue (or whatever his name was) & Lenne was a bit ridiculous and not particularly mature.

Hopefully XIII-2 will be able to continue with strong characters and at least an intriguing background, while filling in a mythology and putting together a good story. About Lightning's strength, there is mention of her searching for Pulsian technology in the epilogue, so maybe that is where she derives it. I doubt she'd let herself become a l'Cie again (and unless it is well explained, then that will dash all hopes). And from the epilogue, it seems that it is going to be an adventure to get Vanille and Fang out of stasis (which also resembles X-2's bringing Tidus back).

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

I think we shouldn't judge the game yet, or at least not make claims like how it's going to be the worst piece of filth ever, the unholy mother of @$$. It's not E.T. for the Atari, people. Granted that previous Final Fantasy sequels have been hit or miss for most people and the critical reaction to them has been mixed as well. It's human to do so, of course, but that doesn't change the fact that "previous sequels were bad so this is going to be THE WORST GAME EVER!" is a pretty baseless statement. ^^" Yes, I'm exagerating, I know, I know...

As it stands, we know nothing about the game aside from the fact that Lightning wears armour. I deem that too little to condemn a game by. Yes, I know, most people had (a lot of) complaints about XIII, and I won't deny that I agree the game had serious flaws. But XIII having those does not necesarily mean XIII-2 will too. Chances are big it will, I'll give everyone that much, but still. Comparing it to X-2 is logical, but not entirely fair either. X-2 was hit or miss for a lot of people. I never played it, I didn't like X enough to be interested in its sequel. But saying XIII-2 will be bad because X-2 was is kind of the same reasoning as saying XIII will be great because XII was (or insert whatever FF title you want here). And we all know how that turned out!

I'd say: the game deserves a (very small, if you will) chance. Brutally killing this 1 week old foetus of a game (yes, I know, it's been in development longer than that, but I'm talking about time we know the game exists and facts we know of the game), like what most seem inclined to do, is a bit much (just a bit!). At least let it be born before you beat it to death. No need for abortion. It makes Sazh his chocobo cry.

Wolf, not trying to troll you, but maybe try being 0,01 % optimistic and 99,99% pessimistic instead of the full 100% "No hope"? I know, it's hard, and XIII gave you little reason to hope, I know and respect that (months after I played it, I don't think much of it anymore either, I'll admit) but still, one never knows for sure, does he? Maybe one of the developers gets hit on the head by a crate of XIII games and suddenly sees the light. Then XIII will have ended up doing something good for you still!

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

This is kinda like Pixar putting out a Cars 2 movie. I mean of all the games to give a sequel to, they chose FFXIII? Weird.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    This is kinda like Pixar putting out a Cars 2 movie. I mean of all the games to give a sequel to, they chose FFXIII? Weird.
    That's... disturbingly accurate.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Wait a minute...Lightning...Lightning Mcqueen...PIXAR SQUARE ENIX CONSPIRACY!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

You guys are hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    Oh get off your high horse, dude.
    No thanks, I'm far too comfortable up here!

Final Fantasy XIII was the only Final Fantasy game I've ever returned because I never wanted to touch it again after I beat it. There's no use discussing what about the game disappointed me so much since that's a conversation that's been had over and over. There are legitimate reasons to dislike Final Fantasy XIII, and a bunch of people did, in fact, dislike it. Just because they were optimistic, bought a copy, played it, and ended up hating it doesn't mean they feel like they had no other choice. I had to force myself to finish FFXIII because I love the series; still thought it was a piece of crap, though.
    And, believe it or not, THERE WERE PEOPLE WHO LIKED IT TOO! ZOMG!!!! Myself being one of those people. It's all matter of opinion, and I've never insisted otherwise. It's fine if you don't like it. And why would you force yourself to finish a game you don't like just because it has "Final Fantasy" stamped on it?

The battle system in Final Fantasy XIII revolved around powers the characters obtained as a result of becoming l'Cie. With their focus complete and the Fal'Cie destroyed, we can reasonably wonder whether or not they still have these powers. At the very least, I would expect a change in the battle system that could reflect this possible change.
    Thank you for stating my very point...

Further, a number of plot elements discussed regarding the Maker and the world's mythology was relatively poorly addressed. When the characters reached Gran Pulse and started to explore there and started getting history lessons, I thought the plot was finally taking a turn for the interesting. Then everything ended in a pretty poorly plotted deus ex machina. FFXIII-2 has the potential to pick up the pieces that FFXIII dropped in this regard.
    Fair enough. I agree that many plot points weren't fleshed out and elaborating on them is much needed. I hope XIII-2 does this.

Also, given Final Fantasy X-2's utter failure (for as much crap as I give Final Fantasy X, I thought it was one of the best-told stories in the series even if I didn't really end up liking the story as some of the others, if that makes sense) to deliver as a sequel, I think worried comparisons to the only other numbered sequel in the series is valid.
    Did I ever say a comparison to X-2 was unfair? Nope. I agree 100%. But then I loved X-2 too.

More like you have to be smurfing blind not to notice the similarities and this wasn't even a real jab at the game.
    More like you have an extremely limited imagination (or are very young) to compare her new look to, of all characters, one from SoulCalibur. Name calling is fun!

You mean the first 3 boring hours of the game where all I could do was hit attack and throw grenades, oh that's going to be fun. How about you stop and think about the fact my comment was about how you are going to make an engaging combat system when you wrote out the ability to use magic instead of making baseless and irrelevant comments?
    I frankly didn't find that portion of the game boring, but it was by far the least intriguing battle wise, I'll agree. And how about YOU try comprehending my comment before calling it irrelevant and baseless? I wasn't implying that XIII-2 would, could, or should be like the first three hours of XIII, but rather, that those first 3 hours of XIII are proof to the contrary of your comment; the entire battle system was not based off them being l'cie nor is a battle system with them not being l'cie impossible.

I'm referring to the Analects which tells me only one of us really played this game.
    So am I. I also finished all 64 mission to unlock and read them all. Nice try though. Perhaps I'm not hip to what the kids consider "really playing a game" is now. Oh well!

I have no intention of buying the game but it doesn't mean I can't still ponder how a sequel would even work or whether it will actually answer all the plot holes and story elements that were introduced and never gone into. The fact it comes off as a troll response is just showing how much XIII had some shoddy writing and problems cause simply stating the obvious shows how poorly thought out everything was. Course a real grasp of the game and a few minutes of actually thinking about what I was saying instead of trying desperately (and pathetically) to troll me would have made you come out looking better from all of this.
    I'll let you in on a little secret: (SPOILER)Just because someone disagrees with you/points out your inconsistencies equals not trolling, and when you resort to calling something trolling that isn't anywhere near trolling, it's just sad. But thank you for playing, and the hearty laughs your post provided me.

Edit: Thank you Ouch! Your post helped provoke the post that provided my evening entertainment. I'll be back tomorrow night!
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

OMG! It's so true.

champagne supernova: I agree there were some good elements in XIII but it's there total squandering that bothered me about the game. It could have been meaningful and settled for sub par and since it's the same team, it's not very unlikely they may make the same mistake. With that said, it's not like XIII doesn't have a lot of elements that can be used to make a sequel, perhaps even a good sequel, the sad truth is that it does and it's just kinda sad that the game really seemed like it was made for that very reason.

Elpizo: It was not trolling just a call for civility and I can appreciate that.

Yes, I'm too negative when it comes to XIII (and FFX, SE, Nojima, Motomu Toriyama, the Compilation of VII, fun, Zelda, the future of gaming, Sony, and the laughter of children... etc...) and I can't say for sure how the game itself will be, but I can say with some certainty that the game has little hope of impressing me unless that dev guy does get the cosmic boot to the head he needs

Toriyama's team just has a very bad track record with me, as he has pretty much made all of my least favorite titles from SE in the past decade (FFX, FFX-2, FFXII:RW, and FFXIII). He's got a lot going against him for me, but its not like he's trying to make this game for me, nor should he, this belongs to the actual XIII fans and possible the people on the fence about the title. I probably won't pick it up but I'm sure I will probably play it at some point, just not on release day... or maybe not even this console generation. There is always a possibility of some hope, but I leave that for the other people like Ouch!, Roogle, and Bolivar to point out. I prefer to stay on the pessimistic side cause at least then it takes a lot to get disappointed and more often then not, I'm usually impressed (like with the trailer for Versus XIII).

DMKA: Wow... um way to retort without actually making a point or actually addressing anything relevant. I'm not going to respond cause its a waste of my time and you obviously wouldn't get it anyway.