Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy XIII-2

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    As long as the world is still so empty, I am not really interested. I liked the characters, the music, the gameplay, but the world was just soooo disengaging. When a few hunks of stone have more dialogue than random NPCs in your game, you know something is wrong.
    I want unique NPCs not random. Anyway, i don't think it will make or break the game.

Sorry, should have made a better word choice. I meant NPCs who aren't directly tied to the story or conflict for the whole game.

I mean, compare this game to other FF games. Apart from the main heros, we have, what, a dozen other characters? Versus all the lovely little NPCs we got in the other games? Face it, if you aren't an named NPC in XIII, you might as well not exist, because you will spout one line of dialogue that has zero personality. I mean, part of why FFVII was so popular was that it had an engaging world that felt alive, and part of that was because of characters like Joe and Estelle, Dio, Lord Godo, Shera, Don Corneo, Palmer, the Chocobo Sage, Dyne and Mr. Coates, not to mention how many hundred other unnamed NPCs who nevertheless have personalities and make the world seem alive?
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

This lack of depth is pretty much the problem of every aspect of FF13
    This twenty-year-old boy was distinguished from childhood by strange qualities, a dreamer and an eccentric. A girl fell in love with him, and he went and sold her to a brothel...

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Sorry, should have made a better word choice. I meant NPCs who aren't directly tied to the story or conflict for the whole game.

I mean, compare this game to other FF games. Apart from the main heros, we have, what, a dozen other characters? Versus all the lovely little NPCs we got in the other games? Face it, if you aren't an named NPC in XIII, you might as well not exist, because you will spout one line of dialogue that has zero personality. I mean, part of why FFVII was so popular was that it had an engaging world that felt alive, and part of that was because of characters like Joe and Estelle, Dio, Lord Godo, Shera, Don Corneo, Palmer, the Chocobo Sage, Dyne and Mr. Coates, not to mention how many hundred other unnamed NPCs who nevertheless have personalities and make the world seem alive?
    I always was under the impression that not only are there NPCs (you don't talk to them specifically, but you do overhear what they say), but the reason you don't have much involvement with them is because you're trying to not be noticed. It fitted the atmosphere of the game, much like the linearity did. Unfortunately, that didn't make for the best gameplay in the world.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    To be fair, I also agree that FF13 is probably the most apt of all the titles for a sequel. Though a lot of it rides on how poor the ending was and unfleshed out the story was.
    It's kind of true that it was shall we say lazy writing, that made it need a sequel in the first place. Maybe it should be released as a free service pack

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post

I always was under the impression that not only are there NPCs (you don't talk to them specifically, but you do overhear what they say), but the reason you don't have much involvement with them is because you're trying to not be noticed. It fitted the atmosphere of the game, much like the linearity did. Unfortunately, that didn't make for the best gameplay in the world.
    Yes, it does seem to fit the storyline. But I don't think it created the atmosphere it should have. It doesn't feel hostile, oppressive, or unwelcoming, just empty. There have been plenty of other RPGs that have conveyed that sort of attitude much better (the idea of hostile villagers is hardly something new to XIII). And it also undercut the player's connection to the world, which is one of the biggest mistakes I think an RPG can make.
    Last edited by Skyblade; 01-24-2011 at 01:24 AM.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

First details :
    -XIII's ATB returns.
    -XIII-2's story begins in Gran Pulse after the ending of XIII.
    -Won't feature jpop feel like X-2(no dancing Lightning booooo).
    -Difficulty selection
    -Other characters will return, but expect them to be different.

Blog Entries

Yes, it does seem to fit the storyline. But I don't think it created the atmosphere it should have. It doesn't feel hostile, oppressive, or unwelcoming, just empty. There have been plenty of other RPGs that have conveyed that sort of attitude much better (the idea of hostile villagers is hardly something new to XIII). And it also undercut the player's connection to the world, which is one of the biggest mistakes I think an RPG can make.
    Agreed.

I think the worst decision they made was to make the Pulse people long-wiped-out. It would've been far more engaging to find that Pulse cities and their people were still around even if only in small settlements and being able to explore their culture, maybe have some things that you have to do to earn the trust of the Pulsians etc.

But no.
    {For those old enough to remember or geeky enough to watch 70s sci-fi - "There is nooooooo Sanctuary", heck there's not even an old man looking after some cats}
    There's nothing but monsters, animated stones and rubble
    Last edited by Cloudane; 01-25-2011 at 03:12 PM.

Default NEW INFO!

Quote Originally Posted by Siliconera
    No Pop Songs For Final Fantasy XIII-2, Sequel Will Explain Events In XIII

By Spencer . January 25, 2011 . 12:59am

ffx132Also in Dengeki, there are some new details about Final Fantasy XIII-2. Producer Yoshinori Kitase and director Motomu Toriyama make it clear that Final Fantasy XIII-2 won’t have a pop feel like Final Fantasy X-2. By playing Final Fantasy XIII-2 you’ll see the complete story. This game will cover the events behind the scenes of Final Fantasy XIII and have a dark feel to it. The story will have mysteries and won’t be straightforward.

The game picks up where Final Fantasy XIII ends and the booklet from the booklet bundled in Final Fantasy XIII Ultimate Hits International. Players will search for a gate to the invisible world called Bunibelle. Etro, a goddess, will be a central character in the story. While we’ve only seen Lightning and her rival, other characters from Final Fantasy XIII will return too. Other characters from Final Fantasy XIII will return with major and unexpected changes. The team says the battle system is evolved and to please wait for a future report regarding changes. Easy mode, a feature added to Final Fantasy XIII Ultimate Hits International, is under consideration for the sequel.

Dengeki’s interview also notes that the development team listened to criticism from people outside of the company and overseas. Opinions regarding the characters, story, and interface were taken in.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

what's the source?

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    what's the source?
    Well I can tell you must have dazzled your elementary teachers with your reading skills! In the article it clears says "Dengeki" magazine (very popular in Japan)
    No Pop Songs For Final Fantasy XIII-2, Sequel Will Explain Events In XIII // Siliconera
    Last edited by nirojan; 01-25-2011 at 09:44 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Well yeah I was the top in my class when it came to it. I got high marks and was at least a couple of grades above my class reading level and in addition I won my class spelling bee.
    Thanks for the source link.

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    Well yeah I was the top in my class when it came to it. I got high marks and was at least a couple of grades above my class reading level and in addition I won my class spelling bee.
    Thanks for the source link.
    Ahh, I believe congrats are in order.

Blog Entries

Sounds good. I always get a bit concerned when everything that is coming out is described as "dark" but as long as it's not an onslaught of depression, which I'm sure it won't be by the end, it's all good.

The talk of major character changes is interesting. They pretty much seemed like fixed characters. Is it just a hint that Fang and Vanille will thaw out, will there be something stupid like one of the good guys turning bad (please don't make Hope a Sasuke. Thanks.)? Sazh getting a haircut?

Friend will be over the moon at the easy mode as he always goes for the easy mode in this type of game (more of a watcher than a player). It was his first FF - and pretty much first RPG - so he got extremely irritated at the difficulty of XIII at times. Admittedly with some of the bosses (Proudclod), so did I!

Great to hear they've been listening to the people. Obviously this has to be done with care (as car inventor Henry Ford said, if he'd asked the people what they wanted they would've said "a faster horse") but it's still very beneficial to do that if it's with balance which it sounds like it could be. And they did need to listen a bit with this one Also that's two positive changes (back) for the better that I've heard about S-E in one hour. It sounds like they may have noticed the way things had been going - great news.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Our very first fanart

Dengeki previews

Reishiki

XIII-2
    Last edited by ShinGundam; 01-27-2011 at 03:14 AM.