Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Versus XIII Trailer

Can someone direct me to a link where Nomra specifically says he is eternally in love with Sony and won't allow Versus XIII to go multi-plat? He seems like a responsible developer who is trying to ensure quality over anything else but never seemed against the 360. At the end of the day if the game is good who cares.

I've watched the trailer a few more times (which is much harder to find now that Square are on the prowl). I like how the artists restrained themselves with the overall look of the game. Giving the game a more realistic look was the best decision Square made. Parts of the game look right out of Yakuza......and thats awesome. One exception is the character that pops up near the end (the one with the lance type thingy), who's design is simply god awful.

The combat looks like Crisis Core which is both good and bad. The good is that Crisis Core was a great game. The bad is that it was a great game.......for the PSP. I hope they expand on what they did with Crisis Core and offer more than button mashing. When I'm sat on my sofa pumped up on Red Bull I'd rather play a game that offers some degree of challenge. Also Crisis Core wasn't a particulary open game, which is something I hope Versus XIII is. I'm all for spectacle but I hope Versus XIII is more than just that or it'll likely be another XIII.

Finally I'm just glad that we have some proper footage to look at. Square are still slacking considering the game was announced nearly 5 years ago but it does look good Ill give them that. Fingers crossed for a 2012 release date.

I think the battle system is more like KH than CC, which I personally prefer. KH's battle system felt faster paced, more engaging and visually was better than CC imo. The only reason it may resemble CC over KH is that the games is less cartoony and darker looking. But execs should realise that they're not the makers of a game. All they need to do is sign cheques and leave the creative side and decisions involving the direction of the game(including which platform to release it on) to Nomura and his team.

As for it being a PS3 exclusive I'm oretty sure Sony are happy about that. It may boost sales of the PS3 for a short time. I mean, after watching that trailer how can you not want to play it? If I never had a PS3 I would have bought one for this (which I actually did). I don't buy a lot of games and stuff, so when I do, price is not an option, especially for quality. Take a hint 360 owners :P
    When we dance, it looks just like Fire.

When we sing, it sounds the same tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    Can someone direct me to a link where Nomra specifically says he is eternally in love with Sony and won't allow Versus XIII to go multi-plat?
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-ps3-exclusive

It doesn't really say that he is in love with the PS3 platform. I just like the fact that it says: he stood his ground. It could be on anything and I'd like.

It looks just like Crisis Core... Button Mashing with no real strategy. :/

I hope I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusty Justy View Post

I hope I'm wrong.
    Of course, it would be easy-mode if you're like over-leveled and over-powered. This is common in most RPG games. So, in this case, don't expect the game to be harder if you grind.

If Versus remains an exclusive and turns out to be far, far better than XIII upon the release, then it will be proof that it was 360's fault for making XIII so crappy. Of course, you could argue that the KH team is developing Versus and that XIII had a different team, but still...

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    The combat looks like Crisis Core which is both good and bad. The good is that Crisis Core was a great game. The bad is that it was a great game.......for the PSP. I hope they expand on what they did with Crisis Core and offer more than button mashing. When I'm sat on my sofa pumped up on Red Bull I'd rather play a game that offers some degree of challenge. Also Crisis Core wasn't a particulary open game, which is something I hope Versus XIII is. I'm all for spectacle but I hope Versus XIII is more than just that or it'll likely be another XIII.
    Actually, it just the visual presentation feels more grounded unlike KH which is more of cartoony and flashy experience but i can see your point. Anyway, At this point it is really hard to read the moveset of characters not to mention they still hide some parts of "command menu" and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusty Justy View Post

I hope I'm wrong.
    If you look at the top-right corner, there is some bar that is filling up or counting down. It could be some form of ATB perhaps? But seeing that this is a Nomura game, it is most likely going to be like Kingdom Hearts than Crisis Core.

Anyway, I'm still excited.

And as a PS3 owner, I am going to come out and say this: you can't blame Xbox for the way XIII turned out. Blame the executives perhaps, but the multi-platform release is marginal. As far as I recall, they only really started with the port after the Japanese release anyway.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

^
    ^
    No ATBs/turns in Nomura games.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Here's another link for the trailer. Watch it before SE finds it.

I'm actually really surprised. I finally got to see what I wanted from this game and that was actual live gameplay footage and I must say I'm pretty psyched for the gameplay side of things. I'm still counting on Nojima to ruin the plot for me by having lame ass plot twist that will ruin most of the good ideas of the game and feel completely out of left field but seriously, Versus just showed a ton of crap that makes me actually hope for a moment that FF is not dead.

It looks more like KH, CC was not nearly that fluid and always felt more like a poor man's action rpg as opposed to KH which has evolved into something interesting with BbS. I'm curious to know how the battle system will work and if the game has any major customization systems or even stuff like summons. The game looks pretty bad ass in motion and I like the cinematic camera work with the dungeon explorations. Despite the straightforward designs, of some of the city parts, the camera creates a sense of motion that makes you forget about it. Finally someone payed attention to Suikoden III. Getting into vehicles was also pretty bad ass. I sort of have to laugh cause while Toriyama and Kitase were brainstorming ways to redefine the JRPG genre and create a new genre with XIII by cutting out everything that makes the genre enjoyable, it looks like Nomura may have actually done it, by actually adding back all the stuff Square and SE have removed from the genre since FFX.

Yeah, it does look too quick to be ATB. But I am very curious as to what that bar is. To be honest, ATB doesn't faze me too much. Vagrant Story wasn't ATB and is probably my favourite Squenix game of all time (I still need to finish Chrono Trigger though).

I think that Versus XIII could have something that has been lacking in the last who knows how many FFs - an epic villain who appears at a decent time in the game instead of being tacked on at the end. Reckon Sephiroth was the last of those (although some might argue Kuja).

And that is what I've liked about Versus above XIII. It looks like it's had a clear vision from the beginning instead of having a whole ideas thrown into it and then sort of meshed together to work as a story (and of later FFs, gameplay).

EDIT: Oh, did you look at the outdoor areas. They look big. Like properly Gran Pulse centre area big.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

What is with Square Enix taking down these videos? I swear to god, this company has no idea how to actually interact with their customers. If they don't want random Youtubers uploading the trailer, then they should just upload it onto their own youtube channel. Sheesh.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by champagne supernova View Post
    Yeah, it does look too quick to be ATB. But I am very curious as to what that bar is. To be honest, ATB doesn't faze me too much. Vagrant Story wasn't ATB and is probably my favourite Squenix game of all time (I still need to finish Chrono Trigger though).

I think that Versus XIII could have something that has been lacking in the last who knows how many FFs - an epic villain who appears at a decent time in the game instead of being tacked on at the end. Reckon Sephiroth was the last of those (although some might argue Kuja).
    Yeah you had problems with the last boss too?
    I don't see why would anybody argue that Kuja was tacked on til the end of the game. He was present on the first disc and you had to know he was evil on first sight and he was the primary enemy in the later part of disc 2.

I hope Veruss turns out good. I noticed a fire spell that looks almost identical to the one in KHII.
    Last edited by Depression Moon; 01-21-2011 at 12:48 AM.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    What is with Square Enix taking down these videos? I swear to god, this company has no idea how to actually interact with their customers. If they don't want random Youtubers uploading the trailer, then they should just upload it onto their own youtube channel. Sheesh.
    SQUARE-ENIX
    Videos are bit laggy, SQEX will put HD videos soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by champagne supernova
    Yeah you had problems with the last boss too?
    I don't see why would anybody argue that Kuja was tacked on til the end of the game. He was present on the first disc and you had to know he was evil on first sight and he was the primary enemy in the later part of disc 2.
    Not arguing about when he was appeared but about him being an epic villain. I never found him particularly evil or intensely powerful like Kefka or Sephiroth. He was a villain in my mind, not an epic villain.

I know this has been said before but I wish they would change the name of Versus XIII to something else. I really enjoyed XIII but think that renaming Agito XIII was a step in teh right direction and they need to rename this one too. Heck, maybe even Final Fantasy XV if the game is fleshed out enough and similar enough to the games in the seiries. I am guessing it won't be so they won't do that. Still, I think renaming it would help the especially after the mixed reception XIII got. Regardless, it's just a title...

As far as the trailer goes, I am hoping the battle system isn't like KH. It has been established that I am a XIII fan but I will admit that XIII has little replay value and I need more FF! Big console FF, not psp or DS FF. I don't know why everyone thinks hack 'n slash gameplay is the future of FF or should be, the ATB/turn based battles set FF apart combat-wise. I hope it is some type fo ATB system or at least not purely hack 'n slash, I want some restrictions on my characters so I will have to strategize, no button-mashing! Theer are pletny of games to play if you want a button masher, such as Bayonetta and Darksiders were button mashing leads to somehow triggering a obscenely powerful and flashy move. Anyway... the art style of Versus XIII is different, and I am against the grain on this aspect as well, as I don't think FF needs to start featuring more guns. I don't know why people are tired of swords and sorcery... but at least there is magic and swords (which there appears to be, Noctis has a sword) I can dig it. Final Fantasy has always been about mixing fantasy with technology (steampunk) and this inner-city/modern theme might be cool but I just hope there is plenty of magic and fantasy as well. Anyway, Squeeniz change the name of this game.
    Lamia's Tiara- Headgear in FFIX
    Lamia's Flute- Weapon for Eiko in FFIX
    Lamia in FFV- a enemy
    appearance: a lady with long brown hair, wearing a tiara...half woman and half snake.
    Lamia in FF3j- A Harp
    Lamia in FFL2- An enemy
    FF2j Queen Lamia, at one point she even gets Frionel in a bedroom with her and jumps on the bed and says "take me!".. before she turns into her snakey self. She serves as a mini boss in this game (as Queen Lamia).. and after you fight her as a mini boss, regular lamia's become random foes and later on in the game, Queen Lamia's become random foes as well.
    LamiaScl. an item that paralyzes foes.
    According to legend, she was once a Libyan queen (or princess) who fell in love with Zeus. Zeus' jealous wife Hera deformed her into a monster and murdered their offspring. She also made Lamia unable to close her eyes, so that she couldn't find any rest from the obsessing image of her dead children. When Zeus saw what had be done to Lamia, he felt pity for her and gave his former lover a gift: she could remove her eyes, and then put them on again. This way, though sleepless, she could rest from her misfortune. Lamia envied other the other mothers and took her vengeance by stealing their children and devouring them.